VGC Question

General and high profile video game topics.
Crevalle

VGC Question

Postby Crevalle » November 10th, 2005, 1:55 pm

I'm sure you've been asked this before, but have you ever thought about adding a PC section to your site?  I mean, it's not like PC games are not video games.  That way, you'd get to review some of the best games right out of the gate (Half life 1 & 2, Doom 3, Farcry, etc) rather than waiting until they are unreliably ported to a console, which usually equates to a version not nearly as good as the original.

Alienblue

VGC Question

Postby Alienblue » November 10th, 2005, 4:23 pm

No, I disagree..sorry, but PC games are not videogames. If
you want to read PC reviews there are several dedicated PC sites.
The critic has enough on his plate with all the systems NOW and COMING (DS, 360, etc...) to worry about windows or mac.

Don't get me wrong, I have an iMac, I play games on it and I collect old computers as well. But there is a deffinite difference between a PC and a videogame.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

VGC Question

Postby VideoGameCritic » November 10th, 2005, 4:40 pm

I don't like PC games because of the installation issues, patches, and hardware upgrades involved.  I tried them a few years back, and while the games are great, it was not worth the effort.  Plus I sit in front of a computer all day at work and have no desire to do so when I get home.

Also, I'm spread pretty thin as it is.  It's a wonder that I can update this site every few days.

Dave

sega saturn x

VGC Question

Postby sega saturn x » November 10th, 2005, 5:50 pm

Not to mention there is 0 inovation in PC games it's all the same crap just better looking.

Crevalle

VGC Question

Postby Crevalle » November 11th, 2005, 2:14 am

[QUOTE=sega saturn x]

Not to mention there is 0 inovation in PC games it's all the same crap just better looking.

[/QUOTE]

It's your prerogative to disagree, but your statement is just plain bone-headed.  No innovation in PC games?  Ever heard of Doom?  Half Life? Warcraft? MMORPGs?  Plus PCs have the best graphics, they allow you to demo games via download, etc.  Lastly, any FPS player worth his salt does not play with a controller.  I only play FPS (and third-person) games, so perhaps this is why I strongly prefer a game to come out on the PC, rather than a console.  Fighting games, sports games, and driving games are just plain crap with a keyboard.

Again, don't let your biases compel you to make ridiculous statements.  This just proves to me that:

1.) You don't own a high-end PC
and/or
2.) You don't play FPS games

Atarifever1

VGC Question

Postby Atarifever1 » November 11th, 2005, 9:12 am

[QUOTE=Crevalle]
Again, don't let your biases compel you to make ridiculous statements.  This just proves to me that:

1.) You don't own a high-end PC
and/or
2.) You don't play FPS games
[/QUOTE]
I used to hate PC games until I realized #1 was not necessary.  I have a P3 866 with only 10 GB of harddrive space which is running Windows 98 and in which is some form of videocard I know nothing about, and lately I've had a lot of fun with PC games.  I picked up the original Half Life platinum collection and a couple budget FPS games and I've had lots of fun with them.  In fact, I'm at the point now where when I sit at a computer I automatically put my left hand fingers over A, W, and D.  I also have an old 486 running freedos loaded up with all my old shareware computer games and a few full games  picked up at flea markets (a Buck Rogers startegy game and "So you want to be a Hero" being my favorites).  It is very possible to be a classic or budget computer gamer without ever having to worry about the specs on your computer.  Like I said, I don't even know the specs on my videocard, I just look at a game and say, "minimum requirements is a P2, I should be alright".  And you're right about number 2, the only real home of the FPS is the computer.

sega saturn x

VGC Question

Postby sega saturn x » November 11th, 2005, 9:19 am

You got me on all acounts, as inovative as some of the things you mentioned are most of them a more then a 10 years old.  When you look around the pc section now it all looks like FPS mmorpg and RTS games.  Which again you hit it right on the nose, i don't like any of those genres.  I like fps the best out of them but i don't play them on a regular basis. 

Alienblue

VGC Question

Postby Alienblue » November 11th, 2005, 2:49 pm

I don't buy any more MAC games because my aging iMac has no memory to run them, plus they are so hard to find. I DO have MAME on my mac with over 200 arcade games plus another 150 stored on
ZIP disc. That's really all I play on my Mac.

I remember getting my 486, though and thinking CASTLE WOLFENSTEIN 3D was great, then DOOM blew me away. DUKE NUKE 'EM was hillarious (taking a leak."AHHHHH!"). But then it seemed every PC game was a FPS and I lost interest. I dont like strategy, sports, or simulations so PC games overall don't interest me much unless they are ports of videogames and even then the "real thing" does it better!

Return to “Video Games General”