Some game whinings

General and high profile video game topics.
Anayo1

Some game whinings

Postby Anayo1 » February 24th, 2009, 6:28 pm

In the Atari days, computer memory was very limited. Therefore, when you made it to the high scores, you could only enter 3 characters to represent your name. Early, memory restrictive RPG's followed suit with this. Since our video games have built in hard drives and flash memory today, why are there still games that limit your name entry to only a few characters?

Another thing: when I pause a game, I want the music and sound effects to [b]mute.[/b] It is very annoying when someone wants to talk to me and I press start only for background music to continue playing.

KanYozakura

Some game whinings

Postby KanYozakura » March 4th, 2009, 7:24 pm

The reason for the name thing is probably to allow the text to flow smoothly in predetermined dialogue and to keep the screen less cluttered.  How much would it suck if someone had the name jaldkfjdalksjfla;ssssssssssssssflkasjfpoewaifjoawijpijeopfijopjopijoeffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffalkdjfdl
as one long string in an RPG game (forcing you to scroll 15 times) or blocking the entire screen every time one of your teammates runs by in an online FPS; it would suck hard!  Plus, whatever name you input takes up memory, so it can help limit the save file size (not a huge amount, but every little bit counts).  I know that it's frustrating to only be able to enter 10-15 characters sometimes, but it's probably for the better.

Return to “Video Games General”