Favourite Early 80's Arcade Game?

General and high profile video game topics.
Mike Kuh

Postby Mike Kuh » February 27th, 2011, 8:40 pm

I just want to know, what is everyone's favourite early arcade game? My personal favourite is Q*bert, but I also like Congo Bongo and MAPPY a lot.

Whats your favourite early 80's arcade game? Please let me know

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 27th, 2011, 8:59 pm

I have a lot of favorites, but Missile Command probably made the strongest impression on me.  There was guy at the bowling alley who was a real ace and would regularly draw a crowd.

Mike Kuh

Postby Mike Kuh » February 27th, 2011, 9:02 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]I have a lot of favorites, but Missile Command probably made the strongest impression on me.  There was guy at the bowling alley who was a real ace and would regularly draw a crowd.
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, Missle Command was quite a thrill to play. The only problem with it was my palms would begin to feel raw after an hour or so of play

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » February 27th, 2011, 9:20 pm

I personally loved Galaxian the most. I spent lots of quarters on it. (I'm 17, but I've seen it in bars and restaurants a lot these days

Burk1

Postby Burk1 » February 27th, 2011, 9:22 pm

For sure it was Joust. I am sure it has something to do with the fact that it was one of two games at my local convenience store.Me and my brother and every kid on my block would go up on saturdays and play forever. Being a 2 player game was huge at that time,and the fact that you could kill each other caused a lot of arguments,because we tried not to,but...

gleebergloben1

Postby gleebergloben1 » February 27th, 2011, 10:34 pm

I have a tough time stopping at 20, but i will give my top ten in no particular order:

food fight
tempest
make trax
discs of tron
bagman
dragon's lair
mario bros.
arabian
sinistar
crystal castles

said it before, and i'll say it again....will some day get to the massive classic arcade funspot in new hampshire and be in nirvana.

bengalhoel1

Postby bengalhoel1 » February 28th, 2011, 4:07 am

The gas station down the street from me had a Moon Patrol Arcade game. I used to find any excuse to go there and drop a quarter in that sucker. I couldnt make it very far, but I didnt care. It was just me and that cabinet in pure 1980's bliss.

It was weird that every place in the city seemed to have Arcade machines then. Now you dont see them anywhere. Well except maybe a seedy laundry-mat with a Mrs. Pac Man every once in awhile.

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » February 28th, 2011, 7:54 am

Donkey Kong, Robotron 2084, Ms. Pac-man, and Galaga.

Lucy Sun

Postby Lucy Sun » February 28th, 2011, 10:41 am

[QUOTE=bengalhoel]Well except maybe a seedy laundry-mat with a Mrs. Pac Man every once in awhile.
[/QUOTE]

People still use those?

Alienblue

Postby Alienblue » February 28th, 2011, 12:34 pm

My three top favorite coin-ops in 1982 were SPACE DUEL, KICKMAN, and POPEYE. I found Asteroids too difficult, SPACE DUEL was both easier and had so much more to it. KICKMAN was so different, I'm still amazed that this first actual "sequal" to pac-man (you had to catch Pac man and monsters) never made it. I held the high score in my arcade as long as they had the game.

POPEYE.......I always loved Popeye, and in 1982 this game was FREAKING AWESOME.......the graphics were better than most cartoons of the time! I was the first player at the arcade to beat all three screens, and got to the 9th screen before I lost.......that was my longest gaming streak, almost an hour of play.

Also loved CENTIPEDE, MR.DO! and in the mid eighties GAUNTLET was so important to me that I would walk down to THE PUFFIN STOP coneiniance store in winter at 6 am to play the machine. I was in heaven when it was announced for the NES.......see, thats what I miss, waiting for arcade games to come home.

The eighties were my era, my teenage years. And games helped distract me from troubles......both my parents died leaving me alone at 16, then I lost 65% of my hearing to a firecracker. Had it not been for games, both home and coin-op, I never would have made it.

Return to “Video Games General”