Sam Tramiel and the Atari Jaguar.

General and high profile video game topics.
bluemonkey1

Postby bluemonkey1 » July 1st, 2011, 2:28 pm

The main problem with the Jaguar was that the development kits were pretty awful and a lot of the documentation missing or incorrect.  The result is that a lot of the less impressive titles were merely using the Motorola 68k chip to do all of their processing when this was never meant to do anything more than act as a glorified bus manager and handle controller inputs, such games never took advantage of the multi CPU setup.  A lot of games were also farmed out on the cheap to very small teams due to a lack of money.

Fortunately a lot of hobbyists have fixed the lack of tools issues in recent years and done some amazing things, have a search for Atari Owl's project.  Also people have actually disproved one of the system's main limitations claimed by Atari with Gorf and a few others working out how to jump around in the ram from the other processors.

PacMan000

Postby PacMan000 » July 2nd, 2011, 11:36 am

I thought about mentioning that, but it was hard to fit in.

Also, my "Do the Math" comment wasn't entirely serious; the Sautrn had co-processors in addition to it's 4 main processors/graphics processors.  I should have made my less-than-serious intent clear with a smilie.

pacman000

Re: Sam Tramiel and the Atari Jaguar.

Postby pacman000 » July 11th, 2018, 12:04 am

PacMan000 wrote:Atari had just won lawsuits against Sega and Nintendo, so I can understand why Sam Tramiel would threaten to sue Sony for dumping. I can also understand why Atari didn't do sue Sony. Sam Tramiel had a heart attack, and Jack Tramiel didn't want to run a company that was bleeding cash.

Of course Sony could have avoided a dumping charge by lowering the PS1's price in Japan. Does someone know if they did that?

Hey look, my 1st post. Finally found the answer a few weeks ago. Sony did not drop the PS1's price in Japan; the PS1 released in the U.S. lacked an s-video port. That made it a different product, so they could release it at a different price.

Return to “Video Games General”