Ever accidently delete a save?

General and high profile video game topics.
Leo1

Postby Leo1 » October 11th, 2011, 10:53 pm

I was showing off the Wind Waker to a friend the other day. It's the first and only time I've preordered a game, which I did specifically to get the preorder bonus (Almost didn't even pay it fully off and pick this up, I really just wanted the Ocarina of Time disc).

Anyways, I went to my old save that I finished years ago to show him the ending. After some trials of guessing where to go and what to do once I got to Ganon, since I had forgotten so much over the last 7-8 years, the end credits started to role.

Without thinking, I agreed to the second quest. The problem is that I already had the second quest in slot 2 from the first time I beat the game. I figured this would just be overwritten. Instead, it erased my original save and appeared in slot 1 rather than slot 2 or the unused slot 3...

Kind of sad, although I'm not quite certain why since it's not like I lost anything of value. Still, I always keep my first play through of a Zelda game intact and hate to have unintentionally have broken that pattern. There's some sentimentality there, I suppose. I don't blow through these games in a week like many do. I savor them and play in relatively small burst of an hour or two here and there until completion. So a 20-40 hour Zelda adventure starts to really feel like an adventure in my mind since it's such a substantial undertaking that is usually spread out over several years.

Anyone else?

snakeboy1

Postby snakeboy1 » October 12th, 2011, 2:08 pm

I can't think of any time that I deleted a save by accident, however, a little while back I did have all the save data on a Gamecube memory card get corrupted.  I had a lot of saves on it, including Wind Waker.  Like you, I don't breeze through these games in a few weeks or even months; I had been working on Wind Waker for literally years.  I probably had 50+ hours put into it and was very deep into the game.  The fact that I had to start from scratch was a pretty bitter bill to take.

Truthfulpietro1

Postby Truthfulpietro1 » October 12th, 2011, 4:04 pm

Me? I let my nephew play one Klonoa on the Wii. He was only 4 years old. He didn't understand the system of how Saving your games works, so he uwittingly overwrit my save game data. Naturally I was upset about it. Thankfully, it was Klonoa, I could get the game progress back in a couple of days.

Steve1

Postby Steve1 » October 12th, 2011, 6:01 pm

I think I may "win" this one. Instead of re-typing everything, I looked up the original post (Lost Xbox 360 game saves). I lost every single game save I had at that time. I'm still depressed about it almost 3 years later.

Viper821

Postby Viper821 » October 12th, 2011, 9:22 pm

ARGH!! Too many painful repressed memories!

One such example was Super Mario Land 2 on Game Boy. I had a near perfect save slot when my brother saw that you could turn into a bomb at the 'save' pipe and thought it was a special hard mode. To my horror, I saw that it deleted my save slot! You should have seen my face that day.

I also saved over my near Megalopolis in Sim City (SNES). I had about 20-25 hours invested in my work of art and it was gone in an instant with my 'built-to-be-destroyed' town saved over it.

Finally, it wasn't always someone's fault: I'm a Super Mario World (SNES) God and had a perfect save slot that got corrupted. This happened many more times as time went on. The first time it happened it took a few weeks before I could pick that game up again. Ironically enough though my second oldest SNES game (with a 5 year battery life) still works after almost 20 years. 

PacFan

Postby PacFan » October 13th, 2011, 10:47 am

Ouch Viper82 that SimCity one had to really hurt.

Roperious1

Postby Roperious1 » October 13th, 2011, 8:13 pm

The year was 1996. Summer. My best friend and I were playing through Star Trek: Echoes from the Past for Sega Genesis. We would alternate, him playing the space missions and I playing the away missions. For years we had struggled with the mining level (Gamma Oriens IIIB or something). Finally we passed it! The game featured a save system via internal battery. 

Shortly after, a good friend of ours asked to borrow the game, promising not to save over our file. In exchange he lent us the interactive VCR board game; Star Trek: A Klingon Challenge. Unfortunately our friends little brother saved over our file... We never did return that board game .

Pixelcade1

Postby Pixelcade1 » October 18th, 2011, 12:16 am

Leo my friend I've done this more times than I care to recall over the decades of gaming I've been involved in. Or lost save codes etc... it's one of those moments where your heat skips a beat and you are left feeling alone and violated. Sigh

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » October 18th, 2011, 2:39 am

Sometimes, you can blame someone else, your little brother... and the anger helps getting through. And, sometimes, it's your own fault, and there's NOTHING you can do!!!

PacMan000

Postby PacMan000 » October 18th, 2011, 11:59 am

Yep,  I accidentally deleted a save on Donkey Kong Land 2.  It was along time ago, so I can't remember exactly how.  I think I dropped the Game Boy (or something), the game displayed a weird menu, I didn't know what it was, I pressed a button, and POOF!  the little progress we'd made was gone. 

Return to “Video Games General”