Guns in fighting games bad

General and high profile video game topics.
Greisha1

Postby Greisha1 » June 2nd, 2010, 8:44 pm

Speaking of guns (or arm cannons, as the case may be) ... Mega Man should be a playable character!

Guns in fighting games aren't necessarily bad, though. King of Fighters and "classic" Street Fighter games wouldn't feel right with them. But with a fighting game as ridiculous as Marvel Vs. Capcom, I don't mind. Any game with screen-sized fireballs could use a few guns.

ZetaX1

Postby ZetaX1 » June 2nd, 2010, 9:08 pm

Slight detour, but wasn't there a chick in "JoJo's Bizarre Adventure" (Dreamcast) that shot nipples from under her shirt?

I always thought they looked like nipples, anyways...maybe that's just me.

- Mark

Josh

Postby Josh » June 2nd, 2010, 9:11 pm

I always hated guns in a beat-em-up since I made it all the way to the end with no continues (there are none!) in the NES Double Dragon and got a cap popped in my @ss by the last boss - you know, that cheap s.o.b with a machine gun.

I bet the game turns out to be Tatsunoko vs. Capcom with a new coat of HD Marvel paint. The bullets will probably be like Mega Man's arm/hand shots.

A fun button-masher with not a whole lot of depth - carrying on the Marvel vs. Capcom legacy.

a1

Postby a1 » June 2nd, 2010, 9:58 pm

I'd rather have those characters in the game with guns than not have them at all. Besides, a couple characters in Marvel v Capcom 2 had guns and they were plenty of fun to play with and no better than the other characters. I see what you're saying, but it would be pretty boring to play as Chris Redfield and not have a gun. 

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » June 3rd, 2010, 9:18 pm

[QUOTE]Guns in fighting games aren't necessarily bad, though. King of Fighters and "classic" Street Fighter games wouldn't feel right with them.[/QUOTE]

Amusingly enough, I heard Clark, Ralf and Heidern were originally intended to have guns in King of Fighters 94, but the idea was dropped for precisely that reason - it's a fighting game, it wouldn't feel right/fair to have people shooting each other with guns in it.

0-Storm

Postby 0-Storm » June 7th, 2010, 7:02 pm

Guns are for sure stu..pid. I also think weapons are when no one else has one. I always thought it was stupid that Vega had a claw & no one else had a weapon. To make things even worse the claw did about the same damage or less as other fighters' punches. I mean if a guy has a claw then shouldn't he be ripping through flesh? Yoshimitzu- you suck.

oldschoolgamer

Postby oldschoolgamer » June 7th, 2010, 8:01 pm

If you want to start arguing on that point, you have to ask yourself, isn't it stupid for people to be able to throw fireballs, and shouldn't they do a lot more damage when they hit?  Its a video game, its alright to have a little suspension of disbelief here.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » June 8th, 2010, 5:24 pm

These Marvel Fighting games have always been over the top.
Look at the size of Iron Man's proton cannon! Guns aren't a problem here,
they certainly don't belong in a game like Street Fighter 2, but are definitely
part of games like Marvel vs Capcom.

On another note, Chris Redfield is gonna fight the likes of Hulk, Spiderman,
and other superpowered fighters, he needs all the firepower he can get, he's
only human! Not that it will make too much sense anyway, Hulk is supposed to
be impervious to bullets, Spiderman would dodge them, and any of these guys could stomp him without even trying!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » June 8th, 2010, 5:58 pm

[QUOTE=Oltobaz]These Marvel Fighting games have always been over the top.
Look at the size of Iron Man's proton cannon! Guns aren't a problem here,
they certainly don't belong in a game like Street Fighter 2, but are definitely
part of games like Marvel vs Capcom.

[/QUOTE]

The difference is, Iron Man's cannon was a special move you could only execute on a very limited basis.  If a human character is armed with a normal gun, why would they do anything but sit back and fire continuously?

JasonhasRSI1

Postby JasonhasRSI1 » June 8th, 2010, 9:44 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]
[/QUOTE]

The difference is, Iron Man's cannon was a special move you could only execute on a very limited basis.  If a human character is armed with a normal gun, why would they do anything but sit back and fire continuously?

[/QUOTE]

I'm confused as to why this thread was started. Where have you read that this guns would be so imbalanced? How do you know that using a gun won't be a 'special move'? I haven't seen that in any MvC 3 coverage.

As everyone here has pointed out, there have always been characters in MvC games that use guns, and never has a character been able to 'sit back and fire continuously.' What makes you think they'll start now?

Return to “Video Games General”