Grandma's Boy

General and high profile video game topics.
Devon

Grandma's Boy

Postby Devon » April 3rd, 2009, 8:36 pm

Has anyone, including the VGC, ever seen this movie? It was produced by Happy Madison, Adam Sandler's production company. The plot involves a video game tester named Alex who gets kicked out of his apartment and is forced to live with his grandmother and her two other roommates.

There is a scene where all the testers challenge a bunch of teenagers to Frog Bog on the Intellivision (well, the Intellivision Lives! disk). There are a few references to video games in general like Super Mario, and there is a scene where Alex and their new manager Samantha played Marvel vs. Capcom 2.

So, who's seen it? 

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Grandma's Boy

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 4th, 2009, 10:06 am

I vaguely remember hearing something about this a few years back.  I will have to rent it sometime.  Thanks for the tip.

Devon

Grandma's Boy

Postby Devon » April 4th, 2009, 10:46 am

Oh yes, and I forget to mention. The first scene in the movie has Alex and his roommate playing Fight Night on the Xbox.

KanYozakura

Grandma's Boy

Postby KanYozakura » April 4th, 2009, 12:03 pm

I saw it and enjoyed it.  It's basically a stoner comedy with some video game references thrown in.  I especially liked the maniacal uber-programmer that dressed in all black...they really nailed it on that one, making fun of John Carmack, CliffyB and the like.

Also, the game featured in the movie is/was real, and as of 2006 it's still in development for the 360.

Devon

Grandma's Boy

Postby Devon » April 4th, 2009, 1:49 pm

Demonik? Sweet!

Chaz1

Grandma's Boy

Postby Chaz1 » April 4th, 2009, 4:58 pm

Actually Demonik was cancelled and work has been stopped on it since 2006.

Alienblue

Grandma's Boy

Postby Alienblue » April 4th, 2009, 9:10 pm

YES! This is one of the funniest movies I've ever seen. It's
VERY sexual and disgusting so be forewarned. Like the early scene where The guy is ..um.."playing with himself" and shoots some stuff he shouldn't on his freinds mom.

You didn't mention that Shirley Mclain , the SWEET MOMMY in THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY plays an oversexed SL*T in this movie. I like older women but doing it with a granny goes a bit far. I loved the character who "does" her though, he also plays DANCE DANCE REVOLUTION and pretends he's a newbie when he beats it.." UH OH, IT SAYS HIGH SCORE IS THAT BAD? I DIDN'T LIKE BREAK IT DID I?"

Even if you hate videogames this film is over the top funny, especially the climatic super-stoned out scene. I have to take strong pain meds and can relate..WOW MAN. OUTASITE. COOOOOOL.
The chimp was the smartest one.

I can never watch PARTRIDGE FAMILY reruns again though.
sweet, christian, adorable, PC mommy is a "HOE"!

Devon

Grandma's Boy

Postby Devon » April 4th, 2009, 9:53 pm

Jeff, the guy who does Shirley Jones' character, is the best character in the movie.

The film is very quotable to me. I always repeat his lines, particularly in the 'Frog Bog' scene.

"Your sh**t's weak! Wizz-eak!"
"I found a joint. I want to smoke. It'll be awesome."
(about a bean sprout quesadilla) "That's cool, if you wanna be sober and vomit."

My favorite line of his is after the 'Lara Croft' scene, "I love my turtle."

nesfan1

Grandma's Boy

Postby nesfan1 » April 4th, 2009, 10:16 pm

I just borrowed this movie from my brother a few weeks ago. Good lord, the guy who dresses all in black and talks like a robot makes ME look cool. And that's hard to do.

Michael D

Grandma's Boy

Postby Michael D » April 4th, 2009, 10:29 pm

Actually, the game they called Demonik in the movie was, in fact, released in 2005, before the film came out.  It was Predator: Concrete Jungle, published by Vivendi and developed by Eurocom for PS2 and Xbox.  I heard it wasn't very good, though...

As far as the movie itself, it was a lot better than I was expecting.  It was funny and surprisingly in tune with gamers and the games industry.  And it was good to see Kevin Nealon in something of worth again as the head of the game company who's in tune with Asian style meditation and spirituality.

Return to “Video Games General”