Recent blog post by Ebert on video games as art

General and high profile video game topics.
Jake

Postby Jake » April 22nd, 2010, 1:12 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]

Look at how video game "directors" have attempted to turn games into their own movies.  Think Bayonetta or Metal Gear.  It's irritating!  If designers tried to make games as art, it would probably be unbearable.

I certainly think games can be artistic, and they might have a good story as well, but at their core, video games should be games.  Something you play to pass the time.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that all makes sense... though,
I don't bother to use the term "to pass time", as I never got the point of that saying, I don't wanna pass time away... I wanna fufill my time, and video games often do that. If I wanna pass time for what reason, I'll take a nap or go to sleep!

All in all,
Art must be like beauty, in the eye of the beholder.

There's no wrong or right, in what you see or hear... it all depends on what you like... and what insipres you. Don't listen to people who say you're wrong, for
liking what you do or how you play. They just jealous jk... lol.

Jake

Postby Jake » April 22nd, 2010, 1:46 pm

[QUOTE=Josh]Art is defined as something created by man that is beautiful - something that is aesthetically pleasing.

Video games posses three types of art: story, art, and music
If you think about it, all of the games that we love possess an abundance of these things - the Critic usually looks at these things in order to judge the grade of a game.

So, technically ol' Ebert is wrong.

However, I think most gamers like to flap their mouths about this topic because they want to defend their past time and be seen as artsy-fartsy people.

If you are insecure about your lifestyle, then change it. Don't try to pass yourself off as a connoisseur of the fine arts. Video games are for having fun. Good art in them makes them more fun and enjoyable.
[/QUOTE]

Very well put.

Though I don't care about ranking with artsy fartsy types... but
I do care if they think they "know it all", and by tossing/comparing video games with things like "OIL PAINTINGS" art, when it doesn't really fit there!

It's a bit unfair,
Why don't I just compare Horror films with Disney... and say Horror films cannot ever be decent like Cinderella? Well, they never "tried" to be Disney.

To each his own, were all just people afterall, who the hell are we trying to impress? Who is really impressed by people going around saying what IS or ISN'T in life? It's all overflowing opinions... that is what gets me annoyed. I like hearing others opinions, but when people become pushy or angry over it... it's a waste of time to answer them. "Other people"... well, better yet, impress yourself, and hope others agree or follow you. F__ debating. lol.

Don't get me wrong it's good to be educated and actually READ, but to knock around others because they aren't as artistic or smart, is really stupid in itself...!

Just watch "Big Bang Theory" the show, and you'll see what I mean lol...

Jake

Postby Jake » April 22nd, 2010, 2:03 pm

[QUOTE=steer]

In fact, look at all the terrible movies that are being made today with the gaming audience/culture as their targets.  If anything, the 'artisitic' portion of the game industry is dragging down the movie industry as they aim for the lowest common denominator audience game culture has helped create.

[/QUOTE]

That I agree with,
but movies have also been ruined by computers and over spending money $$.
Much more then by video game ideas. There's not enough video game type movies to effect the industry in my opinion. It's just a side project to real films, like a cartoon kids movie.

In the 80's Terminator was made for like 8 million total..Now by the year 2000 J-Lo got like 20 to 40 million all to herself, staring in a romantic comedy. Money sucks out ideas... less money means more things created by using the ole noggin'. Something that movies today are lacking...

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » April 23rd, 2010, 12:10 am

[QUOTE=Jake][QUOTE=snakeboy]

I just play video games to have fun. I don't give two craps if it's considered art or not.

[/QUOTE]

No kidding. Everyone on the post here can agree with that one.

But the topic is questioning Ebert's opinion or claim that video games are 'NOT' art,
It isn't asking if you care wether video games are an art or not.

Just sayin'.

[/QUOTE]

Gee, man, thanks for putting me in my place. I appreciate it.

Jake

Postby Jake » April 23rd, 2010, 10:04 pm

[QUOTE=snakeboy][QUOTE=Jake][QUOTE=snakeboy]

I just play video games to have fun. I don't give two craps if it's considered art or not.

[/QUOTE]

No kidding. Everyone on the post here can agree with that one.

But the topic is questioning Ebert's opinion or claim that video games are 'NOT' art,
It isn't asking if you care wether video games are an art or not.

Just sayin'.

[/QUOTE]

Gee, man, thanks for putting me in my place. I appreciate it.

[/QUOTE]

You're.... welcome?!

Sorry, just came across like a skip in the record. Agreed of course,
just don't want some here to think, gamers who consider video games art,
are high-brow arty wannabes. I think games are art in a "left field" kinda way.

I certainly have nostalgia over many games, and I been in awe of graphics, music and sounds of games in my time. Even stories in games, many came from Commodore 64 adventures, but still any video game must have some artistic value to it.

Alien for Commodore 64 is the must tense and scary game I ever played.

I was more scared playing Psycho (text adventure) on Commodore 64, then when I saw the 1960 movie!

That concentration room with the skeleton with an axe? walking across a carpet with a star in a circle. 

The attic top floor with human bones, and that creepy brown "thing" chasing you... if you take too long in finding the jewels.

Or, That person tied up in the furnace room, who u have to give heart medicine to, and if you take too long .... hes not breathing. and you're caught, right after.  

Or Or... that guy who comes outta the shower and stuns you if you don't leave the bathroom quick enough! Scared me when I was a kid.. came outta nowhere... and the game has no music during play, so u can imagine...

Gotta love 80's games...

scotland171

Postby scotland171 » April 5th, 2013, 10:02 am

Roger ebert passed away yesterday. I noticed one long topic in the 2011 forums about his video games are not art in principle is locked, maybe evidence of how he poked a hornets nest unintentionally. The forums also had a recent thread about the importance of storylines. If art can be the verb of being creative then video game creation would seem as much art as film making. Are not even venerable games like Life where you have a few simple rules about cells living dying or reproducing that form patterns over time art? Say what you will but he made us think about our hobby in a different way.

DoABarrelRoll1

Postby DoABarrelRoll1 » April 5th, 2013, 2:01 pm

Couldn't believe it when I heard it yesterday. Going to miss him and his reviews a lot, his reviews were the only movie reviews I ever read and he had a witty style of writing I enjoyed. I've never cared much about the video game art debate as long as I enjoy the game I don't care whether the game is considered art or not.

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » April 5th, 2013, 3:22 pm

Wow....this sucks. Ebert was possibly the greatest movie critic ever. Now that he's gone I don't know who I'm going to trust for movie reviews. RIP.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 5th, 2013, 3:58 pm

Roger Ebert was a legend and I respected his opinions... on movies.

When it comes to video games, not so much.  He may have been correct in his "video games are not art" statement, but he was definitely out of his element.

In the past I've occasionally offered commentary on things I'm not well versed in, and I end up looking like a horses' ass.  I try not to do that anymore.

Return to “Video Games General”