Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988

General and high profile video game topics.
Brett Weiss

Postby Brett Weiss » July 21st, 2009, 12:42 am

My new book, Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988, is now available.

Click on the following link for more info:

http://brettweisswords.blogspot.com/

Here's a description of the book:

Introduced by Bill “The Game Doctor” Kunkel, one of the most important figures in all of classic gaming, Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988 contains detailed descriptions/reviews of every U.S.-released game for the Nintendo NES, one of the best, most popular video game systems ever produced. The book also contains detailed descriptions/reviews of every U.S.-released game for the Atari 7800 (revised, expanded, and updated from Vol. 1) and the Sega Master System, both of which maintain a loyal fan base to this day.Organized alphabetically by console brand, each chapter in this book includes a description of the game system, followed by substantive, literate, fun-to-read entries (most 125-185 words in length) for every game released for that console, regardless of when the game was produced (meaning hundreds of games are covered).

Each video game entry includes publisher/developer data and the release year, along with gameplay information and, usually, the author’s critique. A glossary provides a helpful guide to the classic video game genres and terms referenced throughout the work, and a preface provides a look at the industry at the time (and how it relates to gaming today), along with anecdotes from the author, a full-time writer who has been a devoted gamer and game collector since the days of Pong, Pitfall!, and Pac-Man.

Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988, which is the follow-up to the critically acclaimed Classic Home Video Games, 1972-1984, also contains photos, historical information, and comparisons to arcade classics, computer games, and similar games for other consoles. Aimed at hardcore gamers, casual fans, and pop culture scholars alike, Classic Home Video Games 1985-1988 is must-reading for anyone interested in the history of the industry and the playability of its games, namely that fondly remembered era that gave us the Atari 7800, the Sega Master System, and the Nintendo NES.

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 21st, 2009, 9:11 am

Dear Mr. Weiss,
Why do you decide to target me specifically.  Is it not enough that I payed for your original book, direct from you (autographed I might add)?  That book had a section on the 7800, despite the system not really releasing in the time frame you covered.  An act, specifically designed to leave me empty.  Now this new book comes out, and lo and behold a newly revised 7800 section.  The 7800 was an unpopular system (except with certain ultra cool individuals), and yet it is covered twice, in two books from you.  And with such a great first volumn in the series, what is the chance a second purchase will not be in order?  Zero.  And who is hurt by all this coverage of the 7800?  Me. 

Sincerly,
Atarifever's wallet

Brett Weiss

Postby Brett Weiss » July 21st, 2009, 10:25 am

Hi Atari Fever,

Sorry you are disappointed that the 7800 is covered in the second book. I included it the first book as a bonus because Atari buffs would have been upset that the classic trilogy (2600, 5200, 7800) was broken up, and I included it the second book because it was released during that period. The revisions come primarily in the form of comparing 7800 games to titles for the NES and Master System, to make it fit in with the new book.

I can't please everyone, but I certainly try.

Best,

Brett

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » July 21st, 2009, 11:25 am

[QUOTE=Brett Weiss]Hi Atari Fever,

Sorry you are disappointed that the 7800 is covered in the second book. I included it the first book as a bonus because Atari buffs would have been upset that the classic trilogy (2600, 5200, 7800) was broken up, and I included it the second book because it was released during that period. The revisions come primarily in the form of comparing 7800 games to titles for the NES and Master System, to make it fit in with the new book.

I can't please everyone, but I certainly try.

Best,

Brett
[/QUOTE]
I hope my post made it clear that I am actually happy about this.  Once I write a post that is 3/4 joke, and then someone responds in what may be deadpan, my sense of tone is completely destroyed and I am unaware if we are agreeing or not.  In short, it is great having a second set of 7800 comparisons; keep up the great work.

Brett Weiss

Postby Brett Weiss » July 21st, 2009, 11:48 am

Heh...

Sorry, I'm a little slow today. Got back from Galveston late last night and am exhausted.

Best,

Brett

James1

Postby James1 » July 21st, 2009, 1:00 pm

Could you please explain why a 287 page hardcover book is $55?

Brett Weiss

Postby Brett Weiss » July 21st, 2009, 1:14 pm

McFarland Publishers is a prestige company that specializes in niche market books, such as foreign films, specific periods of history, scholarly studies, etc. Their hardcover books are bound slick, sturdy, and durable like text books, hence the price. 

James1

Postby James1 » July 21st, 2009, 2:32 pm

Brett no offense but that was a really weak response.
It boggles my mind how a book like that can cost so much when I purchase books on even more obscure niche topics, with 3 times as many pages, way more photographs, pages twice the size and in the same style of hardcover yet I only pay $20 new(Not on Sale) at the local Chapters bookstore.

Please don't think I am directly criticizing your book in any way because I am not it looks freaking awesome. BUT no matter the publisher I amazed how that much paper and cardboard could add up to $55.

Thebawwradar

Postby Thebawwradar » July 21st, 2009, 3:12 pm

James, Want a high quality book? Expect a high price...

Brett Weiss

Postby Brett Weiss » July 21st, 2009, 3:24 pm

The price is entirely up to the publisher, so it's out of my hands. What I can tell you is that I've never heard from anyone who bought the first book and regretted the purchase. Quite the opposite, in fact. Sample pages of the new book will be online soon. I'll post a link when they are.

Return to “Video Games General”