Fixing NES Carts

General and high profile video game topics.
Greisha1

Fixing NES Carts

Postby Greisha1 » September 18th, 2011, 7:33 pm

Hey all --

I have a strange fix needed for a NES cart -- the game's title screen comes up all gooky looking, all the music plays, and sometimes the game will start, all gobbley-gooky. Other times pressing start just sends it back to the title screen. However, the game works very very well with the Game Genie attached. As in, I can actually play it.

All of my other games work fine without the Game Genie.

Does anyone know what the problem might be?

Thanks!

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Fixing NES Carts

Postby VideoGameCritic » September 18th, 2011, 11:19 pm

Did you clean the cartridge really good?  Dip Q-tips in rubbing alcohol and run them along the contacts.  Repeat until nothing is showing up on the Q-tips.

Be sure the cart is completely dry before sticking back into your NES!

stephen

Fixing NES Carts

Postby stephen » September 19th, 2011, 2:00 pm

I found another method for those games that really dont work at all. Just take a sharp razor and scrape the edges with it VERY GENTLY. Then it will be clean.

Pixelcade1

Fixing NES Carts

Postby Pixelcade1 » September 22nd, 2011, 1:26 am

No no no here's the best method.

brasso brand brass polish on the connectors followed by isopropyl alcohol 70%. Trust me you do this and your games are going to work 100% providing there is nothing wrong with the game. I personally take every game I get apart and air blow out the games, clean every inch of plastic and then the connectors using the above solutions. All my games work on the first press.

Return to “Video Games General”