DRM - How it limits downloadable games

General and high profile video game topics.
Leo1

Postby Leo1 » February 27th, 2010, 3:21 am

Nintendo doesn't allow the transfer of DLC. Anyone upgrading to this new DS revision will have to repurchase what content they want on it.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » March 5th, 2010, 3:48 pm

According to an article on Slashdot, Ubisoft is implementing a DRM system where the user needs to be logged into the Internet at all times while playing.  They are doing this for PC games, but I bet they would do it for console games - if they could get away with it.

Check out these threads for details and comments:

gilly

Postby gilly » March 5th, 2010, 3:52 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]According to an article on Slashdot, Ubisoft is implementing a DRM system where the user needs to be logged into the Internet at all times while playing.  They are doing this for PC games, but I bet they would do it for console games - if they could get away with it.

[/QUOTE]

So if my internet is temporarily down I cannot play my game? Even if I bought the disc? WOW! I'm starting to really, really, really miss cartridges

Pixelcade1

Postby Pixelcade1 » March 5th, 2010, 3:54 pm

I have one game that requires me to be online when playing and that is Company of Heroes. They issued a patch a long time ago that mandated you login to their serves to play even single player campaigns and skirmishes. I have the expansion it uninstalls the first game and writes a whole new game and again mandates you login or you can't play. I don't have the third expansion yet but I'm sure it's the same thing. The game takes forever to install and all I wanted to do was play boy was I surprised when I patched it and then had to wait hours while patches and updates downloaded and I couldn't play.

Made by THQ

andrew

Postby andrew » March 5th, 2010, 5:05 pm

[QUOTE=gilly][QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]According to an article on Slashdot, Ubisoft is implementing a DRM system where the user needs to be logged into the Internet at all times while playing.  They are doing this for PC games, but I bet they would do it for console games - if they could get away with it.

[/QUOTE]

So if my internet is temporarily down I cannot play my game? Even if I bought the disc? WOW! I'm starting to really, really, really miss cartridges

[/QUOTE]

What do cartidges have to do this. Ubisoft is now my number one hated company. Really no one can defend this decision. Do most of us have a permanent connection? Well of course we do. However I cannot guarantee that my internet decides to temporarily act up which it does from time to time. It's not just your isp you have to worry about. Your modem and/or router can decide to act up ocassionally as could windows network. If it dfoes act up, it apparently quits the game and returns you to the main menu making you lose all unsaved progress.

That system also forces you to have your game saves stored on their servers, not your machine which is bs. Since when does someone need a permanent no less connection just to play a single player game?

Where's the guarantee ubisoft will keep their word and make an offline patch in the future when they disocntinue the servers for those games. What incentive do they have to do that? They make no money from it.

I saw one of those games at futureshop yesterday. A big ugly notice encased in a solid rectangular border litters the front boxart.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » March 5th, 2010, 10:16 pm

I suppose I can understand companies wanting to cut down on the pirating of their games, but they should never punish their loyal, honest customers in the process. Anyone who thinks that gaming companies care more about gamers than their bottom line is living in a freakin' fairy land. 

Thebawwradar

Postby Thebawwradar » March 5th, 2010, 11:39 pm

Apparently SONY are feeling a bit diplomatic with their control of streamed data. They are planning to add built in playability shrinkage to demo's in order to keep people from being stuck on them.

Heh, it's not like anyone has cracked the software structure of a demo and turned it into a full game.... Not like that was ever possible in the first place.

m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » March 6th, 2010, 10:44 am

[QUOTE=Thebawwradar]Apparently SONY are feeling a bit diplomatic with their control of streamed data. They are planning to add built in playability shrinkage to demo's in order to keep people from being stuck on them.

Heh, it's not like anyone has cracked the software structure of a demo and turned it into a full game.... Not like that was ever possible in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Aaron, if I hadn't read about Sony's doings earlier, I'd literally have no idea what you are talking about here.  So let me rewrite this into something human readable:

"Sony has patented a process to limit the playability of demos over time.  This will prevent users from being able to play the portion of the game exposed by the demo without ultimately having to purchase the game."

Now is that what you meant?  And if so, what does that have to do with diplomacy on Sony's part?

andrew

Postby andrew » March 6th, 2010, 11:16 am

[QUOTE=m0zart]

[QUOTE=Thebawwradar]Apparently SONY are feeling a bit diplomatic with their control of streamed data. They are planning to add built in playability shrinkage to demo's in order to keep people from being stuck on them.

Heh, it's not like anyone has cracked the software structure of a demo and turned it into a full game.... Not like that was ever possible in the first place.[/QUOTE]

Aaron, if I hadn't read about Sony's doings earlier, I'd literally have no idea what you are talking about here.  So let me rewrite this into something human readable:

"Sony has patented a process to limit the playability of demos over time.  This will prevent users from being able to play the portion of the game exposed by the demo without ultimately having to purchase the game."

Now is that what you meant?  And if so, what does that have to do with diplomacy on Sony's part?
[/QUOTE]

Seems like a pretty pointless future feature. Why give the whole game it its going to erode after a few plays and be unplayable less than 10% into the game? Your better off just getting a demo especially to save on the download size. I suppose overall it's not such a big deal, though a waste of time and money. However, what if Sony uses this to charge you future fees to keep playing or if you sell the game force the buyer to buy a new key?

JasonhasRSI1

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » March 6th, 2010, 2:15 pm

[QUOTE=andrew][QUOTE=m0zart]

[/QUOTE]

Seems like a pretty pointless future feature. Why give the whole game it its going to erode after a few plays and be unplayable less than 10% into the game? Your better off just getting a demo especially to save on the download size. I suppose overall it's not such a big deal, though a waste of time and money. However, what if Sony uses this to charge you future fees to keep playing or if you sell the game force the buyer to buy a new key?
[/QUOTE]

I can't make heads or tails of any of these three posts. Can somebody people explain what, exactly, is Sony doing with demos?

Return to “Video Games General”