The 'new' EGM

General and high profile video game topics.
andrew

The 'new' EGM

Postby andrew » May 10th, 2010, 5:45 pm

EGM usually ignores Nintendo anyway even going back the psx/n64/dreamcast days to where one of the EGM mags I have had a whopping 1 n64 review while another only had three compared to usually 7-10 dreamcast and PSX reviews each.

Anonymous

The 'new' EGM

Postby Anonymous » May 10th, 2010, 6:50 pm

[QUOTE=Hardcore_Sadist][QUOTE=steer]Well if its the 'same old crap', blame 'the new EGM', not me, I simply gave a little overview of a classic mag brought back from death.

Did anyone read anything about sales number or 'Nintendo can do no wrong' in this thread? I certainly never read any of that. Perhaps comment on the topic on hand, and these boards will lose about half of their clutter.
[/QUOTE]

It is not worth posting because by now we know of change in the magazine, literally no aspect of it should be news or put up as an interesting topic, even remotely.

[/QUOTE]

^ This
I never claimed  your post had either of those. While I will agree that I have read that EGM magazine and that it really blows, the fact still stands that this is not really postworthy and you should try posting something else once in awhile(Not like you will). 

Luke

The 'new' EGM

Postby Luke » May 11th, 2010, 6:08 am

[QUOTE=steer]Well if its the 'same old crap', blame 'the new EGM', not me, I simply gave a little overview of a classic mag brought back from death. Did anyone read anything about sales number or 'Nintendo can do no wrong' in this thread? I certainly never read any of that. Perhaps comment on the topic on hand, and these boards will lose about half of their clutter. [/QUOTE]You're bashing a magazine simply because they have criticized your beloved Nintendo. What is there not to understand? Basically, every thread you create on this board is just another "I heart Nintendo, and so should you" thread in disguise.

Anonymous

The 'new' EGM

Postby Anonymous » May 11th, 2010, 10:24 am

[QUOTE=Luke][QUOTE=steer]Well if its the 'same old crap', blame 'the new EGM', not me, I simply gave a little overview of a classic mag brought back from death. Did anyone read anything about sales number or 'Nintendo can do no wrong' in this thread? I certainly never read any of that. Perhaps comment on the topic on hand, and these boards will lose about half of their clutter. [/QUOTE]You're bashing a magazine simply because they have criticized your beloved Nintendo. What is there not to understand? Basically, every thread you create on this board is just another "I heart Nintendo, and so should you" thread in disguise.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much although I highly doubt he will ever admit it.

Orion1

The 'new' EGM

Postby Orion1 » May 11th, 2010, 4:21 pm

I looked throught the new EGM and I couldn't find any reviews, the ones where multiple reviewers assign a grade or number.  Maybe I missed it, but I won't buy any of their new issues if that part is left out.

steer

The 'new' EGM

Postby steer » May 11th, 2010, 7:16 pm

Orion :

The multiple, brief reviews are gone. Some games have a 2nd opinion type review.. Replaced by longer one score/one reviewer reviews. Games like Monster Hunter - that are 'epic' get 'epic' reviews, multi page reviews. 'Smaller' Games, 'smaller' reviews...

Games reviewed : (2nd opinions in)

Red Steel 2 -  8.5, (7.5)
Street Fighter 4 - 8.0, (8.0)
Just Cause 2 - 6.5, (8.5)
Monster Hunter Tri - 8.5 (8.0)
Cave story - 8.5
Infinite Space - 7.5
Command and Conquer 4 - 5.0 (8.5)

I am guessing metacritic would use the 'big' score with the primary write up?

Then a section on favorite iphone games - no games, why grade them?

MappyMousePD

The 'new' EGM

Postby MappyMousePD » May 11th, 2010, 7:30 pm

I saw both EGM and Gamefan on the newsstand, which was oddly comforting, even though I'll probably never open either of them again.  You're right about the new EGM.  It's just bad.  They couldn't have picked more exhausted topics for the features.  If you're looking for a fresh perspective on gaming, EGM isn't it. 

Sudz1

The 'new' EGM

Postby Sudz1 » May 11th, 2010, 7:40 pm

I don't think I've found what I consider to be a GOOD video game magazine in years... I used to love the old "Electronic Fun with Computer and Games", "Game Players PC Strategy Guide", and especially "Computer Gaming World".  The magazines focused on the games, both current and upcoming, and were at least 50% reviews and write ups of games I wanted to know about.  Most video game magazines I see nowadays are 90% fluff articles about various conventions, interviews with publishers/designers, opinion pieces, "previews", set ups to get you to visit various internet pages, and other garbage.  Then you get to the final 10% of the mag and they FINALLY get around to writing about current games... and those reviews generally aren't very good.  They just don't give me what I want to read about.

Return to “Video Games General”