Best/worst SHMUPS?

General and high profile video game topics.
John Rowland

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby John Rowland » August 7th, 2005, 10:51 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]

JR"You mean you're not going to buy next gen after all?"

[/QUOTE]

You added a "not" to my quote.  I was just surprised to hear you even entertain the idea at all. 

Alienblue

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby Alienblue » August 7th, 2005, 6:19 pm

Sorry John, I still haven't figured out this user interface...most
of the stuff like "QUOTE" will not work on my i-Mac..notice I
always USE CAPS instead of boldface? Only the "smileys"
seem to work, sometimes. >

John Rowland

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby John Rowland » September 18th, 2005, 2:05 pm

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]I know this makes me a Godless heathen, but I really feel that Xevious and Ikargua are boring as crap. I know those two games are considered shooter classics, but they bore me to death.

[/QUOTE]

I recenlty played my first DC shooter, Giga Wing, and while I am having a blast with it, it also reminded me why I like Ikaruga so much.  I think Treasure was trying to avoid Dave's complaint (and mine too) about losing your ship amidst all the chaos and color.  Ikaruga might not look as exciting, but, though extremely hard, it is also completely masterable because you can always tell what's going on, and there's always an out thanks to memorizable patterns and polarity switching.  Ikaruga can be taken down with calculated precision; Giga Wing requires frantic button mashing and twitchy reflexive play.  I do like the over-the-top visuals and eye candy of Giga Wing though, and I think both games have their place, but if these were movies, Giga Wing would be the glitzy Hollywood blockbuster and Ikaruga the sophisticated art film. 

Dave: I don't know how much time you spent with Ikaruga but I think that if you took the time to master a few levels (watch some of the demos) you would see what a work of art the game is; it deserves more than a "B"!

Zenzerotron

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby Zenzerotron » September 18th, 2005, 2:51 pm

Although it's rare and near-impossible to find, Giga Wing 2 is a HUGE improvement over the first game. It's my second favorite Dreamcast shooter, Mars Matrix being number one.

I'd say that the first Giga Wing is the weakest overhead shooter for Dreamcast.

Speaking of overhead shooters, I've always wanted Raiden Project for PSone, but could never ever find it. If anyone here knows of an honest online store that sells it, let me know.

I don't have any Raiden games in my library at all, I'm a fooking disgrace.

John Rowland

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby John Rowland » September 18th, 2005, 5:05 pm

I was only a casual shooter fan until recently, but now I'm getting REALLY into them.  They are perfect quick play games, and now that I work 40-50 hours a week that's just what the doctor ordered.  I like Giga Wing enough to have bought Gunbird 2 today on Ebay, and I bet you I'll have Giga Wing 2 in a day or two.  If Mars Matrix is the best I'll have to get that too, but why did Dave give it the lowest score of the four? 

I also just got Darius Twin, G-Darius, and Raiden Project thanks to Blue's recs and Strikers 1945 thanks to the stink you have been making about it (and I emulated it - it's a good one!).  I'm also looking for In the Hunt and Einhander.

Are there any good PS2 shooters out there?  I only have Gradius V. 

mappy mouse pd

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby mappy mouse pd » September 18th, 2005, 5:38 pm

If Mars Matrix is the best I'll have to get that too, but why did Dave give it the lowest score of the four?

Got me.  I rarely agree with Dave's shooter reviews, especially the Mars Matrix and and Galactic Attack reviews.  Mars Matrix adds an extra level of strategy to the vertical shooter genre, and it takes a lot of quick thinking.  I love it even though it kicks my ass.

I think every shooter fan with a Dreamcast should track down the import game Zero Gunner 2.  It's a solid shooter with a cool gimmick--you can hold down a button and turn in any direction. 

Zenzerotron

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby Zenzerotron » September 18th, 2005, 11:37 pm

Well Mr Rowland, let's get 2 things straight....

1. Zen is always right
2. When I "make a stink" about a game, there should be no question in your mind, you must buy it, and you will like it, because.........*see number 1*

Good night

John Rowland

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby John Rowland » September 19th, 2005, 10:08 am

You've got a pretty good track record, I'll give you that, Ranger-X buddy!

Zenzerotron

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby Zenzerotron » September 20th, 2005, 12:15 am

I guess putting on my rubber Troll suit offends no one, too pretenious to be believable.

Here's one I'm not so sure of........"No Escape" for Atari 2600.  I love this game to  death. It's one of the very few Atari 2600 games I can waste an hour on without noticing; and it's a big whooping "C" for the VGC. Perhaps I'm this game's only fan.

Alienblue

Best/worst SHMUPS?

Postby Alienblue » September 20th, 2005, 7:10 am

..no you're not Zen. I loved no escape. Sadly, it was one of the games I sold years ago ): but I remember the cool greek theme and funky breakout-style play. Better than OFF THE Wall for sure.

Return to “Video Games General”