Why did the Neo-Geo Pocket Color fail?

General and high profile video game topics.
Bonk!

Postby Bonk! » October 18th, 2005, 10:27 pm

OK, this topic has probably been hashed and rehashed over and over again, and you probably rolled your eyes when you read the title of this thread.  But that doesn't help me.  I don't know the answer to this question and I want to.  I played the Neo-Geo Pocket Color on PC Emulator a little while ago and I'm loving it.  I played on PC Emulator in part because Metal Slug: Second Mission is one of my all time favorites, and in part because it seems to be Paul Campbell's favorite Portable system.  I have been really enjoying Sonic The Hedgehog: Pocket Adventure, Metal Slug: Second Mission, The King of Fighters R-2, and I am looking forward to Puzzle Link 2. 

If anyone knows the answer to this question then it has to be Paul Campbell.  So please share your thoughts (again, probably)!

Also, is the NGPC more powerful than the GBC?  These games really look great! 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » October 19th, 2005, 12:00 am

Don't feel bad about asking this question - I'd like to know myself!
And I'm the video-frickin-critic!!

Omar1

Postby Omar1 » October 19th, 2005, 12:54 am

I love the NeoGeo Pocket. Just today I played Match of the Milenium a couple of hours and I'm only missing 3 characters to have them all.

I belive the reason behind the failure of the NeoGeo Pocket was SNKs financial state. At one point SNK was bought by Aruze, and it decided to cut all foregin operations, and that included the NGPC as well as arcade game distribution in America. I remember reading that a company called Apple (Not the Macintosh Apple) took over the distribution of SNK arcade games then.

This should help, check google cache if it gives you any trouble. It's the history of SNK:

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6089278/

John Rowland

Postby John Rowland » October 19th, 2005, 1:29 am

Wow, I didn't know you enjoyed my post so much Bonk!  I'm flattered.  It is a good template, now that you mention it.  I'm pretty f-ing eloquent!

Omar1

Postby Omar1 » October 19th, 2005, 2:08 am

Oh, and I forgot the other question. Yes, the NGPC is more powerful than the GBC, in teory at least. The NGPC is 16 bit, the GBC is 8 bit.

But really, bits and bytes tend to be irrelevant when actual game console power is being discussed. For example, the Lynx is 8 bit, yet graphically can do a lot of stuff the NGPC can't, such as scaling and more colors for sprites, I belive.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » October 19th, 2005, 2:53 am

I think, the #1 reason was the fact you could only get NGPC systems and games on SNK's website. Had it been sold in stores, it would have fared much better, not that it would have knocked out the mighty Gameboy line, but it would have had a longer lifespan. 

You have to remember that in the late 90's, online shopping wasn't as mainstream/safe/acceptable as it is today.

Also, as history has shown with countless systems, when a system has little-to-no 3rd party support, it tanks fairly early.

But the true nail in the coffin was what was already mentioned, SNK was going bankrupt anyway.

On a side note, I own a NGPC and a great number of games for it. When I just had a GBA, I'd say I gave NGPC about 40% of my portable-gaming time and GBA about 60%. Since I've had my DS, I haven't touched my NGPC once.

Sing it with me..........DS killed the NGPC star

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » October 19th, 2005, 3:56 am

The only reason I can think of is name recognition.  If the average kid had a Game Boy of almost any kind, and a Neo Geo Pocket side by side in front of him, what do you think 99.99% of those kids are going to be more familiar with and end up choosing?  And this was during a time when the video game playing population was, I think, altogether younger, and probably therefore more likely to make a decision based on popularity and familiarity.

That is, in my opinion, the only LOGICAL reason that the superior system failed.

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » October 19th, 2005, 8:04 am

the handheld market is driven by younger gamers.  the name SNK has almost zero recognition in this demographic.  The Dreamcast has shown us that you cannont rely on core gamers to carry your product alone, you also need a lot of support among casual gamers and kids.

but back on topic, i love my neo pocket, and i really want one of these

http://www.tiptonium.com/neogeo/bits_pocketaes.htm

Zen444

Postby Zen444 » October 19th, 2005, 1:38 pm

If I remember correctly, wasn't SNK the only company making games for it?

Ibuki

Postby Ibuki » October 19th, 2005, 3:04 pm

Nintendo basically had a monopoly on the handheld market. The NGPC came at a time when GBC software quality was mostly horrible, and there were some very impressive games from Sega and Capcom(in Japan, it even had Ogre Battle!)

But it was going to take a big-name company with tons of money to put up a fight against Nintendo. SNK was neither.

SNK can be likened to Sega. They both made had many fine games for their systems, but they're console ventures were financial failures. SNK went bankrupt even though the Neo Geo lasted 15 years, and Sega didn't even profit much from the Genesis, thanks to the failed 32X, Sega CD, Nomad, Game Gear, and Pico.

Return to “Video Games General”