Primal Rage

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Primal Rage

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 25th, 2005, 9:40 pm

Did you guys like my 3DO Primal Rage review?  I always though the mediocre home versions were due to hardware limitations, but playing the "arcade-perfect" version on a recent compilation, I now realize the game wasn't so great after all.

Does anybody love this game?

Funkmaster V

Primal Rage

Postby Funkmaster V » September 25th, 2005, 11:56 pm

Any fighting game that features a farting character as an attack is a game I pass on, thank you very much! Good review, though.

Vinnie

lowtech redneck

Primal Rage

Postby lowtech redneck » September 26th, 2005, 2:42 am

[QUOTE=Funkmaster V]

Any fighting game that features a farting character as an attack is a game I pass on, thank you very much! Good review, though.

Vinnie

[/QUOTE]

You're really missing out: Samurai Showdown is great!

I havn't played Primal Rage in years (I had the PS1 version).  I remember that I enjoyed the theme but hated the control.  I wouldn't reccomend buying it unless you could get it for under $5.

Atarifever1

Primal Rage

Postby Atarifever1 » September 28th, 2005, 10:45 am

[QUOTE=lowtech redneck][QUOTE=Funkmaster V]

Vinnie

[/QUOTE]

You're really missing out: Samurai Showdown is great!

I havn't played Primal Rage in years (I had the PS1 version).  I remember that I enjoyed the theme but hated the control.  I wouldn't reccomend buying it unless you could get it for under $5.

[/QUOTE]

That may be so, but I have the same rule so I don't guess I'll be playing it either.  A farting attack kind of takes away from some kind of legitamcy of the game.  I don't know why, I mean I can watch a guy shoot a fireball from his hands and think the game is still cool, so it isn't a realism thing.  It just seems kind of stupid.

ZZT

Primal Rage

Postby ZZT » September 28th, 2005, 2:48 pm

I feel that Primal Rage is a prime example of a good game that unexpectedy aged poorly. It was a great game for it's time, but for whatever reason, father time decided to be harsh.

sega saturn x

Primal Rage

Postby sega saturn x » September 28th, 2005, 9:00 pm

I can't even understand why people ever liked the game.  The animations are painfully choppy, the fighting is limited and the monster characters have to be one of the most shameless gimmicks in video game history.

Zenzerotron

Primal Rage

Postby Zenzerotron » September 29th, 2005, 12:13 am

I really remember at the time when Primal Rage was new/current, how the fatalities were much more detailed and realistic compared to the Mortal Kombat game(s) at the time.

Also, the claymation stop-motion animation WAS cool.

I don't see fighting dinosaurs& big monsters as a bad gimmick, to me, it's a classic idea. It's an idea we need to see in more games, and done right.

You can't tell me that Rampage(for it's day) wasn't fun for some of the very same reasons as Primal Rage.

Atarifever1

Primal Rage

Postby Atarifever1 » September 29th, 2005, 7:57 am

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]I really remember at the time when Primal Rage was new/current, how the fatalities were much more detailed and realistic compared to the Mortal Kombat game(s) at the time.

Also, the claymation stop-motion animation WAS cool.

I don't see fighting dinosaurs& big monsters as a bad gimmick, to me, it's a classic idea. It's an idea we need to see in more games, and done right.

You can't tell me that Rampage(for it's day) wasn't fun for some of the very same reasons as Primal Rage.
[/QUOTE]

I love rampage for the Sega Master System.  A lot of people say it's boring and stuff, but I never think it is.  Maybe it's because I don't try to finish it; I just turn it on when I feel like I need to knock over a bunch of buildings.

Dennis

Primal Rage

Postby Dennis » September 29th, 2005, 10:43 am

When I was into fighting games, I played a game of Primal Rage for about every 20 games of MKIII or Killer Instinct.  I never learned more than a couple of characters.  The hits seemed "soft" to me, like the characters weren't really making impact, not like the hard blows of MKII and III. 

I did enjoy pulling off the urination fatality though...

sega saturn x

Primal Rage

Postby sega saturn x » September 29th, 2005, 5:25 pm

[QUOTE]I don't see fighting dinosaurs& big monsters as a bad gimmick, to me, it's a classic idea. It's an idea we need to see in more games, and done right.

[/QUOTE]

It has been done right in far better games, such as war of the monsters and godzilla primal rage was just a mediocre fighting game.  And i loved playing rampage but you needed those to be giant monsters because the game was all about destroying things like godzilla.  In that game you felt like you were a big bad monster that could take on the world.

You don't feel like a monster in primal rage you feel like ken in a monkey costume.  Hence me calling it a gimmick.

Return to “Video Games General”