Most Unreliable Console?

General and high profile video game topics.
Steve1

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby Steve1 » October 27th, 2008, 11:40 pm

I can't believe not a single person has mentioned the Playstation 2. My brother went through 4 of them and I know he was not the only one.

bigllama99

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby bigllama99 » October 28th, 2008, 12:14 am

Weird, before I came onto this forum, I never knew that the 'toaster' NES were so fragile and unreliable.  I got mine in 2000, from cousins who already used in for a few years.  I never cleaned it, never cleaned the cartriges, and it still works (although not well at all, and it takes some time and effort to get games working)  I also have one from my dad's coworker's son, and it works perfectly. 

fudgesicle

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby fudgesicle » October 28th, 2008, 2:32 am

I've had 2 PS2s break on me.

andrew

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby andrew » October 28th, 2008, 8:49 am

[QUOTE=bigllama99]

Weird, before I came onto this forum, I never knew that the 'toaster' NES were so fragile and unreliable.  I got mine in 2000, from cousins who already used in for a few years.  I never cleaned it, never cleaned the cartriges, and it still works (although not well at all, and it takes some time and effort to get games working)  I also have one from my dad's coworker's son, and it works perfectly. 

[/QUOTE]

The NES is not fragile, that thing is built solid. Mine has fallen from the top of the tv to the wood floor a few times and there are no cracks or loose connections. I have no idea why we used to put it on top of the tv but anyway as you said, its unreliable in the fact it takes a while for it to get going but at least it always gets going eventually.

Viper821

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby Viper821 » October 28th, 2008, 9:20 am

At first, I would have said the NES but at least mine can still work after all these years. However, the obvious choice here is the PS2 (slim). It was an outstanding value but my first one only lasted two years. This further aggravated me because I take care of my consoles just like a baby.

Go figure that I dropped my second PS2 5 feet and it had no affect on it whatsoever.

Cheesy

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby Cheesy » October 28th, 2008, 3:54 pm

For those who have had disk reading problems with the dreamcast, have you tried cleaning the lazer lens in the console? (I think it's that little blue thing.)

Alienblue

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby Alienblue » October 28th, 2008, 4:45 pm

WOW! I finnaly came up with a decent thread!

Thinking some more...."Consoles are reliable because they have so few moving parts"...I wonder if thats the Toaster NES problem. In an attempt to make it NOT look like a super 2600, Nintendo made that Spring loaded cartridge slot...the result being that even early on many kids would BLOW on the carts to get them to work, and that led to Contact "rust"....

Handhelds...I SAW a microvision when I was young but never owned one. I hear they have like a 75% fail rate though! On my own, I had to try three DSLITE units before finding one without a DEAD PIXEL on the touchscreen....remember that? And used, I've still yet to find a working Game Gear. The LYNX is very reliable but Game Gear turns into a Silver screen mess after a few years; the Backlit LCD was terrible. The GG itself was not a bad system but bulky and so prone to this washout effect!

How about Turboexpress and Sega Nomad? Any problems?

ManKind

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby ManKind » October 28th, 2008, 8:34 pm

for me the Sega Saturn and the NEs are not reliable at all until I got my third NES

The sega saturn fail to load a CD at 70% of the case but when it do it work fine

my two first nes was horribly unreliable. My third one I have for many year now still work at 80% of the time. All but the game i dont play often or new game i buy work the first time

ajsmart1

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby ajsmart1 » October 29th, 2008, 10:32 am

[QUOTE=ManKind]my two first nes was horribly unreliable. My third one I have for many year now still work at 80% of the time. All but the game i dont play often or new game i buy work the first time[/QUOTE]

.... and BanjoPickles winces in pain.  It's like Mankind shook out a bunch of words from a dictionary and they assembled themselves on the page.  I'm sorry if I'm being cruel, but this cracked me up.

To be on topic, I've only lost two systems to failure.  The Atari 7800 and the original Xbox.  The 7800 died during my 'take everything apart' phase when I was a kid.   My Xbox decided one day it didn't want to read DVDs anymore.

JNH

Most Unreliable Console?

Postby JNH » October 29th, 2008, 5:11 pm

The Sega Saturn is by far and away the most solid and reliable CD system I've ever ever used. Beyond that, I've never had any trouble with either my Sega CD (I or II) or Genesis, or Atari 7800.

The least reliable system I've ever had was the Sega Master system. The controllers break like nobody's business, the console seems really fragile. I have a power base converter now, and it works flawlessly.

The least reliable CD based system I've ever had is the FZ-1 3DO, always has trouble loading disks.

Return to “Video Games General”