Whats the best controller you've ever used?

General and high profile video game topics.
Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » March 30th, 2011, 10:18 pm

I think the PS2 controller is my favorite. Well schemed buttons, dual analog sticks are very comfortable, and the grip on the controller is just right. Plus, it provides the right degree of control for my kick ass PS2 games. Great console with great control. It's aged incredibly well, and I predict it will break less for years to come.

a1

Postby a1 » March 31st, 2011, 1:08 am

[QUOTE=Blueguy93]and I predict it will break less for years to come.[/QUOTE]

The controller or the console? Because I've had both break on me. In fact, I've had 2 first party PS2 controllers stop working for no reason (I take good care of my stuff).

Julio III

Postby Julio III » April 2nd, 2011, 7:00 am

My favourite is the Xbox 360. Previously it was the revised Xbox pad. The analogue sticks are in the right place and feel good, the triggers are good. The pad feels good in my hands, and generally lasts a long time till you get fatigue and that's normally due to racing games and holding down the right trigger for large amounts of time. It's a shame the dpad isn't very good. The only
other downsides are that 6 face buttons are needed for street fighter (but this is quite a minor downside as I think 4 face buttons is just right and a stick is preferable for SF anyway) and that you have to keep rebuying AA batteries, which also makes the rumble inconsistent.

JesusSaves

Postby JesusSaves » April 2nd, 2011, 9:01 am

The Dualshock One is definitely my favorite. The analogue sticks and button placements are fantastic, and the D-pad is great too.

gilly

Postby gilly » April 2nd, 2011, 11:00 am

My fave controller ever is the Sega Saturn controller that came with my Nights game.

Jake

Postby Jake » April 2nd, 2011, 12:38 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]It's probably not my favorite, but I find the original Xbox controller (the big one) is extremely comfortable.  I don't think my hands are exceptionally large, but that controller really molds to them well.  If only the buttons weren't so small and beady.
[/QUOTE]

I agree, I don't have big hands.. but that control felt pretty good...

I recall  PS1 being a bit small for my hands.

N64Dude1

Postby N64Dude1 » April 2nd, 2011, 12:51 pm

The small Xbox controller because it has the most comfotable Thumbsticks that are well placed and the same size [unlike GC's similar placement in which the C stick

The break-away cord makes it a lot easier to play on a couch and not trip people

Its a good size unlike the miniscule PS2 controllers and the back is so soft.

Could play Halo all day with this thing,that and Fuzion Frenzy,Shrek 2,Project Gotham Racing,and Fable 

Blueguy93

Postby Blueguy93 » April 2nd, 2011, 8:01 pm

[QUOTE=a]

[QUOTE=Blueguy93]and I predict it will break less for years to come.[/QUOTE]

The controller or the console? Because I've had both break on me. In fact, I've had 2 first party PS2 controllers stop working for no reason (I take good care of my stuff).

[/QUOTE]

The controller

Chaz1

Postby Chaz1 » April 4th, 2011, 1:28 am

Some good thoughts here and a lot of good controllers mentioned.  Thanks for the opinions everybody, heres just some thoughts and opinions of mine on some of the controllers mentioned.

I'll agree that the Dualshock 1 controller is a bit on the small side and that the original Xbox controller molded nicely to my hands, but the button spacing on the Xbox controller ruined it for me.  A crossbreed between the Xbox S controller button placement and the originals size would be ideal for me.

The NES advantage rocked!  It was definitely my preferred controller for some of the more difficult Nintendo games but I haven't used mine for years.  I remember my mom using it for almost every Nintendo game she would play because it made her feel like she "was in an arcade."

I like the Sega Saturn 3D controller for some games but for others (like SHMUPS) not so much.

Nintendo has always made good solid controllers, especially in their early years.  The Dog bone NES and SNES controllers are awesome.  Comfortable and reliable, these controllers are the some of the best in simplicity and durability.

I'm not too familiar with many 3rd party controllers, but the majority of them that I have met I didn't care for.  That's not to say there isn't any good ones, its just that I usually prefer the originals.  An example would be the QuickShot for the NES.  The D-Pad is awful, especially when trying to push down or up quickly.

Fingers dripping ink

Postby Fingers dripping ink » April 6th, 2011, 5:23 am

I still love the original SNES controller. That thing had a killer d-pad, which are a rarity even now. I also had a 3rd party SNES controller that said "High Frequency" on it, but had nothing to set it aside from everything else, no turbo, no nothing. It was my preferred controller for years.

Worst controller ever was the Turbo Touch 360 for the SNES. I got it for Christmas and it was broken in days (or it might have been the next day - it was a few years ago ).

Return to “Video Games General”