Modern or classic gaming

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Modern or classic gaming

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 3rd, 2011, 3:17 pm

[QUOTE=JustLikeHeaven]To clarify my earlier statement - Most modern games DO have challenge and diffuculty to them.  My main problem is that you don't encounter that challenge until a very long time into the game.  If i've been playing a game for 6 hours and I've yet to die once...there is something wrong.  I'm not that good of a gamer lol! 

Honestly, how often do you play a modern game and die within the first 5 minutes of playing?  On top of that...if you die there is zero penalty for doing so.  You just respawn 5 paces back from where you expired.  It just inspires reckless gameplay and really doesn't force you to become good at the game.

[/QUOTE]

I think you raise a good point.  In the old days when games were shorter, you played to see how long you could survive and/or to beat your high score.  You really needed to hone your skills.

Modern games seem to be a test of how many hours you're willing to stare at the screen.  Apparently the goal on most game is to just see all the stages.  Once you've done that, what's the point of playing through it again?

James McCloud

Modern or classic gaming

Postby James McCloud » September 3rd, 2011, 4:28 pm

[QUOTE=Josh]@ James McCloud

DKR and Excitebots weren't developed by Nintendo - just published.

I give props to DKR but it was released alongside Kirby's Epic Yarn - a game that my 8 year thought sucked because it was too easy (and he likes easy games like Lego Star Wars). I thought ExciteTruck was great but the Bots game had too many wonky motion control gimmickery. It's hard to judge difficutly when that stuff is present.

I am more critical of stuff like Kirby's Epic Yarn and the recent Zelda games. You had to try to get killed in Windwaker and TP. The only difficulty was found in the puzzles.

[/QUOTE]

Well fair enough? But that's only 3 games. I have not played those games so I do not know if they are hard or difficult. I guess my point is I could pick 3 'easy' Nintendo games from the NES and call them casual but does that make for a whole system? Seems like a thin slice. 

Also, just FYI, but Nintendo codeveloped the games I mentioned in addition to publishing them, they have much oversight of both Retro and Monster games from what I gather. 

JustLikeHeaven1

Modern or classic gaming

Postby JustLikeHeaven1 » September 3rd, 2011, 5:07 pm

[QUOTE=The Video Game Critic]
Modern games seem to be a test of how many hours you're willing to stare at the screen.  Apparently the goal on most game is to just see all the stages.  Once you've done that, what's the point of playing through it again?
[/QUOTE]

I think the goal is get through whatever "story" the developers have cooked up.  They want the game to be easy to get through so you can see all the cool action sequences and other stuff that you watch instead of actually playing.  That's the worst part with most games these days...all the coolest stuff happens when you set the controller down and watch the storyline progress.  Rarely do you get to control the game when anything remotely different happens and if you do it's a simple button press during a "quick time event."

Leo1

Modern or classic gaming

Postby Leo1 » September 3rd, 2011, 10:56 pm

I couldn't resist mentioning Half-Life 2 and it's two expansions after reading your post, JustLikeHeaven. They're the rare exception that does the exact opposite of what you described.

soporj1

Modern or classic gaming

Postby soporj1 » September 4th, 2011, 12:33 am

[QUOTE=DrCruse]Modern games have much more replay value than older games.
[/QUOTE]

That's just nonsense.

Guy

Modern or classic gaming

Postby Guy » September 4th, 2011, 1:13 am

[QUOTE=soporj][QUOTE=DrCruse]Modern games have much more replay value than older games.
[/QUOTE]

That's just nonsense.

[/QUOTE]

I agree it is nonsense! I guess it may depends on how old youare!

DrCruse1

Modern or classic gaming

Postby DrCruse1 » September 4th, 2011, 7:27 am

[QUOTE=soporj][QUOTE=DrCruse]Modern games have much more replay value than older games.
[/QUOTE]

That's just nonsense.
[/QUOTE]
No, the notion that Modern games lack replay value is nonsense.

James McCloud

Modern or classic gaming

Postby James McCloud » September 4th, 2011, 9:05 am

Well the reason people have arguments in topics like this is because they make broad generalizations either way - and of course any random person on here can be buying and playing different games or having different experiences.

For example - Modern or Classic Gaming?

I like great games of every era, and because I buy games I tend to enjoy, I rarely am annoyed by things I do not like, unless they happen to 'creep' into a series I enjoy. I can list tons of Modern games that play and feel like Classic games and I am not talking retro revival either.

Blueguy93

Modern or classic gaming

Postby Blueguy93 » September 5th, 2011, 2:37 pm

I think the stereotype is that todays games take more time to get used to and don't have that pick up and play quality.

But LOOK at the Wii! It has LOTS of fantastic pick up and play games such as Wii Sports, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Boom Blox, Mario Kart Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Exctebots, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, De Blob, Geometry Wars Gakaxies, NHL Slapshot, and NBA Jam.

Pick up and Play gaming is out there in today's games. You just need to look more often.

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Modern or classic gaming

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 5th, 2011, 3:39 pm

[QUOTE=Blueguy93]I think the stereotype is that todays games take more time to get used to and don't have that pick up and play quality.

But LOOK at the Wii! It has LOTS of fantastic pick up and play games such as Wii Sports, New Super Mario Bros. Wii, Boom Blox, Mario Kart Wii, Donkey Kong Country Returns, Exctebots, Kirby's Epic Yarn, Super Mario Galaxy 1 and 2, De Blob, Geometry Wars Gakaxies, NHL Slapshot, and NBA Jam.

Pick up and Play gaming is out there in today's games. You just need to look more often.[/QUOTE]

I think you could argue that NONE of the modern games are pick-up-and-play, just by the fact that it takes so long between turning on the console and actually playing the game. 

With the Wii you need to pick the game from the menu screen, page through a bunch of legal screens and wait for it to long just to get to the title screen!

In the old days of cartridge you just popped in the thing and off you went.

Return to “Video Games General”