Whats the biggest hyped game that never saw a release?

General and high profile video game topics.
steer

Postby steer » February 25th, 2011, 8:04 am

I was thinking about this the other day - some companies hold their cards tight to their chest, some are boastful and hype, hype, hype. But probably every major developer has had a huge, hyped game that never saw a release - so which was the biggest in gaming history?

This is a good place to ask this, I know. I do not have the background of a lot of people here - but - in myl imited time, the game would have to be Milo and Kate.

Milo and Kate headlined E-3 for two straight years - the tech was incredible. A true virtual boy, Milo could read your emotions, Milo could have a REAL conversation with you, Milo would tell you how he felt, Milo would play with you, Milo would throw you things to you, Milo would respond to picture you drew - in the real world and showed to the camera. Milo was demoed live for people at E-3, but unfortunately real people were filling out the A.I.

Milo was the brainchild of Peter Molyneaux, and he hyped the crap out of Milo and the 'real, existing tech'.  But last fall just before the launch of Kinect, Milo's flagship platform, Milo's game was canned.

What is your pick?

oldschoolgamer

Postby oldschoolgamer » February 25th, 2011, 2:22 pm

Sonic Mars.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » February 25th, 2011, 2:30 pm

It didn't get that much hype, but, one of my biggest personnal
disappointments would have to be on PSONE. There was supposed
to be an Elric the Necromancer game (one of the best heroic fantasy book series of all time, and also a popular RPG, up there with Dungeons and Dragons and Warhammer, as far as I'm concerned). But then, something happened, and the game got cancelled. Well, not exactly. It became... Legacy of
Kain! Now, that's a fine game and all, and, interestingly, Kain does look similar to Elric. I guess there must have been a copyright issue... Oh well! Too bad!

ajsmart1

Postby ajsmart1 » February 25th, 2011, 3:41 pm

Duke Nukem Forever?

It's been in development since 1997, now on its forth publisher.  Is it really getting a release in May???

Pixelcade1

Postby Pixelcade1 » February 25th, 2011, 4:15 pm

Duke Nukem whatever the new one that's finally coming out so I guess it my not count

Then Starcraft Ghost.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » February 25th, 2011, 5:12 pm

Here are a few more memorable ones.

DC
Propeller Arena and Half-Life

9/11 killed Propeller Arena.  It didn't help that it's box cover had a plane crashing into a skyscraper

Half-Life was DOA after Sega canned the DC.  I really was looking forward to playing this one.  I event sent an email to Sierra at the time asking if they could do a special of the run.  I got back a very nice, thank you, but no way in hell are we doing that response.

GC, Xbox, PS2

Starcraft: Ghost - this game was playable at E3 for years.  They even had a LAN 4 on 4 multiplayer running at one of the shows.  Sadly, after several development studios it died a quiet death.

PS1

Thrill Kill - Think Mortal Kombat for child molesters and you have this game.  Go figure it got canned before release.

SNES
Star Fox 2 - I guess not everything can be up to par at the Big N.  It's available in ROM form across the net to try.  It's essentially a free roaming Star Fox.

PC
Warcraft Adventures - It was an old school point & click adventure.  Blizzard killed it before release due to a) no one buys point & click adventure games anymore or b) they just liked to tease their fanbase.

bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » February 25th, 2011, 5:24 pm

[QUOTE=ActRaiser]9/11 killed Propeller Arena.  It didn't help that it's box cover had a plane crashing into a skyscraper
[/QUOTE]

That was just a copout made by Sega.  I have the game and only one of the levels features skyscrapers, all the others are the likes of lava flows, islands, open airfields and so on with no structures to crash into.  Sega could have easily stripped out that one level and redone the cover art and released the product as is.  The real reason was that the DC was dead, software prices were through the toilet and they didn't think they'd make back the cost of releasing it.

An earlier poster mentioned Sonic Mars, was that Sonic Xtreme?  Xtreme certainly gets my vote, years and years went by with the promise of a proper Sonic game for the Saturn and then nothing, felt like a real betrayal to the Sega faithfull.  Also have to concur with PixelCade on Starcraft Ghost, ridiculous hype for years and years then nothing.

Really looking forward to DNF when it hits this year though .  You can even get a talking Duke keyring!

Michael Prymula

Postby Michael Prymula » February 25th, 2011, 6:46 pm

Command and Conquer:Tiberium, that actually looked like a pretty interesting change of pace for the series, and most recently was True Crime:Hong Kong, that looked amazing and it was nearly complete before those dumbasses at Activision decided to pull the plug, hopefully another devloper will buy the rights and finish the game.

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » February 25th, 2011, 10:26 pm

Sonic Xtreme for the Saturn. Back when Sega cared about Sonic!

Luke

Postby Luke » February 26th, 2011, 12:18 am

On a whole scale, Duke Nukem Forever.

But for me personally, it's Killer Instinct on the Nintendo 64. I mean, they released the game in arcades with tons of promotional ads in the game from Nintendo that clearly stated that it was coming home to the "Ultra 64." But when Nintendo later changed the system name to the "Nintendo 64," for some reason KI was dropped as a launch title and never came out. Probably because KI couldn't actual be done on the home hardware? I dunno. I know the sequel - Killer Instinct 2 - later came to the 64 in the form of Killer Instinct Gold, but I wasn't big on that game - I wanted the original that I felt I was promised.

I think this is actually where some of my hatred for Nintendo first started - over the lackluster library on the N64, and the fact that KI1 never saw a release on it. They instead put it on the Super Nintendo, which in all fairness was a decent port.. but not nearly as great as the N64 could have or should have been. *Pounds fist on table* It should have been the launch title!!!

Return to “Video Games General”