How Sega Can Fix Sonic

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

How Sega Can Fix Sonic

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 22nd, 2009, 6:13 pm

Sonic's reputation is on the rocks, but I think it can be salvaged.  How?  Sega needs to take the Street Fighter IV approach.  Don't fix what's not broken.  Retain the original classic gameplay, but spice things up with great graphics and new stages.

Imagine the original Sonic - with its 2D gameplay - rendered in lush 3D graphics.  It would be a huge hit.  They could even call it "Sonic the Hedgehog 4". 

Sega seems to think they need to constantly reinvent the series, but each time they add a new gimmick, they are moving further and further away from the original formula, which was solid gold.

Sega should be paying me for this consulting advice.  I could really help get them back in the game.

N64Dude1

How Sega Can Fix Sonic

Postby N64Dude1 » February 22nd, 2009, 7:35 pm

No,they nailed the whole Sonic 3D thing with Sonic Adventures 1 and 2,they should simply remake Sonic Adventure 2 take away the Knuckles/Rouge stages make it Sonic/Shadow only and bring Fang the Sniper back as a boss,oh and kill Blaze the Cat.

That's not a half -bad idea though either,but I'd rather see SEGA simply release the canceled Saturn game and let the tormented finally see Sonic X-treme.Had SEGA released this game I bet we'd actually see Dreamcasts on shelves right now!

wur1

How Sega Can Fix Sonic

Postby wur1 » February 22nd, 2009, 8:04 pm

I think they need to give Sonic a 5-year break, and then give him to a new team.

ajsmart1

How Sega Can Fix Sonic

Postby ajsmart1 » February 22nd, 2009, 8:45 pm

[QUOTE]
How Sega Can Fix Sonic
[/QUOTE]

Sega should have Sonic fixed -- neutered that is.  Imagine the awful spin-off games his offspring would be in.

steer

How Sega Can Fix Sonic

Postby steer » February 22nd, 2009, 9:48 pm

Don't stone me, but I see a few of the things you complain about in your Unleashed review in Sonic Adventure for Dreamcast.

I think SEGA has revamped Sonic, though, they have admitted as much, for younger audiences. Unleashed may be a slighly different vein than Secret Rings and the upcoming Black Knight game, but if thy are not trying for 'epic' Sonic, why do ppl keep looking for it?

Guy

How Sega Can Fix Sonic

Postby Guy » February 22nd, 2009, 10:34 pm

Sega has been making a lot of bad Sonic games.  Why do they come out with a new Sonic game every six months?  The only good sonic game that they have made lately is for the Wii. They need to try something new, or they are going to be in financial trouble again.

Caféman

How Sega Can Fix Sonic

Postby Caféman » February 23rd, 2009, 11:21 am

[QUOTE=N64Dude]they nailed the whole Sonic 3D thing with Sonic Adventures 1 and 2,they should simply remake Sonic Adventure 2 take away the Knuckles/Rouge stages make it Sonic/Shadow only and bring Fang the Sniper back as a boss,oh and kill Blaze the Cat.[/QUOTE]

I've been replaying Sonic Adventure (the GCN version) lately and I was reminded at how well SEGA *did* indeed nail it. 

SEGA, its time to make Sonic Adventure 3 using the storylines and stages from the Genesis Sonic 1,2, and 3.   They must get rid of the uninteresting and frustrating Rose/ Rouge/ Big/ Tails-in-a-mech/ E102 robot crap - making it more about being Sonic, with some GOOD Tails/Knuckles stages in there as well. These are the characters every Sonic fan wants to play; if SEGA feels the need to add variety, it should be a new gameplay style using Sonic, Tails and Knuckles (mostly Sonic of course).  No more people! No more hubs WITH people! No! It is Sonic (& gang) vs Robotnik/Eggman.  That's what it is!

Looking at the gameplay for Sonic in SA1 and SA2 - wow! It is easy to see how new levels with fantastic graphics could be made.  It seems that the developers who make these games don't have the same vision or capability as the 90's Sega teams, 2d or 3d.

Sonic's gameplay would not have to change much from what we saw in SA1 or SA2. However , does anyone else think there's too much rail grinding? Rail grinding might have its place in some stages but too much is dull, uninteresting. It's the cheap way out of a gameplay problem, for the developers -- they should go back to using Sonic's roll instead.

All other character play should be optional missions. You do not play as sonic only to have the game force you to now play a crappy level as Knuckles or Tails!

My image of perfect Tails stages would be slowed down Sonic levels.  Tails uses his limited flight to find new paths on the high road. Tails is a mechanical wiz; what if SEGA borrowed an idea from  LEGO and have Tails be able to construct little gadgets or crafts as he goes to help out. 

I had an idea once for option Tails airplane levels --  not a boring & simple forward-scroll shooter - imagine flying in 3D and being able to see Mecha Sonic racing thru the Island or Jungle path below. Tails can blow up bridges, cliffs, or even cause little floods , diverting Mecha Sonic from the quick-n-easy path and perhaps using more of Mecha's energy to finally reach his target. If Tails diverts Mecha long enough, he reaches the target with most energy depleted and wimpy Tails can battle and defeat him; else Tails gets defeated by the stronger opponent.  This is all just my off-the-cuff imagination, but surely something fresh like this is more interesting than the trite crap Sega keeps coming up with?

Knuckles stages should emphasis climbing , gliding, and his punching badniks / structures. Again, I thought Sonic Adventure nailed how Knuckles should be controlled; I'm just tired of the beep-beep raise-water-level, drop-water-level find-emerald gameplay, and from what I've read, so is everyone else. 

Nicholas Pozega

How Sega Can Fix Sonic

Postby Nicholas Pozega » February 23rd, 2009, 6:11 pm

Sorry Critic but there is NOTHING you have said that hasn't already been said before. Going back to his roots won't save the series-all that would be doing is catering to a small audience of elitist buttholes who bash every single Sonic game that isn't Sonic 3 & Knuckles and even if Sega brought Sonic back to his roots, people would complain anyways! Theres no escaping it-Sega and Sonic Team have dug themselves into a hole that they can't get themselves out of-the Sonic fanbase is completely divided into dozens of peices (thanks to the numerous continuities and complete lack of consistency with the Sonic series games) and they will NOT COMPROMISE. If Sega had stuck to the original formula, style, art and whatnot this wouldn't be a problem-but Sonic has almost none of the original people who made his old games now, and the parent company is completely clueless as to what made his old games great to begin with, so they kept making games that don't look, sound, play or feel like Sonic games and have slapped his mug onto them for marquee value.

Whats also sad is that Unleashed's daytime stages WERE in fact, Sega's "attempt" at bringing Sonic back to his roots-it just shows how completely clueless they are as to what Classic Sonic really is. Classic Sonic isn't an automated borefest where you hold right constantly and press a button every now and then-it's gameplay with variety in stages, physics based platforming, a mix of speed, jumping about and exploration, with lush imaginative environments.

Face it-Sonic is dead. He's been dead since Sonic Adventure 2 (The game that killed the series) and theres no salvaging this pathetic cash cow of a franchise now. Even the Sonic Advance games failed to hit triple digits (Which is sad since the first one was the closest the series has ever gotten back to it's roots) and the Rush games were mediocre, clueless imitators. I gave up hope on the series a long time ago, and i only stick around now to see how much more Sega and Sonic Team can screw up the Sonic series than they already have.

Cheesy

How Sega Can Fix Sonic

Postby Cheesy » February 23rd, 2009, 8:27 pm

They need to take their time. I think that's what the problem is. It seems that as a new Sonic is released they start making another and release it as quickly as they possibly can. They need to release a game, take the time to think up some new and great concepts, then work on the game. Like even while they were working on Unleashed, still, the Black Knight Sonic is already in the works.

andrew

How Sega Can Fix Sonic

Postby andrew » February 23rd, 2009, 9:59 pm

Sonic is officially the new army men series of games. Crappy titles pumped out every six months.

Critic has the right idea on how to fix it.

Return to “Video Games General”