Worst VGC Reviews?

General and high profile video game topics.
Cataclysm1

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby Cataclysm1 » July 28th, 2007, 8:05 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]
I consider it a flaw when the game requires a large time investment before you begin to derive any enjoyment from it.  If the game is designed well, it can still be satisfying in the early stages (think Zelda).  Also, if a game is very difficult, I think that is another flaw (Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox is an example). 

I understand that these issues won't phase the hard-core types, but the other 90% of gamers will just say "hell with it" and move on.
[/QUOTE]

I am talking about arcade-type games. Hardcore games are nothing more than time sinks. But arcade-type games are very different. They are difficult because you cannot have easy games in the arcade. They match the difficulty with great intensity.

A good example is R-Type. The game is notoriously difficult. By your definition, you should have given R-Type a D+ because of the difficulty and that it requires mass memorization. The same could be said about Ikaruga. But you understand that this is the way of Shmups and you gave them good scores.

Contrast that with another arcade type game like F-Zero GX. It is notoriously difficult. But is it difficult because of bad level design? No. Is it difficult because of bad controls? No. It is difficult only because it is a Sega made arcade game.

Is Smash Brothers a "hardcore" game or is it more like an arcade-type game? While both are difficult, I think the difference is that the arcade-type game is accessible (you don't need a thousand tutorials). A game like Smash Brothers is very arcade-like in its combat (and FAR more accessible than the bizzaro secret button maneuvers one had to pull off in Street Fighter 2). It is the highest selling game on previous Nintendo hardware which should reflect that it isn't a hardcore game.

I have noticed arcade type games seem to confuse reviewers. Super Mario Strikers Charged is getting mixed reviews because it is an arcade-type game. Consumers love it and buy it in droves but reviewers will say stuff that it is "too hard" or "too random" or something else. The game is fun yet frustrating and they don't appear to grasp its arcade-type nature.

There is far difference between time intensive hardcore games and short burst arcade-type games. Arcade type games have a "Time-to-master" (a plus) while hardcore games have a "Time-to-play" (a minus).

voor

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby voor » July 29th, 2007, 4:02 pm

Everytime someone mentions Smash Bros.  it starts a debate.  I understand why....it's just like any other sport/hobby.  To me, bowling is just rolling a ball down a lane towards some pins.  Of course, I know it's a lot more than that (spins, right 'spots' on the lanes, etc.).....but I'm just not interested in it to invest thoughts learning about that stuff.

Smash Bros. is terriffic in my book, and I play it with just as much strategy as Street Fighter (actually more because of the landscape).  But then again, my brother and I used to play real life ping pong with 'power ups'--freezer, super serve, wrong hand,...all kinds of made of 'strategy' stuff.

Wallyworld1

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby Wallyworld1 » July 29th, 2007, 9:45 pm

I didn't care for the Cyborg Justice review.

When I was a teenager me and my buds played that game for hours and had a great time.  Granted I havn't played that game in 13 years or so I just remember it not deserving a F grade.

Tourian

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby Tourian » July 29th, 2007, 11:28 pm

My friends and I had a blast with Cyborg Justice when we were young too.  It was one of our favorite games.  I re-bought it as an adult, and yes the game is a little clunky, I'm glad I played it at an age where cool gimmicks could blind me to poor gameplay, as it served up a lot of great memories.  The novelty factor alone is enough to warrant a "D-" though Critic!

feilong801

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby feilong801 » July 30th, 2007, 1:39 am

I think some of the Smash Bros. love here comes from the idea that a reviewer ought to be able to recognize a well crafted, very good game that he or she just isn't into, and grade it accordingly.

I think The Critic does a good job with that for the most part, and even admits that the Smash Bros. might be well liked by others in the review.

-Rob

Atarifever1

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby Atarifever1 » July 30th, 2007, 2:55 pm

One small nitpick that I didn't think deserved it's own thread.  I think it is nfair in the "Commando" 7800 review to say:

[QUOTE]  My main complaint is the lack of a two-player simultaneous mode. [/QUOTE]

That almost makes it seem like it is an oversight.  In the arcade, Commando is a one player only game, unlike Ikari Warriors, and, like with most 7800 arcade conversions, this game seems to have been aimed at arcade accuracy.  Double Dragon had 2 players in the arcade, so it had 2 on the 7800.  Ikari Warriors had 2 players in the arcade, so it had 2 players on the 7800.  Thus, I assume Commando 7800 has only one player because that is what was in the arcade, and this isn't called "Commando plus" or "Commando 2".  I just think that in the review it's a little unfair to hold a console game from the 80s to a higher standard than the arcade original. 

a1

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby a1 » July 30th, 2007, 6:55 pm

[QUOTE=feilong80]I think some of the Smash Bros. love here comes from the idea that a reviewer ought to be able to recognize a well crafted, very good game that he or she just isn't into, and grade it accordingly.

I think The Critic does a good job with that for the most part, and even admits that the Smash Bros. might be well liked by others in the review.

-Rob
[/QUOTE]

Yes, I agree with that. I'd think even if someone didn't like the game they could see the attention to detail, depth, and good design that went into it. It would be one thing if he gave it a B because it wasn't his style, but a C grade implies that it is an average game, when clearly it isn't. It seems to me like it would be the same as me grading a game like Oblivion, a type of game I don't enjoy, and then giving it a C. That completely ignores the amount of depth in the game, and all of the polish put into it.

Really, there are no control issues, no level design issues, no depth issues, no graphics issues, and no sound issues. His only complaint is that it feels like "an exercise in button mashing", which is only true if you don't take the time to get good at the game. Anyone who tries to button mash against me gets their ass kicked.

Also, I'm sorry critic, but the complaint that you have in the Melee review against jumping on air  really annoys me. How many video games have you played? There are plenty of games with double jumps, and I can't see why it seems stupid to you in Smash Brothers.

cyberdalek

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby cyberdalek » July 31st, 2007, 10:07 pm

I really disagree with the Sonic CD review.  My jaw dropped when I first read the grade.  That game's got to be within my top 5 of all time.  I found it to be the most enjoyable Sonic game I ever played.

David Drolet

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby David Drolet » August 6th, 2007, 12:25 am

I was dispaointed with some of your review.

Mortal kombat 3 on the SNES is one of my favorite game and I can'T understand why it is rated low.

This is the same thing for Nhl Stanley Cup '93 who was an awsome game.

Atarifever1

Worst VGC Reviews?

Postby Atarifever1 » August 6th, 2007, 2:49 pm

[QUOTE=David Drolet]I was dispaointed with some of your review.

Mortal kombat 3 on the SNES is one of my favorite game and I can'T understand why it is rated low.

This is the same thing for Nhl Stanley Cup '93 who was an awsome game.
[/QUOTE]

I'm just going to say it, I think MK 2 is junk.  I think 3 is a much better game.

Return to “Video Games General”