Video Game Rants

General and high profile video game topics.
JustLikeHeaven1

Video Game Rants

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » May 30th, 2009, 1:28 pm

[QUOTE=ajsmart]

What the heck is a spider doing with elf boots or a diamond encrusted long bow?
[/QUOTE]

Thats easy...Some flashy Rick James like Elf got careless and eaten by said Spider.  Spider forgets to floss and has blinged out bow in her teeth for quite some time. 

Oltobaz1

Video Game Rants

Postby Oltobaz1 » May 30th, 2009, 1:44 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven][QUOTE=ajsmart]

What the heck is a spider doing with elf boots or a diamond encrusted long bow?
[/QUOTE]

Thats easy...Some flashy Rick James like Elf got careless and eaten by said Spider.  Spider forgets to floss and has blinged out bow in her teeth for quite some time. 
[/QUOTE]

You just solved a question I've been torturing myself with the better part of my life. Thank you.

Luke

Video Game Rants

Postby Luke » May 30th, 2009, 2:15 pm

I get tired of racing games where everything is locked and you have to almost perform the impossible in order to unlock all the cool cars, tracks, levels, and licenses.

From a simulation standpoint, I can understand using this system with something like the Gran Turismo or Codemasters Race Driver series. But when I see this in an arcade-type game like Project Gotham Racing or Outrun 2006, then I start to shake my head.

I'm just getting tired of seeing it in almost every racing game now.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Video Game Rants

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 30th, 2009, 2:42 pm

[QUOTE=Luke]I get tired of racing games where everything is locked and you have to almost perform the impossible in order to unlock all the cool cars, tracks, levels, and licenses.

From a simulation standpoint, I can understand using this system with something like the Gran Turismo or Codemasters Race Driver series. But when I see this in an arcade-type game like Project Gotham Racing or Outrun 2006, then I start to shake my head.

I'm just getting tired of seeing it in almost every racing game now. [/QUOTE]

It's not only racing games Luke, how about the Hot Shot Golf games where you begin with ONE course and maybe TWO characters (if you're lucky).  I paid for the game so let me access the content. Unlockables should be extra stuff that's just for fun and not integral to the game.

Marriott_Guy1

Video Game Rants

Postby Marriott_Guy1 » May 30th, 2009, 4:11 pm

A good rant I'll toss in - the displaying/saving of the snapshot of where your 'hero' is in the game when you save a game file.  Though mostly he norm now, this was cool/needed to this day expecially when manipulating multipe game saves.

Shogun1

Video Game Rants

Postby Shogun1 » May 30th, 2009, 6:44 pm

I hate it when a game has a good concept and is interesting to me to only play it and find out how hard the controls are to grasp to the point of not even wanting to play the game anymore, no matter how good everything else is. A game will get glowing reviews but I find myself frustrated with the controls. That is really one of the few things about a game I care about, good controls. The others being fun and interesting.

Another thing I hate is when you die in some of these cinematic type games, it takes you back to the title screen so you have to load the game back up again. Can't I just get an option to retry the level. Especially in Eternal Darkness, where you can't skip cut scenes.

Another thing I find annoying is how some video game websites seem more like tabloids than actual news. Nothing ever seems productive and it seems none of the articles have any real analysis. Quit calling Michael Patch-Adams or whatever his name is.

Something that I find annoying is the label of casual and hardcore. When the term casual is used, why not just use retarded or stupid because that is the way people are really using that term. The casuals are buying Wii Fit. You might as well just say the retards are buying Wii Fit. Oh no, the casuals are invading gaming! Hide your children! Wait, the children are casual too!

Another thing is complaining about the sales of a game and how video game magazines or websites criticize people for not buying said game. Why do I have to buy a game I don't want just because a website or magazine gave it a good score and why is it my fault? I don't want the game. Money does not fly out of my butt, I'll buy a game that I find has value to it. You know, something that I find interesting. Am I supposed to be a puppet to do the bidding of Game Magazine A or Game Website B?

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Video Game Rants

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 31st, 2009, 1:16 pm

Shogun,
You make a lot of good points.  Your first and last paragraphs reflect some of the feelings I recently had when reviewing Mirror's Edge.

A lot of times a magazine will hype a game and then become disgusted at the public for not buying it.  Beyond Good and Evil, Viewtiful Joe, and Mirror's Edge are a just a few examples.  None of these were as good as the magazine reviews.
VGC

steer

Video Game Rants

Postby steer » May 31st, 2009, 5:20 pm

Something that I find annoying is the label of casual and hardcore. When the term casual is used, why not just use retarded or stupid because that is the way people are really using that term. The casuals are buying Wii Fit. You might as well just say the retards are buying Wii Fit. Oh no, the casuals are invading gaming! Hide your children! Wait, the children are casual too!

Another thing is complaining about the sales of a game and how video game magazines or websites criticize people for not buying said game. Why do I have to buy a game I don't want just because a website or magazine gave it a good score and why is it my fault? I don't want the game. Money does not fly out of my butt, I'll buy a game that I find has value to it. You know, something that I find interesting. Am I supposed to be a puppet to do the bidding of Game Magazine A or Game Website B?

Great post, I loved it!

Yeah, the world of gaming is a big group think stew....

Jeff

Video Game Rants

Postby Jeff » June 3rd, 2009, 6:37 pm

My rant is about these games that were good and now suck!
   Look at the suikoden series for example,1 and 2 were very good then the creator must have started some heavy drugs and forgot what game he was making.Suikoden used to be about recruiting 108 characters and building up your castle.NOW some of these new "Suikodens" only have like 60 but they still talk in the game about the 108?
And where the heck is my castle at? its like a completley different game from the originals....these new ones suck!
Next would have to be Final Fantasy.....Why Enix? I know they didnt need the money.
SquareEnix blows,its all girly now.FF used to be about Towns make of scrap metal and guns......now those Guns and Swords have pink flowers on them....GRRRR

BanjoPickles1

Video Game Rants

Postby BanjoPickles1 » June 3rd, 2009, 11:32 pm

Episodic content for anything that isn't point and click-style games, ala Sam and Max or Strong Bad! Why is Final Fantasy IV: the After Years episodic? This was a first-day purchase for me...until I found out that it's episodic! A stupid, money-milking ploy that won't work on me anymore!;-)

The fact that almost every company I have ever loved is either gone or close to it. Save for Capcom and Nintendo, there are no old school companies left that I care for and that sucks! I miss the good old Sega(I wish they were half as good as they were during the Genny-Dreamcast days)! Also, I'm gonna miss Midway! *Sheds a few tears. Please, guys, don't go!!!! *Reaches out his hand, in vain.

Return to “Video Games General”