I love Midway Treasures!!!

General and high profile video game topics.
Koopa W.

Postby Koopa W. » May 12th, 2006, 7:17 pm

I picked this baby upfor my PS2 yesterday, and I LOVE it! (Thanks, Zen, for the suggestion!) I have only played a few so far, but my summary of the ones I have is like this:

Great games:

Bubbles (best I've played so far)

Rampart (Funkmaster, why do you think this port sucks?)

Good games:

Defender (I'm about to try the 2nd one.)

Average games:

Blaster (I may eventually love this one.)

Bad games:

none

Awful games:

720 (This makes the crappy T.H.U.G. 2 look like RE4 it is so bad!)

Putrefying games:

Joust (People actually like this turd?)

I also bought 3 other games yesterday (it was an academic related school field trip to a roller skating rink and the mall):

BackTrack (a surprisingly fun game for the GBA that is almost a clone of the original Doom)

Mobile Light Force 2

Pikmin

I haven't played the latter 2 yet. Note that I said "yet".

Sorry for taking too long,

Matt

PS Is MT2 good? I might get it soon if it is.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » May 12th, 2006, 7:23 pm

You dare bad-mouth JOUST??  That's heresy in these parts!

I think you really need to try the two-player simulatenous mode before passing judgement on that one.

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » May 12th, 2006, 7:27 pm

Rampart is in my top ten favorite games of all time, and since this is a direct port, I feel like the controls were too haywire to be fun. The original used a trackball, so this version just "felt" terrible since you had to use the control pad. If this is the first time you played it, the controls probably didn't drive you bonkers like it did me.

Funk

Koopa W.

Postby Koopa W. » May 12th, 2006, 7:44 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]You dare bad-mouth JOUST??  That's heresy in these parts!

I think you really need to try the two-player simulatenous mode before passing judgement on that one.
[/QUOTE]

OK, I will wait to curse Joust until I have my best friend, Levan, over to try multiplayer. Also, Defenter 2 is in my good category. Gauntlet falls under my excellent list, and it is giving Bubbles some competition for my favorite game on the disc. However, I've yet to play my top 4 most anticipated games, Rampage, Smash TV, Spy Hunter, and Robotron 2084. I recently picked up Robotron X for PS1, and I love it!

Thanks, Dave,

Matt

Dennis

Postby Dennis » May 12th, 2006, 8:42 pm

Sorry, I have to agree:  Joust stinks.  Yes, I've played (or been forced to play) many hours of the multiplayer version.

On that Midway Classics disc, the most popular games (Joust, Defender, Robotron) are the ones I don't really like.  To me, the best games on there are Marble Madness, Tapper, Paperboy, Smash TV and Klax. 

John Rowland

Postby John Rowland » May 12th, 2006, 9:20 pm

[QUOTE=Koopa W.]However, I've yet to play my top 4 most anticipated games, Rampage, Smash TV, Spy Hunter, and Robotron 2084.[/QUOTE]

I bought that compilation just for Smash TV.  It's pure inane blast-'em up bliss.  Try playing it with a friend while downing a 1 lb. bag of Starbursts in one sitting.  Pleasure overload!  (well when I was 10 that was my idea of a good time).

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » May 12th, 2006, 9:24 pm

[QUOTE=Dennis]

Sorry, I have to agree:  Joust stinks. 

[/QUOTE]
*Gasp of shock*
*slaps Dennis with glove* I challange you sir to ostriches at dawn. 

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » May 12th, 2006, 9:24 pm

I never played that compilation, did the do a major dumb down of defenders controls like all the others? 

Adamant1

Postby Adamant1 » May 12th, 2006, 9:34 pm

Oh yeah, Smash TV and Robotron are both awesome awesome game, and Spy Hunter is pretty good as well.

Rampage, however... ew.

Zenzerotron

Postby Zenzerotron » May 13th, 2006, 1:37 am

Let me warn you Koopa, while the first Midway Treasures is jam-packed with greatness, it was all downhill from there. #2 only has a handfull of good games, it's only worth picking up if you're a Mortal Kombat and Primal Rage fan. #3 was "scraping the bottom of the barrel". It only features EIGHT games, and they are all racing games. It's ONLY good game is Hydro Thunder.

If you want another compliation with a high quality margin of games like the first Midway Arcade Treasures, let me recommend Taito Legends as your next purchase.

Your anti-Joust comment displeases Zen greatly

If there's a better game featuring dueling knights riding ostridges, let us know

And thus you see my point, Joust is a completely orginal game. Truely orginal video games are a very rare thing. When a totally orginal game is FUN, it's sacred thing.

Return to “Video Games General”