Plagiarism!!

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Plagiarism!!

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 23rd, 2009, 10:57 pm

HostGator.com called me at home (!) and is taking this matter very seriously.  These guys are really on the ball and are prepared to take action, which may include taking down the sites in question.

First, however I need to fill out an official complaint and provide as many instances of copyright infringement as possible.  

I have already compiled a small list of URLs with offending reviews, but I could really use some assistance in compiling a more comprehensive list. 

Please take a look at these two sites and note any links you see that link to my plagiarized reviews.  Send any information you compile to me via the feedback link.
http://www.recycledgaming.com/
http://www.modernclassicgaming.com/

Whether you send me one link or 20, I will be grateful.  I will feed them to HostGator who will ensure they are removed.

HostGator.com is aware of this thread, and they have advised me that my readers are my most valuable resource in this effort.

Thanks for your support!
Dave

Luke

Plagiarism!!

Postby Luke » December 24th, 2009, 3:21 am

Is it really that big of a deal?

Critic, you've posted an awful lot of pictures of games from other websites and used them to correspond with your reviews.

Have you received permission to use all those pictures??

m0zart1

Plagiarism!!

Postby m0zart1 » December 24th, 2009, 3:28 am

[QUOTE=Luke]Is it really that big of a deal?

Critic, you've posted an awful lot of pictures of games from other websites and used them to correspond with your reviews.

Have you received permission to use all those pictures??[/QUOTE]

*eyes roll*

Yes it's a big deal when someone uses your work in any capacity without your permission.  It's even worse, much worse, when they pretend your work is their own.

Oltobaz1

Plagiarism!!

Postby Oltobaz1 » December 24th, 2009, 4:15 am

The way you phrase all this, sounds like you're pretty sure he hasn't.
Aren't you assuming too much?

BanjoPickles1

Plagiarism!!

Postby BanjoPickles1 » December 24th, 2009, 4:35 am

Some people take their work, something that they invested alot of time into, very seriously....as they should! If you plagiarize in college, they can drop you from the class, or worse! Obviously, it is a "big deal."

Luke

Plagiarism!!

Postby Luke » December 24th, 2009, 5:47 am

[QUOTE=Oltobaz][QUOTE=Luke]Is it really that big of a deal?

The way you phrase all this, sounds like you're pretty sure he hasn't.
Aren't you assuming too much?[/QUOTE]With all his "modern reviews," I've obviously noticed that he has used all IGN images. So I would almost be lead to believe that he may have gotten permission to use images from their site. But what about all the older game images?

Not trying to be a jerk here. Just making a point.

Anyway, the dude in question isn't making any money off these alleged stolen words or reviews. So why go nuts and start a thread about it? It's Christmas. Just give the guy(s) a fair warning and then kick back and drink some egg nog with your family.

Paul Campbell

Plagiarism!!

Postby Paul Campbell » December 24th, 2009, 5:52 am

Are you retarded?  Do you think he would be making a big deal of this if he HADN'T received permission?  You should think before you post.

Paul Campbell

Plagiarism!!

Postby Paul Campbell » December 24th, 2009, 6:03 am

I also need to add, Luke, if you had put all the time and effort into making a site like this and somebody else copied a huge portion of it and called it their own work... without your permission... would you not be a little pissed?  I can't believe you had to ask that question.  Once again... save us the eye-rolling and think before you post.  I'd be embarrassed for you if I wasn't so irritated...

m0zart1

Plagiarism!!

Postby m0zart1 » December 24th, 2009, 7:21 am

[QUOTE=Luke]Not trying to be a jerk here. Just making a point.[/QUOTE]

Right, but it's the point you're making that is being challenged.

[QUOTE=Luke]Anyway, the dude in question isn't making any money off these alleged stolen words or reviews. So why go nuts and start a thread about it? It's Christmas. Just give the guy(s) a fair warning and then kick back and drink some egg nog with your family. [/QUOTE]

Christmas gifts are given willingly, not taken.  He took something that wasn't his.

He gets advertising dollars to his site, so that's "making money", but that really doesn't matter.  The issue is that he stole work that wasn't his, and that work just happens to belong to Dave.  It can't get any more clear-cut than that.

DJC1

Plagiarism!!

Postby DJC1 » December 24th, 2009, 7:49 am

Luke,

You're forgetting one thing...

On every page in the critics site you will see a statement similar to "Screenshots courtesy of IGN".  Dave is not saying that he took all of the screenshots himself. There is a huge difference there. 

Would it bother you if when in school you wrote a 20 page paper and then had another kid steal it, copy it, and turn it in and get an A on it?

-DJ

Return to “Video Games General”