The Advantages Of Cartridges Over CD's

General and high profile video game topics.
Logan Ruckman

Postby Logan Ruckman » November 9th, 2008, 9:04 pm

I know you guys are going to complain and call me stupid, but just hear me out! This is why I like cartridges over CD's. First, CD's get scratched and freeze games while cartridges don't. Also, there are no load times on cartridges. Lastly, with CD consoles, you have to spend money on memory cards, while on cartridge consoles, the game saves on the cartridge itself so you can save way more games on a cartridge console. Also, for those concerned about the size of a game, you can still make a cartridge game as big as a CD game. Just make the game on multiple cartridges. That's what they do on CD consoles when a game is too big for one CD. In fact, there was this RPG for the PS1, and I don't remember what it's called, but it was critically acclaimed and it was so big, they had to put it on 4 different CD's. That's all you have to do with a cartridge game. That is why I think cartridges are better than CD's.

BuryMe1

Postby BuryMe1 » November 9th, 2008, 9:34 pm

[QUOTE=Logan Ruckman]First, CD's get scratched and freeze games while cartridges don't.[/QUOTE] I've had cartridges freeze on me.
And Multiple cartridges will get VERY expensive very quickly.
Otherwise, I agree with you. I prefer cartridges over CDs

Anayo1

Postby Anayo1 » November 10th, 2008, 6:41 am

There's nothing quite like a cartridge for a progress-saving game with a broken battery inside.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » November 10th, 2008, 6:55 am

Cartridges can and do freeze, a number of preowned cartridges I have bought had major problems.  They can be wrecked by power spikes too - a mate of mine pulled out my Goldeneye cartridge mid game then reinserted it and it majorly messed it up.  The contacts on cartridges can degrade over time through the physical use whereas CDs don't. CDs only scratch if you are clumsy.

zzz

Postby zzz » November 10th, 2008, 8:00 am

Given advancements in memory storage, the cartridge very well could become a viable media once again. If you can fit Super Mario 64 on a DS card, who knows what can be now !

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » November 10th, 2008, 8:50 am

I had a tough time getting my Metroid Zero Mission cart to work on my GBA the other day.  It was getting hung up on the Gamboy Advance© startup screen.  When I finally got it to go, my save file was gone   which kinda stunk because I was trying to play the original Metoroid that I had unlocked.

Memory cards are a sort of hassle, but by their nature are easy to backup.

kev

Postby kev » November 10th, 2008, 1:03 pm

Back in the n64 vs psx days a cd could hold about 750mb while cartridges were limited to what, about 50mb? During the xbox vs ps2 days they used dvds that held about 4 gb. I'm not sure what a gamecube disc held. Are the ps3 games running on blueray discs? I think those hold up to 50gb.

My cell phone has a micro sd card smaller than my pinky nail that holds 8gb on it. That's about 2 dvds worth of data. I've heard there are 16gb microsd cards out too. Now, micro sd is too expensive to succesfully market games on considering how much they cost compared to blank dvds, but maybe something like that could be used to bring back some sort of plug and play cartridge like gaming system?

Maybe but probably not. Next gen might not even have discs and might be all download based. Consoles are turning into pcs!

Logan Ruckman

Postby Logan Ruckman » November 10th, 2008, 5:42 pm

[QUOTE=Logan Ruckman]

Lastly, with CD consoles, you have to spend money on memory cards, while on cartridge consoles, the game saves on the cartridge itself so you can save way more games on a cartridge console.

[/QUOTE]

When I said that, I meant most cartridge systems don't require Memory Cards, but the N64 does with certain games, like DK64.

kev

Postby kev » November 11th, 2008, 1:19 pm

[QUOTE=Logan Ruckman]

[QUOTE=Logan Ruckman]

Lastly, with CD consoles, you have to spend money on memory cards, while on cartridge consoles, the game saves on the cartridge itself so you can save way more games on a cartridge console.

[/QUOTE]

When I said that, I meant most cartridge systems don't require Memory Cards, but the N64 does with certain games, like DK64.

[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, and I think south park for the n64 was like that too.

One advantage of using seperate cards is that if you rent games you can keep your save states. Back in the 80s I used to rent a different nes cart every week, and I rented zelda several times. I had to start from the beginning each time too, so I got pretty good at the first couple of levels. I don't know why I never just bought my own copy of zelda since I liked it so much and I bought so much crap like friday the 13th.

Happy Gilmore

Postby Happy Gilmore » November 20th, 2008, 9:01 pm

I agree! Cartridges are better!

Return to “Video Games General”