Which Games Was the VGC Unfair Towards?

General and high profile video game topics.
GameBoy Girl

Postby GameBoy Girl » July 15th, 2009, 7:55 pm

Since he seems to be on a roll of re-reviews, I thought now would be the perfect time to ask what games you'd like him to re-consider.

Here's some of mine:

The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons - Oracle of Ages is one of the best games ever made.  Seasons is slightly less great, but still an amazing game.  Both of these are some of Zelda's finest hours.  C+ is totally unfair.

F-Zero - Oh, come on!  This is great fun!  I don't know how you can give this game a D+, but give Super Mario Kart an A+.

Mad Dog McCree (CD-i) - F!?  The CD-i port of Mad Dog McCree was one of the best arcade ports ever - and far better than the original arcade game.  It's fast and furious shooting fun at its finest, and one of the best games for the CD-i.

Superman (Atari 2600) - Superman is a brilliant work of 4-bit art, and one of the best games for the Atari 2600.  If you know what to do, you might find it to be insanely addictive.

Revolution X - Yes, the Saturn version is crap.  But please give the arcade version a try.  It's a blast!

S.T.U.N. Runner - In his review of Midway Arcade Treasures 3, he gave S.T.U.N Runner a D.  Please give this game another chance.  It's a great classic.

Space Invaders - In his review of Taito Legends, he gave Space Invaders a C.  A C?  I don't understand.  He gave the Atari 2600 version an A- and the Atari 5200 version an A!  Space Invaders is like Pac-Man or Pong.  Like wine, it just gets better with age.

The Quest for the Rings - This near-masterpiece deserves way better than a C+.  It's amazing how much time and effort went into crafting this gem.  Pure fun with a whole treasure trove of cool extras.  Perhaps even better than K.C. Munchkin.

Tomcat Alley - This game took FMV to new heights.  Pure fun at its finest.  It really feels like you're actually playing a movie.  This is one of the best Sega CD games... well, along with Sonic CD, Microcosm, Silpheed, Shining Force CD, Earthworm Jim: Special Edition, Lunar: Eternal Blue, Lunar: The Silver Star, Snatcher, Eternal Champions: Challenge From the Dark Side, Wing Commander, and Dark Wizard.  Come to think of it, the Sega CD is just brimming with great games!

Sonic CD - As stated above, Sonic CD is not only one of the best Sega CD games, but arguably the best Sonic game period.

Animal Crossing - Totally engrossing, but it requires much time.

Great Ice Hockey and Star Battle - Sure, these games are mediocre, but an F-!?  Panic! was the only F- game that truly deserved an F-... well, along with Karate for the Atari 2600.

There are many, many more examples.  What games do you feel that the VGC was unfair towards?

Thebawwradar

Postby Thebawwradar » July 15th, 2009, 9:29 pm

My two cents...

Mirror's edge was a fantastic platformer, I like it's cel-shaded graphics and unique control scheme.

Mortal Kombat 3 for the SNES might have had an awful A.I., but at least it played better than the Genesis version...

DooM for the Super Nintendo, Don't be surprised if the limited technology could only be pushed so far. I guess it deserves a D+ for effort critic....

James1

Postby James1 » July 15th, 2009, 10:45 pm

Did you even bother reading the posts in your previous thread about about Factual Errors on this website?

Nicholas Pozega

Postby Nicholas Pozega » July 15th, 2009, 10:45 pm

Mega Man: Powered Up. Nuff said.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 16th, 2009, 1:57 pm

Pole Position 2 on the 7800.  In an attempt not to go into the usual annoyingly long rant here, I will use bullet point form.  He docks PP2 marks for being:
1) A sequel with three times the content of its predecessor
2) Not Super Mario Bros, but being a behind the vehicle racer that is a pack in, while not knocking Hang On for being the exact same thing
3) A racer where you have one button for gas and one for brakes, while never docking any other racer for the same thing.  In fact, he points out how useful it is having the only button being brake in PP1 on the 2600.   
4)  Based on an old arcade game, while never docking any other arcade conversion in history for the same thing (Hang On again getting a very mysterious free pass as well). 

I'll just stop here in the interest of saving bandwidth, as I could go on.  The entire review is a mess. 

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » July 16th, 2009, 6:00 pm

Mario Kart 64: Why did he give it a B- for the same mistakes you could find in the original,like the cheap AI the insanely close races come on?

Rayman (Saturn): While I can understand the level design criticisms,the rest is just sooo wrong. I like the Band Land stage,and besides it still plays out the same in the end. And many of those flaws were also in the Jaguar version.

Sonic CD: It plays just like the other Sonics for the most part if not better

Super Mario 64: How do you criticize a game for it's camera,when it's pretty much the first game to actually use the camera to such an extent? What's more theres criticism for the Galaxy camera which was so much worse

Star Fox Adventures: This game really wasn't even that bad,it was completely mediocre. Sure the levels were weird and it's hard getting used to not being in an Arwing,but still .Not to mention adding the E.T. award  which is completely unnecessary,after all Critic's the only Critic I know that didn't like it.

For the record F-Zero was rereviewed,there's no way he'll reconsider.We already tried

Paul Campbell

Postby Paul Campbell » July 18th, 2009, 11:41 am

The Orange Box

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » July 18th, 2009, 6:17 pm

"Otogi" for the XBox.

I'm not quite sure what about this game rubbed Dave the wrong way, but I enjoyed it quite a bit back in the day...

- Mark

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 18th, 2009, 10:24 pm

[QUOTE=Paul Campbell]The Orange Box
[/QUOTE]
That one didn't strike me as unfair so much as surprising.  I thought for sure it'd get an A++ just for Portal, the greatest game of all time, ever. 

Gentlegamer1

Postby Gentlegamer1 » July 19th, 2009, 12:06 am

Any game that is "too hard."

Return to “Video Games General”