Metroid: Other Game Please

General and high profile video game topics.
Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » September 16th, 2010, 5:13 am

I'm kind of stupid when it comes to video games, and today was no different. I have never been a huge Metroid fan... although I liked the original one. Regardless, I purchased Metroid Other M cause it looked cool and I wanted another unique adventure on Wii. Since I liked Red Steel 2, Sin and Punishment, Super Mario Galaxy 2 and a Boy and his Blob so well, I felt like I was on a roll and could take a $50 chance. What I got was a bad CGI movie and a game that is "crap-voluted" - a word I just made up...

The controls were OK until the first boss fight, then I felt like I was trapped in an amateur viral video where someone was running while filming. The "holding the controller to determine which style of play we are using" was okay through the platform levels, but in a hectic boss fight, its horrible. The game is so dark, I had to turn my Brightness on the TV way high, and I hate the first person perspective "explore" parts of the game... looking around in a video game is never fun. If there is something I am supposed to find, just CGI me over there since you love the dam CGI so much. Activating terminals is frustrating. I hate CGI breaks during boss fights.  Reloading missiles requires u to hold the Wii remote vertically and hold down A. This takes way to long (like zooming in explore mode... you sit there literally for 5-6 seconds wondering if what you are doing is working.) Also, the 2D type run and gun stuff is not fun. The game auto shoots for you for the most part. And also, Samus is way too girly. This isn't a beach volleyball game, I want my heroes butch. 

I'm going to keep trying to play this to see if it gets good... its not all bad, there are some good production values, but Metroid Other M has already left a bad taste in my mouth, so its looking bleak. 

I hope Goldeneye, Kirby and Epic Mickey leave better first impressions than this one. 

steer

Postby steer » September 16th, 2010, 7:50 am

Heh, this game has ripped the Metroid fanbase in half - seems like in summary someone from Japan wanted to 'out-Hideki' Kojima from Metal Gear.

Malstrom has been having cats about this game - (warning lots of gas)  http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/ he seems more upset about the presentation of his precious Samus than anything. He even suggests 'bombs' like this (and it is hardly going to be a bomb compared to other Metroid games) could cost Iwata his job - lulz.

But then Malstrom has a massive ego and puts his selective business theory above all else - why he once predicted Ninendo would 'dump' Zelda Skyward before it was ready cause it was not blue ocean enough - yeah I may not love all things 'new Zelda' but I have a little more common sense than that...

http://seanmalstrom.wordpress.com/2010/01/06/nintendo-cuts-its-losses-on-zelda-wii/

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » September 16th, 2010, 7:24 pm

I would advise you to keep playing. I felt the same way the first time I played it, but now I like it a lot. Yeah, the story aspects of it are kind of lame, but the cut-scenes and all aren't as bad once you get by the beginning--Not great, but much more palatable.

Josh

Postby Josh » September 16th, 2010, 9:13 pm

Same as snakeboy said. The beginning is a lot of emo blah, blah, blah. However, as someone who saved up their 7 dollars a week job money and get the original Metroid off of layaway at KMart, I kind of enjoyed seeing a little backstory to the character. I wish they had portrayed as more like Mel Gibson in Mad Max (more storytelling through facial expressions and social interraction) but it's alright.

I thought it was very linear at first but it gets to feel very much like a traditional Metroid game as it progresses. In fact, I am stuck in an area right now and don't know what to do. I got to the area in which you hit all the targets, the water starts pumpling, and the islands go up and down. But I'm committed to not using a guide.

Chaser1

Postby Chaser1 » September 17th, 2010, 10:41 am

That's the only part that's stumped me so far. I broke down and looked it up and I'm glad I did, it would've taken me forever to figure out.

As far as the game in general...yeah, I don't like the cutscenes and could care less about the story, but that's not why I play. The game itself is fantastic and reminds me of a futuristic version of that Rygar game on PS2. So far I'm loving it.

Pixelcade1

Postby Pixelcade1 » September 18th, 2010, 8:41 pm

Oh guys guys guys.. My b-day is coming up next month and this was the only modern video game I wanted besides a list a mile long of older games. I saw the intro movie and had goosebumps. The final cry of the Metroid brought me back to Super Metroid just before frying Mother Brain... would I do best to just borrow/rent this one?

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » September 18th, 2010, 8:58 pm

Game Informer gave the game a 6.25 and made a very convincing/compelling case for the game being lame. I wouldn't buy this game for full price Pixelcade.

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » September 18th, 2010, 9:37 pm

[QUOTE=Zenzerotron]Game Informer gave the game a 6.25 and made a very convincing/compelling case for the game being lame. I wouldn't buy this game for full price Pixelcade.
[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't listen to Game Informer. A 6 is way too low for this game. I've found it to be very addictive.

Orion1

Postby Orion1 » September 18th, 2010, 10:31 pm

I think the problem is that we hold Metroid games to a higher standand than other games.  Every single Metroid game up till now has been spectacular.  Other M is probably a better than average video game, but when put next to the provious offerings, it probably falls short a little bit.  It also feels a little out of place, like it doesn't belong in the Metroid universe, storyline wise.

Josh

Postby Josh » September 18th, 2010, 11:44 pm

@ Pixlecade,

If you get the itch (and the money!) to buy a new game, get this one. I know your tastes and I think you will like it. I really didn't mind the cutscenes because I rarely play games with them. But once you get into it, it feels a whole lot like a real Metroid game.

I don't like the Prime games so this one was right up my alley. What I like about it is that the battles are pretty intense - you'll probably die quite a bit.

To me, it's actually cool to have all the other characters of the Metroid universe in it. Also, it's kind of linear without being too linear (so far - I've not finished it). If you've only got a small amount of time to play games then this is a great one because it limits the running around trying to figure stuff out to a set area and it actually reminds you of where the story is when you restart a continue.

Return to “Video Games General”