Let's Talk About Controllers

General and high profile video game topics.
Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » July 29th, 2014, 6:15 pm

You do understand the Option button is just a start button called different, right? It's the exact same thing!

Ozzybear1

Postby Ozzybear1 » July 29th, 2014, 9:15 pm

As I have already said and agree with Oltobaz just as he does me lol, the Option button is just a start button with a different name!!!!

and a couple more controllers I remembered I couldn't stand after reading this that I remembered.
the original xbox duke controller, horrible, way too big and uncomfortable, as was the sega dreamcast as well !!!

nesfan1

Postby nesfan1 » July 29th, 2014, 11:37 pm

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]You do understand the Option button is just a start button called different, right? It's the exact same thing![/QUOTE]Exactly. I don't get what the big deal is with the option button. So it's not labelled "start". Big whoop! No one complained when the Turbografx-16 changed start to run. Or when the Wii changed start to +. Or when the Xbox changed select to back. This stuff isn't set in stone. A button doesn't have to be labelled "start" in order to pause a game.

PinMike86661

Postby PinMike86661 » August 4th, 2014, 4:32 pm

Controllers from the 2nd Generation really aren't that great; Atari 2600 controllers, which is usually considered a classic, breaks too easily and cramps the hands. As far as my favorite 2nd Generation controllers go, it would very easily be Vectrex Controller as it is comfortable, has a nice layout, and has a very responsive stick; I really don't think too badly of the Intellivision Controller as it's responsive and not as uncomfortable as any controller during that era. Also, while I hate the Astrocade controller (stick has way too much throw), it was a very unique controller as it was an analog controller that predated the Atari 5200, but also had rotary on the head of the stick.

3rd Generation controllers weren't anything to write home about, either; I like the NES controller a lot, but that Atari 7800 and supposedly Master System's were piles. 4th Generation is when controllers finally were good all across the home consoles, with the Super Famicom controller as my favorite (I like the colored buttons and logo) as it has great face buttons and an awesome D-pad. 5th Generation was the last generation with truly unique controllers with the PlayStation mimicking the SNES controller but adding handles, Sega evolving their Genesis 6-button pad by adding shoulder buttons, and Nintendo using a three-grip controller (with the analog stick being in the middle). Controllers after the fifth pretty much was follow the leader as controllers were homogenous with Sony's design; exceptions being the GameCube having different analog stick and face button setups, Xbox 360 and PS3 adding analog triggers, Wii's motion controls, and asymmetrical sticks for the Wii U Gamepad and Pro Controller.

My top 3 controllers I own would be the Wii U Pro Controller, PS3, and Super NES/Famicom controller; honorable mentions to the NES, Sega Genesis Model 2, and Sega Saturn. On the contrary, my top 3 least favorite would be the Atari 7800 Pro Stick, Colecovision, and Astrocade.

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » August 6th, 2014, 9:33 am

I think 2nd generation controllers, often joysticks, were terrific. The Atari VCS became iconic (see banner on top of page) for a reason...it worked. Adults, teens and kids could pick them up and play all those pick up and play games. It was a great robust controller for the system. It was also a great controller for arcade gamers to use. The Odyssey 2 controllers worked well too. Third parties made some great ones I used on my C64, although the flight stick variety were more about looks to me. The Intellivision controller is, in contrast, an unergonomic overly complicated attempt at innovation that was utterly dissimiliar to any arcade scheme. I like the system and her library, but any appeal is in spite of her controller.

While the Atari 5200 gets the credit for being analog, lots of controllers were analog. Atari itself had analog controllers. Weren't the paddle controllers analog? Many pong era machines had analog controls, and not just along a single axis. I have a nice one, by Unisonic, with 360 degree analog controllers. Also non centering, but not really an issue there. The again, most everything was analog then. The music, the photography, the television, slot car racing, etc. What slot car racer would use a digital accelerator?

Return to “Video Games General”