Room Of Doom (atari 2600)..BURIED TREASURE

General and high profile video game topics.
Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » April 1st, 2006, 5:23 pm

Dave, I hope one day you review this game. This has got to be the best Atari 2600 game that I've found in years. It's extremely intense and addictive.It's extremely rare that I run across 2600 games that are addictive and don't get boring in 10 minutes. This is one of those precious few 2600 games that has you hitting the reset switch over and over for hours on end.  I've never heard of this game before and I have a feeling nobody else has heard of it either. It's quite a shame. But anyway, like I said before, I hope this BURIED TREASURE...yes Zen said BURIED TREASURE..is reviewed one day on your site. The word must get out!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 1st, 2006, 7:12 pm

Stop - you had me at hello!
I HAVE to have this game!!

Omegamatrix

Postby Omegamatrix » April 1st, 2006, 7:49 pm

Room of Doom is an excellent game! Quite worthy of review, and one of my personal favorites for the 2600.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » April 2nd, 2006, 6:52 am

Yes, that is an excellent one. Lots of variations but basically you are trapped like BERZERK but the robots are OUTSIDE the
maze and INSIDE with you on higher levels is a HYDRA HEADED monster. This game actually is a take on an old , OLD B&W coin-op called SHERRIF, where your sherrif is surrounded by bad guys marching in a square shooting at you. To see THAT game, Dave, and get a idea of ROD, check out the "oldies" on your GBA game
WARIOWARE! It's on there! Other Commavid games to check out...
KILLER TERMITES or SPACE SWARM (or something like that I'm blocking on the titles here..)...TANKS BUT NO TANKS, and their final game, the UFO like one... STRONGHOLD! THAT was a cool
game. All Commavid games are hard to find in good condition, unless you are lucky...this is the company that made MAGICARD and LIFE, two 2600 carts wort over $999 right now!

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » April 2nd, 2006, 6:44 pm

I think what makes me really admire this game is that it has all the tension, the sense of being trapped, and the extreme challenge of Robotron.....obviously you can't make a decent version of Robotron for Atari 2600(too many sprites at once to process), so they made a robot-shooting game where you are in an equally bleak&overwelmed situation without having tons of stuff on the screen at once.

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » April 3rd, 2006, 6:24 am

..I meant to say SPACE SWARM...that is an early COMAVID game, featuring single point scoring but still good. Then there is the game STRONGHOLD, a very oroginal game in which a robot must pick up parts in a maze, avoiding both monsters and being drowned by the rising water...(no I never owned a single Comavid game... they were hard to find even "way back when" but yes I did play these at a freinds house...)

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » April 3rd, 2006, 3:14 pm

Do you mean Cosmic Swarm?? I scored this game the same time I got Room Of Doom. You control an Asteriods-rip-off ship, and you blast streaks(that are supposed to be bugs or something), leaving behind squares. I want to like this game, but the controls seem very hapazard and innaccurate to me. When I want to aim, I end up moving, when i want to move, I end up aiming.....see

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » April 4th, 2006, 5:10 am

COSMIC SWARM-D'OH! Thank you! This is what happens when your old 80's video game magazines are all neatly stored in a box in the closet (still making me clean my apartment here, being VERY anal about it! A Man has a right to be messy! )...anyway, like I said I don't OWN them, it was from memory..I trust I got STRONGHOLD right? I know Comavid made a few other games but
I can't remember them now...)

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » April 5th, 2006, 3:25 pm

I think that all Commvid games are rare, and Room Of Doom and Cosmic Swarm are the only games you can actually find and/or pay a reasonable price for. I'm sure that Stronghold is worth alot of money, so I'll never own/buy it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 11th, 2006, 6:56 pm

Okay, I bought a Room of Doom cartridge off Ebay, but I have no instructions.
Are there any difficulty settings, game variations, or special controls I need to know about?
Please advise!

Return to “Video Games General”