Favorite Fighting Series and why

General and high profile video game topics.
Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » February 14th, 2006, 1:26 am

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic][QUOTE=bluemonkey]

I can't stand Smash Brothers myself.  It seems more luck than skill based.  I got sick of throwing people off just to have them hop, hop, hop all the way back.  Now Soul Calibur that's a party fighter!  Or Power Stone!

[/QUOTE]

I agree that Smash Brothers is overrated.  That hopping on air stuff is idiotic.
[/QUOTE]

Amazing. All I can say is amazing.

It makes me sad that you guys dont like it. The gameplay is so deep and there is so much to unlock it is probably my most played game ever besides Street Fighter. How is hoping on air idiotic? There really is no physics in Mario land anyway, is there? How can an overweight plumber jump in the air three straight times in Mario World 64? Is that idiotic?

I think the game is very creative... that's all. My only beef is that on some boards its hard to tell what the hell is going on. But, no game is perfect.

Vinnie

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » February 14th, 2006, 4:49 am

It's just the whole system is fundamentally flawed.  I didn't really find it had any depth.  The game boils down to move repeating of the highest degree of any fighting game I have ever played.  The amount of damage you deal seems to have little or no effect on the outcome of the game.  The matches went on for sooooo long.  It got so tiresome because it revolved into repeating the same series of actions so many times within a single match.  There's also the problem that when you are a beginner player it takes a while to get used to the idea that you can win while doing very little damage and working out which of the moves are the overpowered ones.  As a result I found myself dying a lot early on and the long length of the matches found me sitting there with nothing to do for ages.  There's also the fact that 4 combatents in a 2D plane is always going to be questionable at best.

One thing that also annoyed me is that it is yet another example of Nintendo's lack of creativity sometimes.  I am a Nintendo fan and rate the N64 as one of my favourite consoles of all time but I get a bit tired of Nintendo sticking the same one or two IPs they have into each and every genre they can think up.  I really don't get a kick out of seeing Starfox fighting Mario.  I mean come on?!  There's no style, no cohesive glue that makes you think you are playing in a game world.  It's just a game where they go wow look at all the great games we made in the past let's just stick everyone's favourite characters together and then tag some fighting mechanics on (sorry I should say platforming mechanics)!  I tend to find these games more appreciated by the gamers that don't own other consoles and tend to buy everything with Mario in it.  Please note I said "tend" so I'm not making a generalisation here.

Of course that is all just my opinion.  But I don't see how it can be considered a fighter, it's a competitive platformer.  It just seems so basic and dull in an uncohesive world.

Cafeman1

Postby Cafeman1 » February 14th, 2006, 11:26 am

I like just about every 2D fighter, but I think the overall best is the Street Fighter series and all its sequels. In particular:

- Street Fighter Alpha 2 (I played it mostly on Saturn) is a great, great game. Sure the originals were great in their day too, but Alpha/Alpha2 gave us 32-bit speed/color/visuals/sounds. I love the double qtr-circle super moves and the balance of characters.  Alpha 3 was great too -- it offered more familiar characters (like Blanka), but I found the presentation of Alpha 3 more annoying. I forget what system I have Alpha 3 on! It wasn't Saturn.

- Marvel VS Capcom 2 (Dreamcast version for me). I have played this 1-player, against adult friends, and against my 2 sons (ages 6 and 10) especially a lot lately, and its always fun.  This series is more simplified that what we were used to in the old days, that is probably a good thing since few people have the patience to learn those quarter circle ziz-zags. But I use 'em. Still, with the right characters (Spider-Man, Mega-Man, Servbot are cheap!), my kids put up a valiant fight in their own way and even beat me regularly. Plus I LOVE the SF vs Xmen vs other Marvel characters, and the 3D backgrounds.

When it comes to non-2D games, which to me is like a whole different category, I prefer the Virtua Fighters the most (VF2/VF3 and now VF4), and the original DC Soul Calibur.  The DOA series bores me (I used to play DOA import on Saturn, and DOA2 on DC which had amazing visuals for the day). Tekken isn't as good as VF to me. I liked Soul Cal more than SC2.

My kids like Smash Brothers, as does a certain adult friend, but I never understood its strategy and I lose constantly, thus its no fun for me.

Joey Gimenez

Postby Joey Gimenez » January 8th, 2008, 3:21 pm

Last Blade 2. Its the deepest, most technical fighter you will ever find, button mashing will get you no where in this game. Also, its very challanging.

Marvel VS Capcom 2: New age of heroes. Its just sheer fun and it just never gets old. The only thing I hate is the unlocking (it takes forever to get everything.)

Anonymous Prime

Postby Anonymous Prime » January 8th, 2008, 4:46 pm

[QUOTE=bluemonkey]
It's just the whole system is fundamentally flawed.  I didn't really find it had any depth.  The game boils down to move repeating of the highest degree of any fighting game I have ever played.  The amount of damage you deal seems to have little or no effect on the outcome of the game.  The matches went on for sooooo long.  It got so tiresome because it revolved into repeating the same series of actions so many times within a single match.  There's also the problem that when you are a beginner player it takes a while to get used to the idea that you can win while doing very little damage and working out which of the moves are the overpowered ones.  As a result I found myself dying a lot early on and the long length of the matches found me sitting there with nothing to do for ages.  There's also the fact that 4 combatents in a 2D plane is always going to be questionable at best.

One thing that also annoyed me is that it is yet another example of Nintendo's lack of creativity sometimes.  I am a Nintendo fan and rate the N64 as one of my favourite consoles of all time but I get a bit tired of Nintendo sticking the same one or two IPs they have into each and every genre they can think up.  I really don't get a kick out of seeing Starfox fighting Mario.  I mean come on?!  There's no style, no cohesive glue that makes you think you are playing in a game world.  It's just a game where they go wow look at all the great games we made in the past let's just stick everyone's favourite characters together and then tag some fighting mechanics on (sorry I should say platforming mechanics)!  I tend to find these games more appreciated by the gamers that don't own other consoles and tend to buy everything with Mario in it.  Please note I said "tend" so I'm not making a generalisation here.

Of course that is all just my opinion.  But I don't see how it can be considered a fighter, it's a competitive platformer.  It just seems so basic and dull in an uncohesive world.

[/QUOTE]

how many times do i have to explain this?
1st: smash bros. is NOT a nintendo game. it is developed by Hal laboratories.
2nd: THE GAME WAS NOT MADE FOR SUCCESS. it was developed as a budget title with a budget development cost to be one of those out there fighters (like the starwars and final fantasy fighting games) that would sell a couple of thousand copies and fade into obscurity.
3rd: the problem is- the game was so fresh and differnent from other fighting games of the time that despite it's budget roots the game became very successful. If the public didn't like what they were playing, the game would have never made it outside of japan, and it was never intended to do so.
4th: yes, they have their famous IP's in the game, but they also have things so many people had never EVER heard of, and use it as an oppurtunity for newer gamers to get into older games.
5th: double jumping. Critic, have you played a platformer lately?
6th: They get back on the stage, blue monkey, because you don't bother to stop them from getting back on, which is possible to do in so many ways.

now, with that list over and done with...
favorite fighting games:
SUPER SMASH BROS. Series (what a shock)
Soul Calibur II
and really...i enjoy other fighting games, but only those two fit into the "favorite" category.

voor

Postby voor » January 8th, 2008, 9:25 pm

I look at it this way...

1st person and 3rd person shooters are essentially the same, but with different approaches.

I consider Smash Bros to be a legitimate fighter, but I see it as a 'arena fighter' versus a 'traditional fighter' (a la Street Fighter).

I love them equally both!!  Wouldnt it be awesome to see a few SF characters in Smash Bros (Dalshim, Blanka, Zangief, Ken)??

Luke

Postby Luke » January 9th, 2008, 1:58 am

The Mortal Kombat series, because it's always evolving. It doesn't just stick with the same formula over and over again. They're always trying something new with each game. They all look and play different.

It's kind of like Radiohead. They don't just stick to one winning formula when they write songs or make records. They're always trying something new and interesting. And every album sounds different.

Anonymous Prime

Postby Anonymous Prime » January 9th, 2008, 7:46 am

[QUOTE=voor]I look at it this way...

1st person and 3rd person shooters are essentially the same, but with different approaches.

I consider Smash Bros to be a legitimate fighter, but I see it as a 'arena fighter' versus a 'traditional fighter' (a la Street Fighter).

I love them equally both!!  Wouldnt it be awesome to see a few SF characters in Smash Bros (Dalshim, Blanka, Zangief, Ken)??
[/QUOTE]

yes. yes it would.

Anonymous Prime

Postby Anonymous Prime » January 9th, 2008, 11:55 am

And speaking of new characters, Bluemonkey must have slipped something in sakurai's drink because I read the update this morning that Captain Olimar, the guy from PIKMIN (WTF!!!!??!?!?!) Has just been confirmed as a playable fighter in brawl.....instead of Ridley or Geno, both awesome choices. Ok Bluemonkey, you when the IP-stuffing debate, but the game is still deep.

steerforth

Postby steerforth » January 9th, 2008, 1:32 pm

Olimar is awesome, I hope he has some Pikmin with him.

I could care less about Ridley and I have no clue who Geno is, so well done, Smash Bros.

I have a neew fav charachter.

Now for Cel Shaded Link.

Return to “Video Games General”