Wishlist...

General and high profile video game topics.
scotland171

Wishlist...

Postby scotland171 » April 20th, 2013, 11:46 am

Well, LoganRuckman, you may have lost AlienBlue, but you gained a Segatarious, it seems.

Neat to look back on this old thread.  In the years since, there are several relatively inexpensive handhelds where you can plug your actual NES/Genesis/SNES cartridge in and play what you own, or ones with preloaded games and an SD card slot in them and play those ROMS that mysterious ended up on that SD car. You can also get yourself a Dingoo with Dingux and other direct-from-China handhelds with all sorts of emulation options, some with nice 4" and bigger brightly backlit LCD screens and rechargeable batteries and nice controls. Just don't drop them.  All of that on top of emulation on a smart phone or tablet emulation, which I find less interesting other than the fact that they are close at hand so much more often.  A bluetooth controller is useful, but hardly a replacement for a good handheld.

As far as classic systems, I am oddly looking forward to the upcoming emerson arcadia 2001 reviews, as a system I don't own and likely never will. Why does that also-ran interest me, I don't know.  Anyone else with an odd fascination for a less-than-successful console?   I was tempted by a Vectrex the other week on ebay with 14 games, as another less-than-successful classic system I don't own but I would love to have a few hours of gametime in just to experience.

Danvankleef1

Wishlist...

Postby Danvankleef1 » April 21st, 2013, 12:10 pm

I'm sure most of you have seen the Hyperkin Supaboy, which is not only a portable that plays snes cartridges, but can also act as a console w ports for snes controllers. I have one and love being able to play Super Mario Kart on the go.

As far as my own wish list, not the greatest game, but Spider-man: Web Of Fire would complete my 32x collection. As far as consoles go, the only one I would love to add to my collection would be a Neo Geo, but financially probably not going to head down that path any time soon...

Rev1

Wishlist...

Postby Rev1 » April 21st, 2013, 9:48 pm

Yeah I would say a Neo Geo is pretty much on my wishlist but will likely never happen. It's such a cool console but the fact that the games go for several hundred dollars (US versions) plus the fact that the console is nearly $300-400 as well is a bummer. Maybe if I strike it rich someday.

nesfan1

Wishlist...

Postby nesfan1 » April 22nd, 2013, 12:43 am

I recently got Rosetta Stone and I'm also looking at some online sources to help me learn Japanese because I really want a Famicom and a Super Famicom. I want to play games like Mother, Sailor Moon: Another Story, and all of the Fire Emblem and Dragon Quest games that never made it to the states.

scotland171

Wishlist...

Postby scotland171 » April 22nd, 2013, 6:56 pm

You have the most apt handle of all, NESfan...getting a famicom or superfamicom is not that expensive, or another system that can play them (Maybe the Retron 3?) but take the time to learn enough Japanese to make playing those games a pleasant experience...wow.   There are some games from Australia I might like to play...wonder if I can learn Australian...

Rev1

Wishlist...

Postby Rev1 » April 22nd, 2013, 9:46 pm

For import games I tend to think it's just easier either buying a repo cart (a lot of the big 16 bit and earlier games have been translated by fans) or downloading the ROM. It's definitely easier although you lose the feeling of playing the game on it's original console (well unless you get a repo cart).

nesfan1

Wishlist...

Postby nesfan1 » April 23rd, 2013, 4:12 am

I've checked around and the consoles themselves aren't much more expensive than their American counterparts. But the international shipping from Japan is quite a doozy. I've seen a few Super Famicom consoles go for around $60 with $90 for shipping. On Ebay, at least. I don't remember what they go for on Amazon. And sure, I could download some ROMs and in fact I have. But I just can't get into games when I'm playing them on a computer. It only feels right to me when I play on a console. I typically play a ROM for about an hour or so and I won't touch it again until many months later. And yeah, repro carts are an option but I'm one of those people who just has to have original hardware and all that jazz. Also the Japanese cartridge of Mother 2 goes for around 20-30 bucks. Compare that to Earthbound. But I would like to play the Japanese versions anyway. The main reason for that is that I am going to be learning Japanese, regardless. I have other motives for learning it aside from video games, like reading manga that never got translated and I would very much like to go to Japan one day. 
Also, lately I've been wondering about the possibility that maybe playing some text-heavy Japanese RPGs might be a helpful tool in learning Japanese. I don't know. I might make a separate thread for this topic. 

LoganRuckman1

Wishlist...

Postby LoganRuckman1 » April 23rd, 2013, 12:15 pm

Actually, nesfan, you can save a lot of money by modding your SNES to play Super Famicom games. Trust me, it's way easier than it sounds. Literally anyone can do it. I mean literally anyone. Here's a video that shows you how to do it:
[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKK1fpM37V8[/video]

Teddybear1

Wishlist...

Postby Teddybear1 » April 23rd, 2013, 6:10 pm

[QUOTE=Leo Ames]

I'd really like Bounty Bob Strikes Back for the Atari 5200, Battlesphere Gold for the Atari Jaguar, and Konami Arcade Classics for the PSX.

[/QUOTE]

I'd really like Bounty Bob Strikes Back for the 5200 or C-64 too.  I have never seen a 5200 cart on E-bay.  If I ahem.....cough cough cough mailed a blank 5.25" diskette and a $20.00 bill could someone make me a copy with their 1541?

Hasn't the statue of limitations expired on such an act (unlawful disk duplication)?

Surely I jest,

T-Bear

Return to “Video Games General”