Which Games Was the VGC Unfair Towards?

General and high profile video game topics.
Luke

Postby Luke » July 19th, 2009, 4:18 am

Metalstorm (NES)
F-Zero (SNES)

andrew

Postby andrew » July 19th, 2009, 10:42 am

[QUOTE=Gentlegamer]Any game that is "too hard."
[/QUOTE]

To be fair, Ghosts and Goblins got an A- even though he said is was too hard.

As for F-Zero, why play the dated SNES version when F-Zero X on the n64 is 15 times better. Banging into walls or getting sucked to one side is pretty annoying in the original.

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » July 19th, 2009, 11:21 am

The Critic is way off base with Rescue Rangers (NES). This is one of my favourite games on the NES and while the two player mode can be a little frustrating, the single player mode is a ton of fun with a very reasonable difficulty level. The stages are well designed and the music is very catchy.

I also think the Critic was unfair towards Mario Kart 64. In particular, he criticizes the unfair blue shell and the 'artifically close' races. Why did he single this title out when it gets much worse in later games like Mario Kart DS.  This is hands down my favourite game for a system I hated.

He is also WAY off base with the two PS2 Contra games (Shattered Soldier and Neo Contra). He should have the scores reversed!

andrew

Postby andrew » July 19th, 2009, 2:03 pm

[QUOTE=Viper82]
I also think the Critic was unfair towards Mario Kart 64. In particular, he criticizes the unfair blue shell and the 'artifically close' races. Why did he single this title out when it gets much worse in later games like Mario Kart DS.  This is hands down my favourite game for a system I hated.

He is also WAY off base with the two PS2 Contra games (Shattered Soldier and Neo Contra). He should have the scores reversed!
[/QUOTE]

I'll have to agree with those mario kart 64 complaints. The mask shield in Crash Team Racing not only makes you invincible but you can run into other oppoents to make them crash and it increases your max speed. That's much more powerful than the blue shell which usually only goes to drivers who are really sucking in the race.

As for aritfically close, you can drive great races in Crash Team and have opponents be right there at the end from seemingly out of nowhere. I don't mind because it makes it exciting and I agree CTR is still easily the better game but to single a kart game out for similar things is unfair.

I haven;t played either Contra game but it seems odd to me that a 3D contra would be more enjoyable than a 2D side scroller type.

MappyMousePD

Postby MappyMousePD » July 19th, 2009, 2:35 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever][QUOTE=Paul Campbell]The Orange Box
[/QUOTE]
That one didn't strike me as unfair so much as surprising.  I thought for sure it'd get an A++ just for Portal, the greatest game of all time, ever. 
[/QUOTE]

It was unfair to even review the product without testing it more.

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » July 19th, 2009, 8:57 pm

The Dizzy games. Yeah, they can be a bit unforgiving, but the idea is to explore and understand the relatively small world, trying to figure out the correct solution. It's a great mix between platform and adventure, andis one of the best examples of the genre. Fs is very very harsh. They're beloved classics for a reason.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » July 20th, 2009, 2:00 am

I'm unfamiliar with the Dizzy games and can't seem to find any reviews from the Critic about one?

What review specifically were you talking about?

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » July 20th, 2009, 3:48 am

He reviewed some of the NES ports - Dizzy the Adventurer and Quattro Adventure, a multicart including Treasure Island Dizzy and 3 unrelated games.

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » July 20th, 2009, 12:20 pm

[QUOTE=andrew]

[QUOTE=Gentlegamer]Any game that is "too hard."
[/QUOTE]

To be fair, Ghosts and Goblins got an A- even though he said is was too hard.
[/QUOTE]That's what's known as an outlier.

Chris D.

Postby Chris D. » July 24th, 2009, 6:19 pm

I have to agree with the folks who mentioned F-Zero. I loved it when it first hit the SNES and I love it again on the VC. I think it holds up well even when playing on a front projector with a 10' screen.

But the review I disagree with the most is Endless Ocean for the Wii. That game transported me like no other. I thought it was incredibly immersive. And I don't think the Critic dived deep enough into the game to get enough out of it. There's hidden treasure, cryptic messages, and an overall decent storyline if one is just a little bit patient. When I first dived into the Abyss I was really creeped out, kind of like playing Resident Evil for the first time. The first time I discovered a whale and a giant squid, I was in awe. Considering all the bland titles that got a similar grade, I thought it was terribly unfair to give such a unique and deep title such a low grade.

Return to “Video Games General”