Sam Tramiel and the Atari Jaguar.

General and high profile video game topics.
Brain-Stew

Postby Brain-Stew » June 5th, 2006, 9:42 pm

http://strider.mjjprod.free.fr/toxic15/articles/tramiel.htm

This is the funniest thing I've ever read. The President of Atari makes a complete fool of himself when talking about the Jaguar to some interviewer of Next Generation.

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » June 5th, 2006, 10:14 pm

NG : Has the Jaguar been profitable for Atari?

Sam : Oh no. Not yet, not at all. We're investing in the future of the Jaguar

Aha ha ha ha, that whole this is funny as hell.

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » June 5th, 2006, 11:19 pm

Geez, this make me a little sick. The Tramiels HATED video games. They were very religious and thought they were the devil. They would scold you for liking video games and then try to sell you a system in the same breath.

They thought the future would be computers. They were right, but video game consoles thrive even more today. What idiots. I wish somebody else took over Atari in the 80s... the end was just gutwrenching.

Cousin Vinnie

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 6th, 2006, 8:19 am

The thing is though, although they didn't save Atari, they did give us the Lynx, Jaguar, a good computer line, and they put out the 7800 which likely wouldn't have seen the light of day otherwise.  Compare that to the owners of the Atari name since them.  They're far from the worst owners of the name.

RememberShaqFu?

Postby RememberShaqFu? » June 6th, 2006, 9:52 am

I love how he makes the claim that Atari would give Sony a good run for their money! Even if I would have read this new, way back, I would have still found this to be a funny comment! Lol! I am sorry, but they are the main company that should absolutely stay out of the hardware business! RIP Atari...you can stop making any more cruddy games while you're at it!

sega saturn x

Postby sega saturn x » June 6th, 2006, 3:19 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]The thing is though, although they didn't save Atari, they did give us the Lynx, Jaguar, a good computer line, and they put out the 7800 which likely wouldn't have seen the light of day otherwise.  Compare that to the owners of the Atari name since them.  They're far from the worst owners of the name.
[/QUOTE]

But that's only because they COULD, the name still meant somethign back when they picked it up.  And since when is the jaguar somethign to be happy about? 

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » June 6th, 2006, 6:18 pm

[QUOTE=Atarifever]The thing is though, although they didn't save Atari, they did give us the Lynx, Jaguar, a good computer line, and they put out the 7800 which likely wouldn't have seen the light of day otherwise.  Compare that to the owners of the Atari name since them.  They're far from the worst owners of the name.
[/QUOTE]

Nope. All the really bad sh*t hit the fan under the Tramiels reigns. The video game crash happened before they got there but they never got the plane off the ground. Nintendo wanted to be distributed by Atari... they said no. They were the ones that buried the 7800 and stepped on the 2600's throat. Good computer line? What happened to Atari computer line? The Jaguar was also a huge flop with many many lousy games... I'm sorry, I don't see how they did that well in the home market under those idiots.

The Lynx was awesome, though. I guess they got lucky on that one... even though some other company designed it.

Vinnie

Funkmaster V

Postby Funkmaster V » June 6th, 2006, 6:20 pm

[QUOTE=RememberShaqFu?]

I love how he makes the claim that Atari would give Sony a good run for their money! Even if I would have read this new, way back, I would have still found this to be a funny comment! Lol! I am sorry, but they are the main company that should absolutely stay out of the hardware business! RIP Atari...you can stop making any more cruddy games while you're at it!

[/QUOTE]

Atari has been dead for years, man. The company Infogrames has bought the name and logo and pretty much hurt its reputation more. Don't be fooled... the real Atari could still kick your ass, young'in.

FUNK

Atarifever1

Postby Atarifever1 » June 6th, 2006, 10:13 pm

[QUOTE=Funkmaster V]

[/QUOTE]

Nope. All the really bad sh*t hit the fan under the Tramiels reigns. The video game crash happened before they got there but they never got the plane off the ground. Nintendo wanted to be distributed by Atari... they said no. They were the ones that buried the 7800 and stepped on the 2600's throat. Good computer line? What happened to Atari computer line? The Jaguar was also a huge flop with many many lousy games... I'm sorry, I don't see how they did that well in the home market under those idiots.

The Lynx was awesome, though. I guess they got lucky on that one... even though some other company designed it.

Vinnie

[/QUOTE]
Yes, but name me a group of owners since who has even risked anything like a 32/64 bit system, a handheld, a computer line and distribution of another system under that name.  I'm not saying they did well; I'm just saying that at least then they were still trying something.  The best thing any Atari named company has done since is the Flashback 2, and even the Tramiels were pushing 2600 games.  I
Atari was dead during the crash and I'm sooo sure were anyone else in charge of the company when Nintendo came and said "hey remember those videogame things that crashed awhile ago?  Remember how much money everyone lost on those? Remember how you couldn't give them away?  Yeah, how'd you like to bank the company on them instead of the personal computer market, which seems to be doing well", then they'd have said "saddle up Nintendo, let's ride!"  Hindsight lets us think turning down a big ugly toaster toy that was in a dead market was a bad idea.  It isn't lke the NES was already enjoying record North American sales and Atari said "no thanks, we hate money".  

R. Jones

Postby R. Jones » June 7th, 2006, 3:17 am

I love how he says that the Saturn is going to have trouble competing with the Jaguar, because the Saturn is a "mess inside" and difficult program for.

Return to “Video Games General”