Hoping Avatar will flop

General and high profile video game topics.
Gentlegamer1

Hoping Avatar will flop

Postby Gentlegamer1 » December 16th, 2009, 10:32 pm

From what I gather, the film is a cross between "Dances with Wolves" and "The Matrix," both crappy movies with political messages. I suppose it has a dash of nu-Star Wars sprinkled in with the full CGI parts. Not a recipe for good entertainment.

andrew

Hoping Avatar will flop

Postby andrew » December 17th, 2009, 4:29 pm

I finally got around to watching the full trailer. I'm still confused about the storyline a bit but the transition from live to cgi seemed more natural in the trailer as it should be. I wasn't disoriented compared to the lackluster confusing commercials.

I have now changed my status for this to film from non caring to excited. The movie looks like a winner. It's also sent the entertainment industry into 3D overload. I was watching the news last night and they talked about how companies are making 3D capable televisions while another company devleoped a sheet you can place over your computer, iphone or television screen to simulate a convincing 3D look.

Sorry critic, I want this movie to suceed and it most likely will. Cameron's reputation alone should garner at least $400 million even if it was crap though that doesn't seem to be the case. While there is some bias for him to succeed as Cameron is canadian, he's as reliable a director as you'll find.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Hoping Avatar will flop

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 17th, 2009, 6:52 pm

The Baltimore Sun gave it three stars - pretty modest for all of the hype.  The reviewer said the first one and a half hours were captivating, but the movie lost steam in the final 72 minutes. 

Great, another movie that's too long because the director falls in love with every scene he films and can't bear to edit it down.

Fro

Hoping Avatar will flop

Postby Fro » December 17th, 2009, 8:22 pm

I'm going to see it Sunday at the Imax 3D here in Grand Rapids.  Looking forward to it.  Actually, I love all the build-up and hype for "blockbuster" movies.  I enjoy checking these type of movies out to see if its [actually] worth the hype.  Looking forward to the 3D too. 

However, from the trailer, I think it does have a "cartoon" appearance...  Wonder if that will impact how I react to the movie???

snakeboy1

Hoping Avatar will flop

Postby snakeboy1 » December 17th, 2009, 9:14 pm

When I first saw the trailer for Avatar, I thought it looked beyond ridiculous, however, I was thinking that I could probably sit through it if my girlfriend wanted to see. After all I don't mind watching a bad movie if I can laugh at its stupidity and make fun of it. However, if it's true that it is close to 3 hours long, that pretty much puts the kibosh on any chances of me seeing it.

Roperious1

Hoping Avatar will flop

Postby Roperious1 » December 18th, 2009, 8:23 am

After my 9 day law school exam period- which ends today (!), i'm going to see Avatar in IMAX. Looking forward to it. 

For me it'll be an experience, I do have high hopes, because of the director, but I won't force myself to like it as a result. 

Bluenote1

Hoping Avatar will flop

Postby Bluenote1 » December 18th, 2009, 11:39 am

Critic, you're basing your opinion on ONE review, and a trailer.  How about actually WATCHING the movie and then give an opinion???  Sorry, don't mean to sound rude, but let's all watch the movie, then give our reviews.....

steer

Hoping Avatar will flop

Postby steer » December 18th, 2009, 1:56 pm

At the same time - most books CAN be judged by the cover....

Saves both money and time NOT to read them!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Hoping Avatar will flop

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 18th, 2009, 5:44 pm

[QUOTE=Bluenote]

Critic, you're basing your opinion on ONE review, and a trailer.  How about actually WATCHING the movie and then give an opinion???  Sorry, don't mean to sound rude, but let's all watch the movie, then give our reviews.....

[/QUOTE]

Bluenote,
I can appreciate your point, but you need to keep in mind that today's trailers are 5-minute mini-movies that introduce most of the characters and give away most of the major plot points.  Be honest - how many times have you seen a trailer and felt like you knew the whole movie?

And from my experience, I can tell you that they usually include the best scenes in those trailers, so if you don't like the trailer, chances are you won't like the film!

The whole point of a trailer is to make you want to see a movie.  If you have the opposite reaction, the should be a red flag.

That said, I am looking forward to reading your reviews...

andrew

Hoping Avatar will flop

Postby andrew » December 18th, 2009, 8:55 pm

83% overall rating fresh rating (positive review %) on Rottentomatoes. However, the mark of a truly great film is when it's top critic approval % is higher than the overall rating. It's top critic % is a whopping 94%. I'm not saying that automatically means you'll like it (Prince Of Persia: Sands Of Time comes to mind), but it's hard to dismiss. When a abysmally rated Transformers 2 destroys the box office while a hugely hyped film from a legendary director gets 94%, there's no way it's flopping.

I'll probably go see it next tuesday and post some impressions then. That's a big statement in itself because I hardly ever go to the theatres since there's so much crap and all the best stuff from the past is on dvd. Going to see Star Trek this year marked the end of a multiyear drought of going to the theatre.

It has been reported that some viewers suffered from motion sickness watching the movie in 3D for over two hours. Make sure you have an iron stomach or if not a theatre that doesn't support 3D.

Return to “Video Games General”