Greatest Golf Games

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Greatest Golf Games

Postby VideoGameCritic » February 26th, 2012, 4:06 pm

I'm partial to Hot Shots game for the PS3.  Easy to play, fast moving, and a lot of eye candy.

I used to love EA's PGA Golf series until it changed to Tiger Woods golf.  EA fell in love with the wonky analog swing control and never bothered to do much with the graphics.

I should really go back and re-review the PGA Golf games for the Genesis.  Those games were a lot of fun back in the day.  I just wonder if their flat courses might not have aged well.

0-Storm

Greatest Golf Games

Postby 0-Storm » March 3rd, 2012, 5:38 pm

I have Tiger Woods 07 on the 360. I've been wanting to upgrade. I have 10 on the Wii & PS2 so I wanted 11 or 12.

I want to use a 3-click swing. Sorry, but the analog swing is way too ez & it isn't as rewarding. A perfect shot with the 3-click....... you see it, you know it. A perfect swing with the analog swing....... just another shot ho-hum.

After watching youtube for Tiger Woods 11 the 3-click swing looks like it was designed for 3-year olds. I saw a video where the player missed the final click (accuracy zone) completely. His shot was just barely off the fairway. Why bother even trying?

I don't want Power Golf (Turbo Grafyx 16) hard, but Hot Shots Golf difficult would be nice. I really love the Hot Shots series, but would really like a career mode & use golfers that look realistic & not silly cartoons.  

The 3-click on TW 10 PS2 is not much better. I can miss-hit pretty badly & still make the edge of the fairway.

porypowerhour

Greatest Golf Games

Postby porypowerhour » March 3rd, 2012, 9:59 pm

Neo Turf Masters (NGPC)
Mario Golf: Toadstool Tour (GCN)
Hot Shots Golf series (Sony systems)
Golf (NES)

Silver_Fox1

Greatest Golf Games

Postby Silver_Fox1 » March 13th, 2012, 3:10 am

Zany Golf! on Genesis. I remember renting this game from the local video rental joint(ah memories). Weird miniature golf game, but was quite fun. I think it was from the same dude who made Immortal(I HATE YOU).

Irenicus1

Greatest Golf Games

Postby Irenicus1 » April 3rd, 2012, 3:25 pm

Been playing Tiger Woods 99 on the (PS1). Not sure, but it might be the last 3-click swing TW game until 08.

3-click swing is pretty good. Moves at a good speed, can hit for more power, but makes the swing go faster. Good accuracy zone to shoot for. Accuracy zone can be kinda hard to see as it sometimes blends in with the background.

Graphics are pretty good for PS1. You can zoom on the hole so you can get a good view of the course.

Instead of seeing where the ball will end up you see where the ball will land. This makes it a bit more difficult & longer to get used to. The ball also seems to roll a lot more then in other golf games.

I like the ball physics & the course has good elevation illustrated. Its cool when you hit a ball into a raised area & the ball bounces off of it the way you would expect.

alvatron1

Greatest Golf Games

Postby alvatron1 » April 6th, 2012, 8:43 pm

I'm addicted to Golden Tee Golf. I have the PC and the Playstation versions of the game. Anyone who likes golf games should try them out. Fun times.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Greatest Golf Games

Postby VideoGameCritic » April 7th, 2012, 5:09 pm

I saw on the new tonight that Fred Couples was tied for the lead in the Masters.  I knew that name was familiar so I checked my reviews.  In the past year I reviewed Fred Couples Golf for the Game Gear.  That game was released in 1994!

Good to see the old-timer still has some game...

Irenicus1

Greatest Golf Games

Postby Irenicus1 » April 11th, 2012, 1:00 am

Greatest golf game certainly ain't Tiger Woods 12. The 3-click swing is retarded. Instead of hitting X for accuracy you hit X for draw or fade. In other words the only way you can mess up the shot is by missing the power. 100% FIR & GIR here I come.

Return to “Video Games General”