Playstation Vita

General and high profile video game topics.
JWK1

Playstation Vita

Postby JWK1 » June 14th, 2011, 9:47 pm

I think this thing is gonna be a beast.  Everyone maligns the PSP, but I think it's a great machine.  My go to system when I want to play a JRPG.  And let's be honest; 68 million units isn't exactly a failure.  Sony is in the best position of any company in history to compete with Nintendo's current handheld.  I think at the end of 6 years their sales will be very comparable.  Of course, Nintendo has all their first party stuff which is next to impossible to compete with, but I think Sony will come close.  I'm equally excited for the PSV and the 3DS.  It's a tough call for me.

scotland

Re: Playstation Vita

Postby scotland » June 20th, 2015, 9:39 pm

Vita came out for Holiday 2011, a half a year after the 'old' 3DS. With E3 2015 over and the Vita not rating much of a murmur, it seems like a good time to talk about it. Ars longa, vita brevis they said in Rome, and for Sony the Vita seems all too brevis.

The anti Nintendo portable, home to indie 3rd party games. Did the tech hold up over time? How many noteworthy exclusives does it have? Was it a success or failure for Sony? Were Vita buyers happy or sad? Does Sony have a successor system or abandoning the market? Should Microsoft compete in the portable market? Did the Vita affect the 3DS in any way?

Any Vita owners out there? What do you think of the life and times of the Sony Vita, three and a half years after launch?

Vexer6

Postby Vexer6 » June 20th, 2015, 9:45 pm

As a Vita owner i'm pretty bitter about Sony all but abandoning it, it didn't treat the PSP this poorly and at that point the PS3 wasn't doing so hot, now Sony's doing better then ever yet somehow they couldn't be bothered to give us any more first-party exclusives on the Vita? Pathetic.

ptdebate

Postby ptdebate » June 20th, 2015, 11:37 pm

I love the VIta. It's my go-to system (not just portable, but system in general) for indies (the likes of Fez, Rogue Legacy, and Unfinished Swan) and JRPGS (All the Personas, all the Final Fantasies, and assorted other action-y titles like Ys: Memories of Celceta, Tales of Hearts R, and Soul Sacrifice Delta).

Sony's support doesn't tell a compelling story, but it's not a story that matters much to me. What is the actual definition of first party anyway? Freedom Wars, a recent title that I loved, was co-developed by Sony's Japan studio. That's first party and exclusive...

Tron

Postby Tron » June 22nd, 2015, 7:25 pm

Epic fail for Sony & it didn't have to be. If they had released some games & movies on this thing it could've been awesome. I think the system itself looks sweet, but unless you want JRPG's or downloads then why buy one?

I've seen tons of PC games that I think would've been awesome on the Vita. Too bad they never made it. No support for this thing.

scotland

Postby scotland » December 13th, 2015, 1:28 pm

Any opinions on the Playstation Vita TV. It plays Vita games,right?

Shapur

Postby Shapur » December 13th, 2015, 3:28 pm

I'm curious about peoples opinions of the PS TV also. To me the Vita library basically looks like crap, but I've been toying with the idea of keeping my PS Plus membership and in that case it's only like 40 bucks for the TV and I get two free games to play a month. Not a bad deal really.

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » December 14th, 2015, 7:30 am

Shapur wrote:I'm curious about peoples opinions of the PS TV also. To me the Vita library basically looks like crap, but I've been toying with the idea of keeping my PS Plus membership and in that case it's only like 40 bucks for the TV and I get two free games to play a month. Not a bad deal really.

Well that is a coincidence. My only videogame related Christmas gift this year is a Vita TV and a PS+ membership. The system with the memory card, a game download, and a controller was 40 bucks at Walmart awhile ago, and I desperately wanted one of the "games every month" memberships being a Nintendo loyalists doesn't allow me. I'll let everyone know how it works out in a week and a half.

Atariboy

Postby Atariboy » December 14th, 2015, 8:18 am

The only thing wrong with the PSTV is the lack of compatibility. Many more Vita releases could be fully playable on it, but arbitrary rules lock them out since the publishers haven't signed off on allowing their games to be played here (Despite no need for such nonsense elsewhere like the Game Boy Player).

And several high profile 1st party releases like Uncharted: Golden Abyss that aren't supported due to minor touch/motion control controls, should've been patched because of their popularity and the ease to adapting them to full controller use. It's pretty sad when even the Vita's flagship 1st party title that was a handheld entry in what's perhaps their biggest console franchise of today, isn't even supported by the console version of their handheld.

And then there's the strange case of PSP compatibility. Not only are a significant portion of PSN downloads not allowed to be played on a Vita handheld due to those same legality issues that have kept some Vita games off the PSTV despite not even utilizing the touch screen and motion capabilities of the Vita, but the compatibility list for PSP content on the PSTV isn't even one and the same as that of a Vita handheld. You essentially end up with a subsection of a subsection where PSP games with clearances for PSTV use are concerned.

And it's so screwed up that it's not even consistent when it comes to workarounds for some of this nonsense. You can take your Vita memory card from your handheld with PSP Game A that's cleared for the Vita but not the PSTV, and play it on your PSTV by swapping the card. But with PSP Game B, you'll see an error message informing you that this game isn't compatible with the PSTV. While puzzling enough why there are workarounds at all, the fact that it's not even consistent from game to game doesn't even make any sense.

How screwed up this thing is due to rights issues is perhaps best demonstrated by Netflix, the top streaming provider of them all, not being here despite the Vita handheld itself having a Netflix app and the PSTV being positioned as a Playstation streaming box in the West...

At least it has Jeff Minter's TxK (Aka, Tempest 4000).

Atarifever

Postby Atarifever » December 26th, 2015, 6:05 am

So far, the PS TV is looking like an incredible buy. I was a little bummed that one of the two Vita games that are free with PS Pus this month doesn't work on PS TV. However, I think I can do without Rocketbirds, when the huge, full retail game "Freedom Wars" is the other free game, and it is awesome. As well, the download library looks great, and when you have a PS+ membership, a pile of the games are deeply discounted. I'm actually going to try PS Now, as it has The Last of Us, which I have no other way of playing. Streaming or not, playing The Last of Us on a $50 machine smaller than the Dualshock controller itself would be pretty cool.

My only issue is the 8GB memory card. I wish they'd put a bigger one in, given that it is a proprietary format, and they're not exactly easy to find (unfortunately, The Source was selling the 4GB ones off for 99 cents, but they're all out).

As a bonus, my PS+ membership let me "buy" the free PS3 and PS4 games this month using the browser version of the PS store on my computer. So apparently whenever I get a PS3 or PS4 now, I'll already have games. :)

Return to “Video Games General”