The Simpsons Arcade Game

General and high profile video game topics.
Leo1

The Simpsons Arcade Game

Postby Leo1 » October 17th, 2011, 9:48 pm

Exactly

That's my point, they can still be the same quarter munchers that kill you off in no time with you being left to wonder what 95% of the rest of the game looks like if the gamer wants them to be. Compilations, standalone digital rereleases, and the like don't force you to enter a new credit in when you reach a game over screen.

At least this way, if the gamer does want to continue, they always have the option to insert another virtual quarter into the machine.

Pixelcade1

The Simpsons Arcade Game

Postby Pixelcade1 » October 18th, 2011, 12:13 am

A little late to the conversation here. But you never heard of it!!! WOW! You missed out on a great fighter there. Any Simpsons fan will tell you it's the best video game for the franchise ever made. GOOOOO HOMER!!! DOH DOH DOH

Fingers dripping ink

The Simpsons Arcade Game

Postby Fingers dripping ink » November 10th, 2011, 2:06 pm

I've been meaning to say this for awhile. I love arcade conversions, but I believe a simple bit of programming known as an "options screen" could be implemented. Within this "options screen" could be an "option" to "adjust number of credits." A good example of this is Metal Slug X for the PSX.

Stephen

The Simpsons Arcade Game

Postby Stephen » November 16th, 2011, 4:02 pm

I had the opportunity to buy a cabinet, yet lost out big. It is at the Canfeild fair every year. Always had a blast. But driving to Ohio breaks my bank. Even if I get to see my cousin without him coming over him self. They DO have one at the local Pizza Hut. I get strange looks from parents when I buy the children games, I don't even order pizza.

Stephen

The Simpsons Arcade Game

Postby Stephen » November 16th, 2011, 4:08 pm

It made me mad, so I'll say it. Why in the HELL would they say that the Genesis AND Super Nintendo (yes I'm dragging the SNES into the DEAL so fanboys don't rub in my face the mistake) would be inferior to the arcade, yet release it n a system with limitations such as the commodore 64's. 

Fingers dripping ink

The Simpsons Arcade Game

Postby Fingers dripping ink » November 17th, 2011, 2:41 am

[QUOTE=Stephen]It made me mad, so I'll say it. Why in the HELL would they say that the Genesis AND Super Nintendo (yes I'm dragging the SNES into the DEAL so fanboys don't rub in my face the mistake) would be inferior to the arcade, yet release it n a system with limitations such as the commodore 64's. [/QUOTE]

As a Super Nintendo fanboy, I can confirm that your particular statement wouldn't make any of us mad

But seriously, who knows why they did it? I had it for the PC and it was...um...not so great. It was fun nonetheless. It probably boils down to licensing issues.

ShadowAngel1

The Simpsons Arcade Game

Postby ShadowAngel1 » November 17th, 2011, 9:19 am

[QUOTE=Fingers dripping ink]But seriously, who knows why they did it? I had it for the PC and it was...um...not so great. It was fun nonetheless. It probably boils down to licensing issues.[/QUOTE]

License issues are right.
Acclaim held the license rights for The Simpsons on the consoles, releasing a big load of bad games on the various Sega and Nintendo systems.
While they never had the rights, to release Simpsons games on the Homcomputers and DOS PCs. Those rights went to Konami, who contracted Novotrade (best known for the Ecco the Dolphin series) to make computer versions of the Arcade game and also released another PC-only Simpsons game: Bart's House of Weirdness (horrible game by the way).

The same happened with Star Trek for example. Interplay held the license rights for Computers, while the console rights changed at the same time from Konami to Absolute Entertainment, then Spectrum Holobyte, then Playmates and a couple of other publishers.

Leo1

The Simpsons Arcade Game

Postby Leo1 » February 2nd, 2012, 7:11 am

Just a bump to remind everyone that this will be releasing on February 3rd (Friday) on XBLA for $10. Looks to be exactly what the fans wanted to see.

Paul C

The Simpsons Arcade Game

Postby Paul C » February 2nd, 2012, 2:01 pm

I am literally AMAZED that you are only just now running into this game, Dave.  I remember it coming around almost like a semi-sequel to the arcade TMNT games, just with different characters and stuff.  It rode the shirt tails of the TMNT craze and rode it well, being arguably the most fun of any of them.  People went nuts over this game in the arcades when it came out because the world was still especially nuts for The Simpsons, and because it's an awesome game.

Return to “Video Games General”