Sonic the Hedgehog 4 -- a return to 2D

General and high profile video game topics.
m0zart1

Postby m0zart1 » February 4th, 2010, 5:43 am

So Project Needlemouse came out from under cover today on Gamespot.  It was always known to be a 2D Sonic game, but specifics were not available.  It's now been titled as "Sonic the Hedgehog 4" and the name fits.  Rather than just being a non-specific return to 2D, it is actually a continuation of the original Sonic series for the Genesis, taking up after Sonic and Knuckles.

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/action/projectneedlemouse/news.html?sid=6249457&mode=news

It isn't just Mario that is making a console return to its 2D roots.  And for Sonic it's probably an even more critical move, given that Sonic hasn't seen the same 3D success that Mario did.

Nifty_Shark

Postby Nifty_Shark » February 4th, 2010, 6:03 am

I really hope this game is good. Still we have been burned so many times that I'll wait to hype myself until there is overwhelming general good buzz about Sonic 4.

steer

Postby steer » February 4th, 2010, 6:59 am

Oooops.

I made a topic on this on the 2005 to present era board. Maybe my post can be moved here?

In a nut shell I wonder why SEGA does not have the confidence to make this a retail game given the outrageous success of Mario 5. Seems like a marginalising move.

----------------------------------------

Sonic 4 will be a 2D game with 3D visuals for the Xbox 360, PlayStation 3, and Wii and will be distributed as a downloadable game upon its release this summer.

For wiiware, LIVE and PSN?

Is this bizarre, considering the outlandish success Mario 5 had and is having  at retail?

Game Spot: Is this where the Sonic franchise is moving, or can we still expect to see console and portable titles?

Sega's Ken Balough.: Sonic as a brand is definitely not moving away from our packaged console versions. Making Sonic the Hedgehog 4 Episode I for download is just a new way to offer a great Sonic experience through a different medium.

I think you really marginalize yourself when you make 2-d games download only. Imagine if Nintendo had been stupid enough to mkae Mario download only. Obviously I must be really stupid, because I cannot understand this.

GS: The subtitle is Episode 1. Does this mean it's episodic content?

KB: As mentioned, I think the best way to view it is as a first part in a much larger adventure. When Sega released Sonic 3, ultimately it was the part 1 of a story that saw its conclusion in Sonic & Knuckles. In that same spirit, Sonic the Hedgehog 4 is a bigger story, and this is that first chapter. I think it's also safe to say that by the end of the episode one, fans will be very excited to see what's in store for episode two!

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » February 4th, 2010, 8:21 am

im sure if there is success, the entire package will be sold as a retail disc on the wii (no way sony allows such a game to be published, microsoft maybe)

i am cautiously optimistic about this game. 

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » February 4th, 2010, 8:47 am

And the Critic finally takes the download game plunge here is my bet. 

That game looks like what Sega should have made for the Saturn, or Dreamcast, or Gamecube, or Xbox, or any period in time if they had not gone insane.  Nice to see some sanity has finally returned to them.

Roperious1

Postby Roperious1 » February 4th, 2010, 9:14 am

I'll do whatever I have to do in order to get my hands on a sweet 2D sonic game, talk about starving your fanbase!

steer

Postby steer » February 4th, 2010, 9:33 am

[QUOTE=chrisbid]im sure if there is success, the entire package will be sold as a retail disc on the wii (no way sony allows such a game to be published, microsoft maybe)

[/QUOTE]

I am not optimisitc abut a disc release on any system.

JustLikeHeaven1

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » February 4th, 2010, 9:58 am

I agree with Steer.  Why not make this a retail release?  I mean they seem to sell enough of the 3D games to make money, so wouldn't a return to the glory years send consumers into a buying frenzy? 

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy to see that SEGA has finally taking their heads out of their ass, but I still think they are mishandling this one.  Also having Episode 1 in the title doesn't make me very excited.  Are they planning on making these games REALLY bite sized?  Why can't it just be a straight 2D Sonic game with a full retail release and no BS attached with it?

I just can't see myself buying this.  Hopefully if the game is really successful they can eventually give us a retail release with Episodes 1 through X on it.  I would buy that. 

JasonhasRSI1

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » February 4th, 2010, 10:11 am

[QUOTE=chrisbid]im sure if there is success, the entire package will be sold as a retail disc on the wii (no way sony allows such a game to be published, microsoft maybe)

[/QUOTE]

What do you mean? Why wouldn't Sony "allow:" such a game to be published?

Anyway, I'm a little disappointed that this isn't coming out on disc, that they aren't using high-res sprites (a la Muramasa), and that it's in some weird "episodic" format. That said, it's great to see Sonic running to the right, again.

steer

Postby steer » February 4th, 2010, 12:32 pm

I agree with JLH's point about the popularity of Sonic.

I mean, people have wanted a 2-d game for along time and complained about the odd things and some of the poor things done in 3-d - but the brand is very, very popular and recognisable, despite that. It is hardly a forgotten franchise or a dead one. Far from.

The episodic content is also a concern, and unexplained,  notice how he ducked the question in the interview and the Gamespot guy did not bother with a follow up....thanks Gamespot!

"Uh, I will read my next question now...."

Return to “Video Games General”