Top 100 Animated Series of All Time

General and high profile video game topics.
funky_muzic1

Postby funky_muzic1 » January 26th, 2009, 3:21 pm

I'm thinking that some VGC regulars may be animation fans like myself.  IGN recently finished their Top 100 list of the greatest animated shows of all time.  Here's the link:

http://tv.ign.com/top-100-animated-tv-series/index.html

Hopefully some of you will enjoy this as much as I did.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » January 26th, 2009, 4:08 pm

I'm not going to bother clicking on one hundred links because IGN can't be bothered to make a real list, but I have a feeling this list doesn't include a single non-American/Japanese series, and thus isn't worth much.

Someone who writes about cartoons for a living should at the very least be knowledgable enough in the field than having to restrict himself to what airs on his local TV station.

Anayo1

Postby Anayo1 » January 26th, 2009, 7:32 pm

They included Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends? WTF?

IGN once did a feature something like "The Best 10 animated movies of all time." I couldn't really stand it, cause they nominated "Toy Story II" as the #1 animated film of all time (LAME), and their list didn't include any Studio Ghibli films at all!

Megavolt

Postby Megavolt » January 26th, 2009, 8:23 pm

I'm not going to bother clicking on one hundred links because IGN can't be bothered to make a real list, but I have a feeling this list doesn't include a single non-American/Japanese series, and thus isn't worth much.

You might want to reconsider clicking on it then because it does.  Neon Genesis Evangelion is at number ten and Cowboy Bebop is at number fourteen.  I haven't read beyond the top twenty however because I already disagreed with the rankings as well as the exclusion of a few favorites.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » January 27th, 2009, 6:26 am

[QUOTE=Megavolt] You might want to reconsider clicking on it then because it does.  Neon Genesis Evangelion is at number ten and Cowboy Bebop is at number fourteen.[/QUOTE]

Yeah? Those two are Japanese. I said "non-American/Japanese".
Are there any French series in there, for instance? France has a lot of excellent cartoon series.

Quill

Postby Quill » January 27th, 2009, 7:55 am

I tortured myself by clicking through all of the shows...the only non American/Non Japanese shows were Danger Mouse and Count Duckula which I believe were made in Britain.

None of the even more popular foreign shows (ie Rex the Runt) aside from those two from the 80's. Big surprise.

That was a sad waste of my time. 90% of those shows shouldn't make any list... anywhere ever... Well at least Squidbillies wasn't on the list... I guess they deserve credit for that. Also most of the blurbs about the shows demonstrate a lack of knowledge about anything animated other than it moves.

kev

Postby kev » January 27th, 2009, 8:14 am

[QUOTE=Anayo]They included Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends? WTF?

IGN once did a feature something like "The Best 10 animated movies of all time." I couldn't really stand it, cause they nominated "Toy Story II" as the #1 animated film of all time (LAME), and their list didn't include any Studio Ghibli films at all!

[/QUOTE]

I remember seeing that list on msnbc. It was written by a college freshman who's credentials were that he had been writing about movies since he was 13. Imagine if they put the same effort into their political coverage?

MappyMousePD

Postby MappyMousePD » January 27th, 2009, 11:13 am

[QUOTE=Quill]

That was a sad waste of my time. 90% of those shows shouldn't make any list... anywhere ever...

[/QUOTE]

Why is it a waste of time to read another person's opinions?  It wouldn't be a very interesting list if you agreed with everything on it.  At least it gave you a chance to complain, and that's always fun, right?         

Colin

Postby Colin » January 27th, 2009, 1:04 pm

I won't click it, but is Reboot or The Raccoons on there?  I hope Teddy Ruxpin made the list at least (watched in order, that show is an epic).

Quill

Postby Quill » January 27th, 2009, 1:16 pm

Well I'm a bitter animator so you'll just have to forgive me. Though complaining is pretty fun, I at least did give it a chance.

Though I guess I shouldn't have expected much from IGN, a website whose business is video games and not scholarly reviews of animation.

Return to “Video Games General”