Am I jaded or just out of touch?

General and high profile video game topics.
CalusReyma

Postby CalusReyma » December 7th, 2008, 2:38 am

All too often lately I've gone into stores looking for new video games and almost nothing on the shelves has appealed to me. This really frustrates me, because I still enjoy playing video games; I just don't really know what sorts of games I like, for the most part. Does anyone else have this problem?

steer

Postby steer » December 7th, 2008, 9:01 am

I dont think that s jaded - jaded is when you find games you used to like, or get game you think you will like, and not enjoying them.

I know what you mean, and I am sure most ppl feel the same way for whatever geames of their own. I can find plenty to play these days, so I am a pretty contented gamer...

What do you wish you could find?

starchildskiss781

Postby starchildskiss781 » December 7th, 2008, 10:01 am

I have the same problem! I went into GameStop yesterday and looked at the games and I saw some that were "kinda" interesting...until I saw the price tag! Some of these games would be great used $20 games...but that's it....

Anayo1

Postby Anayo1 » December 7th, 2008, 4:20 pm

I felt this way when my dad brought up the prospect of getting an XBOX 360 for Christmas. "Great!" I thought... until I realized basically everything worth playing on it is first and third person shooters. It's crazy, I feel like I'm turning into AlienBlue; the only thing that really gets me excited is classic style 2D games!

The Sentinel

Postby The Sentinel » December 7th, 2008, 7:47 pm

Anayo, then the 360 might not necessarily be the worst system to get. The amount of great 2d games on XBOX Live arcade is almost reason enough to own the system. A great many of them are original games exclusive to the 360. Some of them are FANTASTIC.

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » December 11th, 2008, 1:20 pm

You know it's ironic: for years, I could only afford to get games very sparingly and there was a near infinite amount on my wishlist. Now, in the year 2008 I can afford pretty much anything I want within reason and very few titles interest me anymore.

I think it might have something to do with the large number of 'me too' titles and the steep learning curve you have to invest. Gone are the days when you hit the power button and play away! Bigger does not always mean better.

steer

Postby steer » December 11th, 2008, 4:23 pm

I know it sounds crazy, but I thing most 'gamers' do NOT want to be satisfied with their hobby -  kind oflike a drug addiction.

I mean, games get hyped for like 3 years, than they release to fawning reviews, and then a week later the hardcore have devoured it, and then they go online and post all the flaws and rip the game apart, and meanwhile they are hyping the next best thing.

Or they talk about how much processing power devs are using in game x, and in 5 years they will double it in game y, and the earth will be knocked off its axis.

I am a very satisfied gamer myself, I mean by now I know my tastes, I dont buy into crap hyp, I dont look for cinema games that will obvioulsy fail, and I support the best publishers, and dont complain about dreck that is not being sold to informed ppls...

BuryMe1

Postby BuryMe1 » December 12th, 2008, 6:15 pm

I have the same problem For me, it;s just because the industry is moving away from games I like to play. I walk into a store, see millions of shooters i'llnever want to play and then walk away.

Return to “Video Games General”