Dinosaur games?

General and high profile video game topics.
Alienblue

Dinosaur games?

Postby Alienblue » December 2nd, 2007, 12:31 pm

I am REALLY into dinosaurs right now. I just finished my model of a velociraptor(inaccurate...it's based on the Jurrasic park one and real raptors were small and had FEATHERS...so I had fun and painted it like a zebra)and bought a $35 dino encyclopedia.

What are some good Dinosaur games? The only ones I've played are Genesis Jurrasic Park (wicked cool!), DS dino dig (F-!), and GBA JP3(almost as bad) along with the JP coin op.

Are there any GOOD ones to reccomend for Genny, SNES, PSX-PS2, Saturn, GBA or DS?

Hovering Sheep

Dinosaur games?

Postby Hovering Sheep » December 2nd, 2007, 1:07 pm

I like Dinosaurs For Hire on Genesis. It's a Contra style shooting game. I actually had low expectations when I first tried it, but I ended up liking it. One thing I didn't like is that if an enemy is too close to you, you can't shoot them but have to use a close-range attack instead, which doesn't always work well. So that was an annoyance, but I still enjoyed the game overall.

andrew

Dinosaur games?

Postby andrew » December 2nd, 2007, 1:27 pm

Well if you don't mind Resident Evil controls, play Dino Crisis on the playstation and for mecha dinos, play Power Rangers: Dino Thunder. Actually, skip that second game at all costs!

Quiet Flight

Dinosaur games?

Postby Quiet Flight » December 2nd, 2007, 4:15 pm

Chuck Rock and Chuck Rock II are really good bonkish platformers.

Funkmaster V

Dinosaur games?

Postby Funkmaster V » December 2nd, 2007, 11:05 pm

I like BC Racers for the Sega CD. It has Chuck Rock and son, lesbians, and a stoner wolf. Pretty wild.

RRJ

Dinosaur games?

Postby RRJ » December 3rd, 2007, 2:58 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue](inaccurate...it's based on the Jurrasic park one and real raptors were small and had FEATHERS[/QUOTE]

Very true. Birds are actually decedents from these prehistoric creatures.

m0zart1

Dinosaur games?

Postby m0zart1 » December 3rd, 2007, 3:13 am

[QUOTE=RRJ][QUOTE=Alienblue](inaccurate...it's based on the Jurrasic park one and real raptors were small and had FEATHERS[/QUOTE]

Very true. Birds are actually decedents from these prehistoric creatures.[/QUOTE]

I saw a documentary once (I think it was on Discovery, but I am not sure) in which they reimaged the Tyrannosaurus Rex based on what they've learned in the years since they were originally thought to be more reptilian.  Since it was more birdlike, and since some fossils of related dionsaurs actually had feathers, they reimaged it to have feathers.  They also showed that it likely acted more like some land birds now, such as chickens.  Apparently, they also claimed that these animals weren't as much like hunters as they were like scavengers of already dead animals.  The little arms in front were images to have feathers and looked more like devolving wings than tiny arms.

That thing really blew those lifelong images of the king of the dinosaur out of my mind.  To see a huge T-Rex with tiny wings and feathers poking its head on the ground like a chicken was startling to say the least.

Alienblue

Dinosaur games?

Postby Alienblue » December 3rd, 2007, 4:14 am

mOzart, I don't know what show that was but they got it wrong. Large dinosaurslike T-rex and Brachiosaurus would have had hardly any, if any, feathers as adults-perhaps as babies they had down, but as adults-feathers are to fly or for insulation and they are much too big to rquire either. T-rex was also a hunter. It's eyes were binocular, looking to the front, which only hunting animals need to have. We also have Hadrosaur(Duckbill) skeletons that have been bitten by T-rex teeth and HEALED..thus the T-rex bit them while they were alive. No doubt T-rex would eat a dead carcass if it found one but it could hunt, too. It's huge head was weapon enough. The small arms were used to simply help the animal get up if it fell, it pushed itself back up. Birds evolved before dinosaurs died out, in the Jurrasic-Dinosaurs lasted untill 65.5 million years ago. The two are related but coexisted. The small Compsognathus is closer to birds than T-rex.

m0zart1

Dinosaur games?

Postby m0zart1 » December 3rd, 2007, 5:34 am

[QUOTE=Alienblue]mOzart, I don't know what show that was but they got it wrong. Large dinosaurslike T-rex and Brachiosaurus would have had hardly any,[/QUOTE]

I realize that that's the generic view of T-Rex, but this show was looking at the new evidence and attempting to think outside of the traditional view.  That evidence suggests that they didn't know as much about the animal as they thought.  During the late '90s and through this decade, several fossils of animals directly related to the T-Rex have been found WITH their fossilized feathers.  Additionally, T-Rex tissue has actually been found preserved in a tight fossil vaccuum which chemically resembled the flesh of birds like chickens.  The evidence was so strong that the T-Rex was recategorized along a different evolutionary path than it was thought to have been in previously.

Now the show wasn't trying to demand that the T-Rex itself definitely had feathers.  They specifically mentioned that no such feathers were found with the T-Rex itself, just the majority of its direct relatives and its early ancestors, including those which were very near the same size in adulthood.  They hypothesized that so many animals related to the T-Rex were in fact feathered, and did in fact have wing-like claws in the arm location, that the T-Rex itself likely did as well.  Finally, they noted that the bones of T-Rex were too pourous for the animal to have been as heavy as they had previously thought.  The pourous bones also implied that the animals could never have reached the speed of a typical hunting animal even at the minimal weight that the pourous bones could handle -- the fastest was 35 MPH, which wasn't as fast as most of its prey.  Its bones also weren't strong enough to stand up to many of its supposed prey -- a simple fall could break its bones easily.  It was much more likely to be a scavenger.

They took all of this new information into account to show what the T-Rex likely looked like and how it likely behaved if it was as similar to both its ancestors as they think it was.

There's still a lot left to discover -- and things like this are never completely certain.  As a result, many paleontologists are looking at the data in new ways, rewriting the virtual history we had previously taken almost as gospel.  You'll have to excuse me if I am keeping an open mind when these men and women speak on the subject.

Alienblue

Dinosaur games?

Postby Alienblue » December 3rd, 2007, 8:23 am

mOzart, I am reading the very latest books and papers published on dinosaurs. Of course there is controversy. But we have direct evidence that T-Rex hunted. Yes, if it fell at full gallop it would die, but who says it ran? It likely waited in ambush, or one T-rex would "chase" a hadrosaur off a cliff or to other T-rexes. Allosaurus was only a bit smaller and there is little doubt it was a hunter. And yes, all dinosaurs were basically in the same family as birds, but having feathers did not make a velociraptor and less ferocious!-even Utahraptor was covered head to toe in feathers yet it was a 6 foot long pack-hunting monster!

Also, a few million years after most dinosaurs went extinct, the fiercest predator in the Teritary period was A BIRD-TITANIS was 8 feet tall and called a "Terror crane"; coincdently it was flightless and had two "claws" almost identical to T-rex. I'm not saying T-rex wasn't a bird of sorts, I'm saying it would not be something you would want to meet in the woods late at night!-
"oh don't worry it's just a scavenger- with teeth the size of Bananas, and eyes that could spot you a mile away!" A human would be little more than a snickers bar to T-rex. Although the biggest Tyranosaur was Giganotosaurus...these creatures grew so big because the PREY they hunted grew big-it was a prehistoric arms race. Giganotasurus is found in the same deposits as Titanosaurs like Argentinosaurus-the biggest dinosaur yet found!

Return to “Video Games General”