Worst VGC Reviews?

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby VideoGameCritic » July 24th, 2007, 11:30 pm

Are there any reviews on this site that you do not regard very highly?  Perhaps there are a few you think I should redo?  Let's hear it!

KanYozakura

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby KanYozakura » July 24th, 2007, 11:49 pm

Personally, I think you should redo all of the reviews prior to '03, and update ones from '03 to '04.  Compared to your new review style, the old reviews aren't up to snuff.  I also think that you might have a new perspective on some of the games, given what's come out in the past 5 years and what you've played in the past 5 years.  The Dreamcast reviews especially seem a little bit outdated.  Just my two cents; I love the site to pieces and can't wait for the next update!

a1

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby a1 » July 25th, 2007, 12:59 am

Smash Bros. and Smash Bros. Melee. I used to defend you on the point that some people just don't like the style of those games, but the more I think about it the more I think you're not one of those people. You generally like the same types of action games I do, and I think if you practiced you'd realize that the games are a lot less hectic if you're skilled at them.

Critic, all I can say is that if you do try to play them again, maybe turn off items, or even do the practice mode. Also, avoid moving stages like Big Blue, Pokefloats, and the Ice Climbers stage. Then you can learn to play without it feeling as hectic and button-mashing oriented.  If you're good at rolling (hold block and press left or right on the joystick) the game is a lot more fun. My favorite characters are the sword holders: Marth, Link and their clones. I think you should give the games another try.

Alienblue

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby Alienblue » July 25th, 2007, 3:27 am

I'm begining to sound like a broken record but re-review Pole Position 2 on the 7800 AFTER you play the original coin-op on one of namco's compilations, if possible. It is practically identical and derseves a better grade. 2600 Super Breakout also got too way low a score. Are your controllers broken? This a a smashingly fun game, and so what if the artwork has nothing to do with the game? Most of the early 2600 games art did not. In fact there are several 2600 reviews you may want to rethink.

Atarifever1

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby Atarifever1 » July 25th, 2007, 6:33 am

I'll join Alienblue in the broken record club.  Please re-review Pole Position 2.  First play the horrible to control version on one of the compilation discs (but look to see if the 7800 version does in fact emulate the arcade game well).  Also, play Hang-on on SMS and remember that that too is a pack-in game.  That should put you in the proper frame of mind.  Try your very hardest not to judge Pole Position 2 on if it is, in fact, Super Mario Bros. as very, very few games ever made would come out looking very good in that comparison. 

MappyMousePD

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby MappyMousePD » July 25th, 2007, 10:35 am

Probably the Baseball Stars reviews for the NES.  The reviews don't really mention the features removed in the second game that make most fans go for the first one, like more customizing of teams.  And I'm not sure what you're talking about in the first review about there being no shadow (the screenshot clearly shows one). 

andrew

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby andrew » July 25th, 2007, 11:34 am

[QUOTE=MappyMousePD]Probably the Baseball Stars reviews for the NES.  The reviews don't really mention the features removed in the second game that make most fans go for the first one, like more customizing of teams.  And I'm not sure what you're talking about in the first review about there being no shadow (the screenshot clearly shows one). 
[/QUOTE]

Baseball stars 2 should be re-reviewed. Majority of fans of baseball stars including myself think the sequel is awful. Baseball stars is clearly superior should get an A while the sequel is a D+ title.

Koopa W.

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby Koopa W. » July 26th, 2007, 8:22 am

Yeah, I'd say nearly all the old reviews need updating.

And I haven't played it, but for God's sake, please re-review Pole Position 2 with a higher score.

JustLikeHeaven1

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » July 26th, 2007, 8:51 am

Some of your older reviews are very very short.  Its not that they are bad...its just that they don't seem to mesh well with the newer reviews. 

As for a couple of reviews I don't agree with I would have to go with Mutant League Football and Mutant League Hockey.  Those games are cult classics and Mutant League Football has arguably aged better than any other Genesis football game.  Its seriously the one of the few I can still play with friends.  Plus the large detailed characters look fantastic even today.  For the most fun play with "deaths on" and the death index set to 3. 

Mutant League Hockey isn't nearly as bad as you make it out to be.  It wasn't a good as Football, but it certainly didn't warrent the unplayable-like score you gave it.

Finally I think you should go back and re-review Return Fire.  You completely missed the boat on that one.  You try to compare it to something like Mass Destruction (Saturn) when it has nothing in common with that game other than the fact that you can use a tank.  Return Fire is a bonafide multiplayer classic, full of deep strategy and tense gameplay.  You should review the PS1 version since its sort of a "greatests hits" package.

Steerforth

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby Steerforth » July 26th, 2007, 11:13 am

Re-review all of the old reviews!?!?! That is madness!

I wouldn't change a thing, if thats how you felt, so be it.

Return to “Video Games General”