DS Lite?

General and high profile video game topics.
Boston

DS Lite?

Postby Boston » June 13th, 2006, 3:30 pm

I was curious if you were going to run out and get a DS Lite? For those who do that pushes your investment (if you already have one) to $300..kind of a high price in my book.

bluemonkey1

DS Lite?

Postby bluemonkey1 » June 13th, 2006, 5:31 pm

Something that bugged me immensely was the GBA-> GBA Second Purchase rerelease and this feels the same.

I got kind of screwed last year too.  I bought a GBA SP as a present.  Guess what happened two weeks later, out came the SP with better backlit screen.  If I had known that was going to happen I would have waited.

JustLikeHeaven1

DS Lite?

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » June 13th, 2006, 6:18 pm

I don't know if I will be upgrading to a DS Lite, but man do I wish Nintendo made the system originally like this.  I have always hated this about Nintendo's handhelds and I sure hope that Sony doesn't try anything like it.  Anyways I tried a DS Lite the other day and personally its design is much better than the original.  The screens are much brighter and make the graphics really pop, plus the button layout doesn't cause hand cramps as easily.  If you never owned a DS I would highly recommend it, but if you already have one go get a PSP instead.

Boston

DS Lite?

Postby Boston » June 13th, 2006, 6:40 pm

I already have a DS and a PSP. There is no excuse acceptable as to why Nintendo couldn't include these features with the first DS. I mean, nothing the DS Lite has is all that ground breaking considering that the SP had a backlit screen (I believe). Not to mention the fact that Nintendo had like 15 years of experience with handhelds prior to the DS. I was just curious if the Critic or people in general were going to try and get it. I would really like to get it as the improvements are nice but I am not shelling out the $130.

Adamant1

DS Lite?

Postby Adamant1 » June 13th, 2006, 6:48 pm

Yeah, while the DS Lite is definitly a sexy little gadget, it's way too pointless for me to even consider picking one up. Better light and buttons is NOT worth 300$.

sega saturn x

DS Lite?

Postby sega saturn x » June 13th, 2006, 8:05 pm

[QUOTE=Adamant]Yeah, while the DS Lite is definitly a sexy little gadget, it's way too pointless for me to even consider picking one up. Better light and buttons is NOT worth 300$.[/QUOTE] That's why it's why it costs 150$.

And nintendo ahs been doing this for YEARS.  I use to expect it to backfire (game boy pocket etc) but they clearly know what they are doing because it hasn't yet.

J.M. Vargas

DS Lite?

Postby J.M. Vargas » June 14th, 2006, 1:37 am

[QUOTE=Adamant]Yeah, while the DS Lite is definitly a sexy little gadget, it's way too pointless for me to even consider picking one up. Better light and buttons is NOT worth 300$.[/QUOTE]

Where is the DS Lite selling for $300, eBay?  Anywho, I'm as angry about Nintendo doing the 'improved hardware' thing but I happen to have some extra cash so decided to buy one (last one left at K-Mart in NYC) and I'm now officially a convert.  Other than the microphone being now located between the two screens (spit is guaranteed to hit both screens now instead of just the lower one... EEEUUU!!!) I'm just blown away by how colorful both screens look now.  I played Resident Evil DS (a dark game, both figuratively and for real), which I had to strain my eyes and hold just right to see the screens right with the original DS.  With the DS Lite the second and third-brightest setting make all the details of the rotting zombies, pixelated textures/gore and rotten wood in the Spiders room look almost Technicolor-like.  Colorful games like Yoshi's Island or New Super Mario Bros. now look freaking unreal, like a Skittles 'Taste the Rainbow' commercial in the palm of my hand.  And, unlike the original DS, the screens are now so bright that other people are peeking at my DS Lite on the subway and bus as I ride to and from work.  Too bad you can't select the screen brightness on the fly (like with the PSP) but I've found the next-to-last brightness setting to be the more comfortable on the eyes.  The brightest setting is so ridiculously bright you might as well give it to cave explorers so they can light their way.

I hate to sound like a cliche' but it's true: once you game on the DS Lite there's just no going back to the original DS resolution.  If you're not interested in the DS Lite your best bet is not to borrow or play one from a friend.  If you do you're going to be left wanting this puppy bad.  Just telling it like it is, and I'm as big a supporter of the PSP and N-Gage as they come!

Alienblue

DS Lite?

Postby Alienblue » June 14th, 2006, 3:24 am

I normally would not shell out for a "version 2.0" of a system but the first DS does have major light problems; tilting it a little makes the LCD screens "wash out" and blur. I take it
the Ds lite fixes that...makes you wonder if, like microsoft, they LEAVE bugs in the things just to get more money! Anyway, I'll wait till the lite comes down a bit.

Boston

DS Lite?

Postby Boston » June 14th, 2006, 7:34 am

Do the math people, if you spend say $150 for the first one and around $150 for the second one that is $300 to play essentially the same machine.

hi there

DS Lite?

Postby hi there » June 14th, 2006, 9:18 am

[QUOTE=Boston]

Do the math people, if you spend say $150 for the first one and around $150 for the second one that is $300 to play essentially the same machine.

[/QUOTE]

Why not just trade in the orignial system?

Return to “Video Games General”