By now most know MY favorite is RAIDEN PROJECT. RAIDEN is ok but RAIDEN 2 is soooo much better....love that homing ray. Even though I've downloaded lots of shooters on MAME, it remains my favorite. And I'm not alone, someone just tried to buy it from me for the third time...NO WAY!
Second place would be DARIUS, then THUNDERFORCE 1 & 2.
As for worst, no shooter is as bad as STARFOX for the Atari 2600 by Mythicon. Firefly and Sorceror are bad as well, but Starfox...pick up a dot, shoot a black circle, pick up a dot, shoot a...ugh! Close behind would be SOLAR STRIKER for Gameboy. That was my third GB game after Super Mario and Revenge of the Gator and I was looking for a GOOD shooting game...imagine my dissapointment! Talk about tedious and screechy and blurry!!!
Raiden Project? Who would want to take that hunk of junk off of your hands?
I am a shooter fan but definitely not an aficianado (I haven't played too many of them). My favorite shooter, and one of my all-time favorite games period, is Life Force (NES). I grew up with that game. My least favorite? Well, I'm a little fuzzy on it but I remember renting and hating The Guardian Legend (NES).
Ikaruga might make my top 2 or 3 shooters. The polarity switching idea really is cool, and the demos + slow motion practice have probably trained me more than any other shooter. I also remember Solar Strikers being one of my favorite GB games (I didn't have many though).
2. [Thunder Force 3]
3. [Gate of Thunder]
4. [Zanac (NES)]
5. [Mars Matrix]
7. [Radiant Silvergun]
8. [Battle Garegga]
10.[Thunder Force 4]
11. [MUSHA Aleste]
12. [Zero Gunner 2]
15. [Gunbird 2]
16. [Aleste 2]
17. [Armed Police Batrider]
18. [Lords of Thunder]
19. [Soldier Blade]
20. [Shikigami no Shiro 2]
21. [Lifeforce (NES)]
24. [Blazing Lazers]
I don't own any Raiden or Thunderforce games, I do need to pick up some.
Right now, besides Meteos, I'm playing nothing but Viewpoint(Neo-Geo cd) and Ranger-X(Genesis).
As for the greatest-ever vertical shooter for Atari 2600, that's a tie between Millipede and Megamania. Space Invaders hasn't aged well IHMO, despite it being my favorite 2600 game growing up for a few years.
I own 2600 Star Fox, I only bought it because it's obvious novelty value(you know...Nintendo..same name..different game).
The system that had the best vertical shooters ever was the Dreamcast, no doubt. Mars Matrix, Gunbird 2, Gigawing 2........must-haves!
I'm hoping to score "Ninja Commando" for Neo-Geo Cd soon. It's a vertical shooter, only you control actual people(ninjas), sort of like Genesis classic "Elemental Master"
1. River Raid for the Atari 5200 or 8bit computer. Love it for its simplicity, better than the 2600 original version. Amazing game for its day, just compare it with "3D Tic Tac Toe" and other lame 2600 games! * note that Carol Shaw coded both River Raid and 3D Tic Tac Toe!
2. MUSHA on Sega Genesis. Simply an outstanding title. The Sega CD game Robo Aleste is like a sequel, both games by Compile. Anyway, if you never played MUSHA you are missing out on a fun and impressive vertical shooter featuring feudal Japan era scenes with sci-fi mech robots .. the part where you fly through a lightning storm while battling mace-twirling other mechs hidden in the clouds ... wow!
3. Radiant Silvergun on Sega Saturn. You'd think this would be on a Treasure compilation by now. Every bit as good as its fans say, different from most other shooters in execution, that's why I like it. The Saturn hardware is really cooking with this one.
4. Darius Gaiden on Sega Saturn. Great horizontal shooter but hard as nails. I love the Godzilla sounding boss samples too, and the Zuntata space opera music. Lots of ways to proceed thru the A-to-Z levels, lots of hidden powerups and stuff.
5. Thunderforce 3 and Lightening Force on Genesis -- I can never tell which I prefer. Both are excellent.
6. The Dreamcast shooters ... Mars Matrix, then Giga Wing, then GigaWing2, then that Gunbird2.
7. Ikaruga on GCN ... I don't play it much anymore but loved it intensely for 2 months.
WHY DO YOU USE SUCH TINY TEXT ON YOUR POSTS?
SHOUT IT OUT MAN< MINE EYES ARE NOT SO GOOD!
1. Carol shaw also made the never released Polo as well
as River raid for the 400/800. Plus she is very cute.
2.Been looking for Musha a loooong time....
3.Been looking for Radiant silvergun almost as long.
4. Have Darius G for Saturn, though Darius X on Playstation
really wipes the floor with that one. It is one Beautiful game!
5. I still prefer Thunderforce 2, believe it or not.
6. Don't have a Dreamcast (wahhhhhh!)
7. Don't have a GCN (eh..too late now. Revolution time.)
ZEN " You Don't even own a Dreamcast!?"
Guys, give me a BREAK! I am gaming on a severely limited budget and had to save up two months just to get the DS.
I am trying to set a little aside to eventually get a PS3 or
revolution, whichever looks better. But that will be like 6 months.
As for Dreamcast...our store got one in but I didn't buy it because WE HAD NO DC games! Yes I know it is a wonderful system,
but if you can't get games..and remember, no CC, no Ebay.
Believe me, if I had $200 to spend and a good deal, if I could find a DC with at least one shooter, I would....
I thought Strikers 45 was for PSone?