GG Vs Lynx

General and high profile video game topics.
Alienblue

GG Vs Lynx

Postby Alienblue » June 16th, 2006, 5:28 am

With all the PSP Vs DS harping, it really reminds me of the old- timey Game Gear VS. Lynx debate (gameboy was considered too "limited" to even be a contendor!)...I got both systems and strangely, I got the Lynx first. My impression was that the lynx had the better SYSTEM, overall - despite having a slightly lower resolution than game gear (hence you could not turn it into a portable TV), it was much more comftorble to hold than the bulky 'gear and the buttons were easier to reach; plus the GG screen washed out in much the way the original DS does only MUCH worse. (I used adaptors for both BTW). But GG got the better games of course, since Atari was really going under..I still miss lynx games like Toki and Qix. ....I remember a few years back someone said they were bringing back the game gear for $99. Did that last or is the company long gone now? I know Lynx still has homebrews being made...any for GG?

Atarifever1

GG Vs Lynx

Postby Atarifever1 » June 16th, 2006, 7:26 am

I don't know which is better because I don't have a Lynx.  I know I have a couple really good games for the GG (Sonic Chaos, Mortal Kombat, and Streets of Rage), but I hardly ever play it because it's so hard on the eyes.  It's better than the original GBA model (which is a totally horrible handheld by the way; thank goodness for the SP and Micro), but it's still pretty washed out.

Alienblue

GG Vs Lynx

Postby Alienblue » June 16th, 2006, 1:20 pm

I LOVED the screen on the Lynx! Like I said, it was slightly
low-res (even though it was "16-bit" the graphics were on
a par with NES, resolution wise) but for the time it was VERY
bright and the Lynx 2 (the model I owned) had a FLAT screen,
very much on a par with the GBA micro. The Game Gear looked very pretty when looked at head on but like the DS, tilting it just a tiny bit often resulted in "LCD wash" (where suddenly everything looks SILVER?)...in fact about half the used GG's I've tested have "broken" screens, all color now gone and awash in silver! The Lynx was much more durable. Sadly, my Lynx got busted during my last move (someone sat a TV on top of it!); I still have five MIB carts but never found another system.(I have Qix, Batman,
Toki, Gauntlet and that "impossible mission" type game...)

Quiet Flight

GG Vs Lynx

Postby Quiet Flight » June 17th, 2006, 12:56 am

I always prefered Turbo Express. What a great screen on that.

Conn

GG Vs Lynx

Postby Conn » June 17th, 2006, 4:12 am

Game Gear!! The Shinobi and Sonic games were pretty awesome.

Alienblue

GG Vs Lynx

Postby Alienblue » June 17th, 2006, 5:58 am

Like the elusive TG-16 I've never SEEN a turbo express, let alone owned one. Always wanted to though, the TG had some great games. I wish companies today could make a CONSOLE handheld (2 things stopping them; standard DVD format size (both the TG16 and TE took little HUcards) and of course greed (why sell a game in one format when you can sell it in four(xbox, PS3, GC, PSP))...

zenzerotron

GG Vs Lynx

Postby zenzerotron » June 17th, 2006, 12:42 pm

I just got my Lynx(model 2) in the mail the other day. I only paid 20 bucks.......thank God.

I think the screen is extremely poor, it makes the orginal GameBoy's screen bright and clearly visible by comparsion. The Lynx has to have the worst screen in portable gaming history, it's really ruining my enjoyment of the system.

For this reason alone, I vote for GameGear, even though it has a shorter battery life.

I actually plan on getting a GameGear, PSP, and Turboexpress sometime this year. I want a complete collecton of handheld systems.

hi there

GG Vs Lynx

Postby hi there » June 17th, 2006, 1:08 pm

You know, i awlays wonder how the game boy survived, after all, it was black and white, and the games were more limited when compared to the GG and Lynx.

Alienblue

GG Vs Lynx

Postby Alienblue » June 17th, 2006, 1:18 pm

Zen...well, your opinion is your own but I am wondering if you got a bad used Lynx. I bought both the GG and Lynx back when they were NEW; my experiance...I used to play the Lynx in bed at night just like I do my DS and did with my GBA-SP. But when I turned off the lights, my gamegear didn't seem so bright! And as I said just moving it a bit coused blur. Also, the lynx has much better sound and cool games; GG games were ACTUALLY master system games (most were released of the SMS in Europe) or watered down genny games; I had Sonic 2 and SOR 2....but sold the sytem after that because the Lynx, for me, was more fun. Not that GG games aren't cool too, but like I said..to each his own. I just always felt the GG was a portable master system while the LYNX was something all-new with original games.

Funkmaster V

GG Vs Lynx

Postby Funkmaster V » June 17th, 2006, 3:29 pm

Well, Zen, if you paid 20 bucks for the Lynx, there's something probably something wrong with the screen. The Lynx 2 has a great bright screen, alot better that the original Gameboy SP. I think its a great friggin system, and undoubtedly the 2nd best Atari system ever

Vinnie

Return to “Video Games General”