Wow! This game look awesome (3DS)

General and high profile video game topics.
James1

Postby James1 » October 14th, 2011, 5:01 pm

There are lots of painters 'like' Thomas Benton

There are lots of writers 'like' Earnest Hemingway

There are lots of bands 'like' Pearl Jam

There are lots of cars 'like' my 1968 Ford Galaxy

Oh wait. You do not want 'like' you want 'THE' for your own personal reasons?

Oh gee whiz. There went the wind out of those sails. As far as sales, on average LIVE is just as expensive if not more expensive than Wiiware, from what my brief research tells me. Not adding in LIVE subscriptions for their online play and their poor mans cable service, etc.

But I do not own a Wii or a 360, so I do not care. I am not looking to buy games 'like' the ones I mentioned, I am looking to but 'THE' games I mentioned. I am sure iOS has tons of games 'like' the ones I mentioned, in addition to stolen games approved for the service, but I do not own an iOS device either.

Nothing passive aggressive about noting the sea change in games on a Sony console either. Just factual analysis.

ActRaiser1

Postby ActRaiser1 » October 14th, 2011, 6:17 pm

[QUOTE=James]There are lots of painters 'like' Thomas Benton

There are lots of writers 'like' Earnest Hemingway

There are lots of bands 'like' Pearl Jam

There are lots of cars 'like' my 1968 Ford Galaxy

Oh wait. You do not want 'like' you want 'THE' for your own personal reasons?

Oh gee whiz. There went the wind out of those sails. As far as sales, on average LIVE is just as expensive if not more expensive than Wiiware, from what my brief research tells me. Not adding in LIVE subscriptions for their online play and their poor mans cable service, etc.

But I do not own a Wii or a 360, so I do not care. I am not looking to buy games 'like' the ones I mentioned, I am looking to but 'THE' games I mentioned. I am sure iOS has tons of games 'like' the ones I mentioned, in addition to stolen games approved for the service, but I do not own an iOS device either.

Nothing passive aggressive about noting the sea change in games on a Sony console either. Just factual analysis.

[/QUOTE]

And, it's started.

Perhaps, I shouldn't have called out steer as the logic fallacy has started?  Anyways, "you" mentioned other systems.  If you want to buy a 3DS, then by all means buy one.  What on earth is stopping you?  Did you sell your Wii? 

As for Xbox Live games, I only tend to buy games when they're on sale at 50% off or so.  That makes most games under the $5 mark and closer to what I would have paid as a videogame rental.  Pretty good deal from that perspective but I'm a cheap bastard. 

I think we have a different opinion as to what "factual" means.  If you're ever in the Twin Cities let me know.  Again, I'm sure we'd have a great time sharing a beer and throwing some quarters into whatever machine is around.  On the forums we tend to get pretty testy with each other (which I'm going to walk away from at this point).

Josh

Postby Josh » October 14th, 2011, 6:46 pm

Boy James/Steer, you just showed your hand with that last post. But whatever. What'd you do? Sell your Wii?

The great thing about XBLA is that you can try out the demos. Reviews are just opinions and opinions are like . . . you know - everybody's got one. The demo's are great in that you can get a feel for a game and not waste money on something that is highly rated yet sucks to you.

But whatever - like Actraiser said, go buy a 3DS if you want to. Whatever floats your boat.

James M

Postby James M » October 14th, 2011, 7:23 pm

Well, I am walking away too - this topic is ruined anyway.

I have no idea why people are so fixated on 'system equality' - my comment was merely that when I looked at the PS3 game shelf recently it did not look like the PS2 shelf used to look. It looked like an XBOX shelf. Sure, thats fine, but not my cup of tea - I am sure many here agree.

Just thought it was interesting 3DS seems to be the 'Japanese Game' stronghold.

Sudz1

Postby Sudz1 » October 14th, 2011, 7:42 pm

[QUOTE=James McCloud]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1ktE8hzxO8

Imagine games having bright graphics and music instead of.....well, you know.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I understand this statement.  "Imagine having bright graphics and music instead of..." what?  What are you trying to insinuate with this sentence?  Are you saying games for the 360 or PS3 do not have bright graphics or music?  Because there are lots of games for each systems that have plenty of both.

Personally I'd recommend staying away from the 3DS at this point, unless you'd like one JUST for this game.  It's pretty obvious now it's going to be a complete flop and I doubt many more games are going to published for it before it's relegated to the dustbin. 

Blueguy1

Postby Blueguy1 » October 14th, 2011, 10:55 pm

Yeah, I can't tell if this guy's steer or not. But anyways Cave Story 3D looks great, similar to DKC Returns. Once I get a 3DS, I put it on my wish list

PacFan

Postby PacFan » October 14th, 2011, 11:42 pm

Mr.  McCloud I was in the U.S. Army and I can tell you I do not prefer games of that nature. But then it is people like me and other members of our various armed services that allow you to have the freedom to voice your words.

So the next time you play any games stop and think of the folks who never come back. Who knows it might make your gaming experience all that much better.  Heck just knowing your free to play what you want should make you feel better.

Leo1

Postby Leo1 » October 15th, 2011, 3:17 am

[QUOTE=James M]Well, I am walking away too - this topic is ruined anyway.

I have no idea why people are so fixated on 'system equality' - my comment was merely that when I looked at the PS3 game shelf recently it did not look like the PS2 shelf used to look. It looked like an XBOX shelf. Sure, thats fine, but not my cup of tea - I am sure many here agree.
[/QUOTE]

This idea that people shouldn't be able to feel like there are many excellent games available for all three platforms is very reminiscent of the person you say you aren't. When do you start talking about group-think?

There's a heck of a lot more to the Xbox 360 library and the Playstation 3 library than first person shooters and racers. There's no shortage of games like Afterburner Climax that offer bright and colorful graphics and arcade gameplay (A $10 XBLA/PSN release that puts to shame 99% of the WiiWare library). Heck, beyond Outrun Online Arcade, I'd say I haven't played a 360/PS3 first person shooter or racer since last winter other than 2 multiplayer races in Forza 3 with a friend last month. There's no shortage of the very games you're claiming are absent on either platform.

And frankly, in the trailer you posted, there isn't a heck of a lot in the "bright" graphics department that I can see. It's all rather dark and dreary looking without a lot of color. If I wanted bright graphics, I sure as heck wouldn't be playing that when I have games like this available. And that's on top of it just not looking very entertaining to me, despite being a fan of platformers.

Just going off that trailer, it looks like a modernized version of something I'd of written off as a generic platformer back in the 8/16 bit days, back when that genre was far more dominant than first person shooters are today. It certainly isn't going to encourage me to buy that based off a rather uninspired looking trailer, although I'd download a demo if such things were actually available on the 3DS (It appears after a search that such an established concept on every other downloadable service out there is absent or nearly so on the 3DS E-Shop).

James M

Postby James M » October 15th, 2011, 6:54 am

[QUOTE=Sudz][QUOTE=James McCloud]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1ktE8hzxO8

Imagine games having bright graphics and music instead of.....well, you know.

[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure I understand this statement.  "Imagine having bright graphics and music instead of..." what?  What are you trying to insinuate with this sentence?  Are you saying games for the 360 or PS3 do not have bright graphics or music?  Because there are lots of games for each systems that have plenty of both.

Personally I'd recommend staying away from the 3DS at this point, unless you'd like one JUST for this game.  It's pretty obvious now it's going to be a complete flop and I doubt many more games are going to published for it before it's relegated to the dustbin. 
[/QUOTE]

I am saying as of right now 3ds is not dominated by RAGE-like generic shooters. I am saying that right now you cannot buy the 2 games I mentioned, among dozens of others on either PS3 or 360. Good grief guy, are you aware some systems have exclusives? There is a reason there is more than one brand to buy, and that is a good thing. Lets face it, a lot of gamers only buy FPS type games and the rest of the market suffers. Nice to have a console or two where a developer knows more than Battlefield vs COD will sell.

No idea why you think the 3DS will be a complete flop, and I would say it is obvious it will not be a flop, since it is currently the strongest system going in a tough worldwide economy and is about to have its first holiday season.

I bet if you would go back in time and look at first year PS2 or Xbox 360 or ESPECIALLY PS3 sales you would call them dust bin flops as well, since you are a system equalitist. I have some some research pre purchase. One games? I think not.

Strong, strong bias on this board.

Oltobaz1

Postby Oltobaz1 » October 15th, 2011, 8:18 am

All consoles have exclusives beyond FPS, even the two
HD consoles. Let's not go there again, Steer.

Return to “Video Games General”