Kinect or Move: Which will be the bigger bust?

General and high profile video game topics.
cory

Postby cory » August 27th, 2010, 8:34 pm

Reminds me of the 32X and Sega CD. I imagine they will end up right with them on the ash-heap of gaming history.

Hardcore_Sadism1

Postby Hardcore_Sadism1 » August 27th, 2010, 9:43 pm

I do not mean to sound like a "monk" or anything, but let's be careful on how we view the potential failures of gaming peripherals. Sega's loss cost them their hardware development, remember?

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » August 28th, 2010, 12:08 am

I don't think comparing Sega's 10-year mismanagement of the Sega CD, 32x, Saturn, and Dreamcast can be compared to the development and release of two new "controllers."  Now, if Sony bombed in their releases of the PS4, the PS5, and the PS6, then you would have a comparable situation.

Sony and Microsoft are giants, and they have enough resources to cover themselves if these products fail. 

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » August 28th, 2010, 7:33 am

Wasn't the Sega CD just 50 dollars more than Kinect?

cory

Postby cory » August 28th, 2010, 2:40 pm

I'm not comparing Sega's Saturn and Dreamcast fiasco with these peripherals. I am saying that I think 32X and Sega CD are somewhat similar, in that they were expensive add-ons that didn't add enough to the experience to justify the cost and ended up as financial failures. Also, it is true that MS and Sony haven't turned a profit in their gaming divisions for a while now, much like Sega in its final hardware years. Since MS and Sony are bigger and stronger financially than Sega was I'm sure they'll have to lose far more to actually end up like Sega did, but there are some parallels.

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » August 28th, 2010, 3:27 pm

[QUOTE=cory]I'm not comparing Sega's Saturn and Dreamcast fiasco with these peripherals. I am saying that I think 32X and Sega CD are somewhat similar, in that they were expensive add-ons that didn't add enough to the experience to justify the cost and ended up as financial failures. Also, it is true that MS and Sony haven't turned a profit in their gaming divisions for a while now, much like Sega in its final hardware years. Since MS and Sony are bigger and stronger financially than Sega was I'm sure they'll have to lose far more to actually end up like Sega did, but there are some parallels.
[/QUOTE]
I see the similarities. They are very similar and I feel that the products will travel along a similar trajectory. Whether or not the companies suffer we shall see over the course of the next decades.

Newk

Postby Newk » August 29th, 2010, 3:13 am

**Disclaimer**  I have not read the whole thread  **\Disclaimer**

Dave...well, remember what happened when you plugged in the new Scene It controller into your 360?  It was just another controller being plugged into the USB port and you got the dreaded RROD!  How do you think the old 360's are going to work with Kinect?  I don't have a whole lot of faith in the MS hardware.  You, the consumer, will have to buy one of the new 360 models...along with the new Kinect bar...Joy!  This is the beta test of the technology, and the next MS living room/gaming device will have a "better" version and it will come with the console...or at least one of the many versions of the console.

I do think that Sony's product will do better.  Price point will play a major factor in both.  A Wii is proven technology and is cheaper.  The whole motion craze has passed us by.  Some of Nintendo's most successful games have subtle motion controls.  As someone else pointed out before, the Move is kinda like Sony porting the Wii stuff and using better graphics to present it.  Plus Sony's controller is a little goofy looking.  The big N nailed it with their controller.  I just hope they keep the backwards compatibility, but I digress.

I think it's too little too late for both Sony and MS.  The companies have to show some growth for their shareholders and Wall $treet.

Kinect = Epic Fail (E)
Move = Meh (C)

Newk

steer

Postby steer » October 19th, 2010, 8:23 am

Hey Critic I just wondered if you had gained any interest in MOVE or KINECT and if you were planning to pick them up. But maybe you have plenty on your plate without them, or you want to wait and see how they go, etc.

T-minus 2 weeks and counting here comes the BLITZ! :

Microsoft has allegedly invested around $500 million to market Kinect, due to launch in the US on November 4 and the UK and Europe on November 10, according to the New York Post.

Speaking to the Post, Xbox's general manager of global marketing communications, Robert Matthews, described Microsoft's Kinect strategy as the “largest, most integrated marketing initiative in Xbox history, bigger than its launch."

Kinect Adventures 
Kinectimals 
Your Shape: Fitness Evolved 
Dance Central 
The Biggest Loser Ultimate Workout 
DanceMasters 
Kinect Sports 
MotionSports 
Kinect Joy Ride 
Adrenalin Misfits 
Fighters Uncaged
Sonic Free Riders

500 mil, eh? If this were 1992, someone would say that 'M$ writes checks Sony can't cash!'

steer

Postby steer » October 20th, 2010, 10:37 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dIi8oxaEAR0

Don't look now, but half a billion gets you some Oprah time! (Oprah and Bill are buds, remember)

Is that my mom in the audience?!? - she sure is excited, its almost like giving away free cars or something!

The people in this thread who are predicting absolute, immediate bust for Kinect should have more faith in M-soft than that....

Remember when Oprah vowed never to eat another hamburger cause of mad cow and devestated the beef industry? This Lady has power!

chrisbid1

Postby chrisbid1 » October 20th, 2010, 2:07 pm

alright, lets get something straight... the sega cd was not the epic failure people on this thread claim it to be.  it was not a runaway success, but it wasnt marked down 75% within six months of its launch either.  any video game platform with well over 100 titles, 3+ years on the market, and more than 2 hardware revisions is not a failure. 

in relation to this thread, sony and ms both hope and pray their products "fail" like the sega cd did.

Return to “Video Games General”