Dead System (DS)

General and high profile video game topics.
Alienblue

Dead System (DS)

Postby Alienblue » June 24th, 2006, 10:22 am

..Well, not DEAD but last night the touch screen started to fade and flicker...so it looks like This is it, I'm out of the game now. The top screen still comes in crystal clear so GBA games are fine..and the "touch" does work so I'm guessing it can be fixed but not for less than $70....so; first has anyone else EVER had this happen? I didn't DO anything to it, it just "wore out"!

I guess I'll try selling it as is with FOUR like new games
(rub rabbits, Lost in blue, and a couple others...) for
$50 (plus shipping if it's by mail). That should put me 1/3
of the way to a DS lite....

All good things, I guess.....

Leo Ames

Dead System (DS)

Postby Leo Ames » June 24th, 2006, 10:39 am

Well it sounds like you've gotten a lot of use out of it and such, so its not much of a surprise. I'm shocked the touch screens are as durable as they are on it. I imagine in a couple years, they're going to start having issues for a lot of people.

As long as you're up front about everything that has happened to it and the condition it is in (Aren't you the one that had a iv break or something like that and got blood all over it?), you might get a few dollars out of it. But I'd try trading it into EB first, they even take systems that are having issues and sometimes can give a pretty decent trade in value on consoles (Broken PS2's were getting 70 or so last year, though last I heard EB only gives 40 this year). Frankly, I think you might get more for it by going that route than by selling it online or anything.

And I'd sell the games seperately, that usually maximizes the amount you get. Good luck on getting a DS Lite, do you have any games you can play in the meantime? All my titles barely use the touch screen at all (Super Mario 64, Mario Kart, and New Super Mario Brothers), its really nothing more than a status screen in those, so hopefully you have something to tide you over until you sell it.

Alienblue

Dead System (DS)

Postby Alienblue » June 24th, 2006, 1:18 pm

"Weren't you the one who....got blood all over it?" Sorta,
yeah but it wasn't as gory as it sounds. My IV connection came off and blood spurted across the room, landing on the table the DS was on....it was closed at the time so only a few drops got
on the case itself, which wiped clean. I DO NOT HAVE an EB games ANYWHERE in the state of Maine! I checked the listings....nearest is in Masachusets (in the U.S. anyway). I have tried selling these games at $10 each for months, no takers. I've had better luck in the past selling SYSTEMS with games; I'm honest and will explain it's problems-but-usueable state. Even in New SMB you go "down" to the bottom screen sometimes...Tetris DS and Zookeeper are too fadded to play...fortunately, yes I do have about 15 GBA games I can play while I have this. If anyone wants a listing of the games I'm selling, www.blufox.com is my "E". They are certainly worth $50 just for the games!

Leo Ames

Dead System (DS)

Postby Leo Ames » June 24th, 2006, 1:38 pm

I would not even mention it then if it just got on the system casing, doubtful it caused any problems other than 2 minutes to clean up.

EB/GameStop have several locations in Maine, at least at Bangor and Waterville. Good chance they're not too close to you though.

I had forgotten that New Super Mario Brothers did that, but it's pretty rare. Most underground areas don't do it strangely enough.

Might be worth calling Nintendo up. Though its debatable how good their tech support is, a good number of people have had good experiences with it and out of warranty repairs. Can't hurt to possibly get it repaired for free, you're out of the price of a phone call at the most!

Its unlikely, but try plugging in the AC adapter and turning it on and playing it directly that way. Your issue with your battery isn't normal, slim chance that it's not putting out the proper amount of voltage and is causing your problem.

a1

Dead System (DS)

Postby a1 » June 24th, 2006, 11:10 pm

I do agree that most of the time selling games separately would get more value, but for some reason this is not the case with the DS. People seem to pay more for a packaged DS than the cost of the individual items together on ebay. In your case it would be a great idea to explain that it plays GBA games. Because GBA still gets a decent chunk of cash on ebay, and some people might bid for the GBA alone, and others would bid to repair. List it as a GBA and DS, so people searching for a GBA would see it.

Alienblue

Dead System (DS)

Postby Alienblue » June 25th, 2006, 6:33 am

...sorry, you are right about EBgames in Bangor, Waterville, Portland and Manheim. But ALL those places are very far away and I have no car! If I DID have a car I'd drive 40 miles to Augusta to trade at the Used VG shop there, they are the best in maine as far as I know.(ours here in Rockland is experiancing a slump and only offering credit, not cash-no help!)...I already had that thought of the adaptor, since I had this flicker problem before but using two different adaptors doesn't work (yes I have two DS adaptors...long story!) AND I tried calling Nintendo who were very nice, but my warranty is way past and They were honest and said it was likely they'd have to REPLACE the system which, again, comes close to just buying a new DS lite. " a " (catchy name!) is right, bundeled HANDHELDS go for more than individual games. At the store, people are impulse buyers but they look at a "tiny" DS or GBA cart as being worth five bucks, at most!

Consumer Watchdog

Dead System (DS)

Postby Consumer Watchdog » June 25th, 2006, 1:06 pm

11/07/05 at 03:51 AM

[QUOTE=Alienblue]oops...I had a little accident here in the hospital last night. While playing a particularly hot round of METROID PINBALL, my IV got yanked out and blood from my hand spurted over the left side of the system. Fortunately the nurse came (gotta love those call buttons) and got me hooked back up and the sheets changed, and I cleaned off my DS with a damp cloth..no stains or anything remained.

Unfortunately, when I tried playing POLARIUM and ZOOKEEPER I found the stylus no longer will be picked up by the left side of the screen. ^%&$#@!! ):

Is there a quick fix for this or am I screwed? (This would make a good level for TRAUMA CENTER, wouldn't it!?)[/QUOTE]

Yesterday at 09:18 AM

[QUOTE=Alienblue]"Weren't you the one who....got blood all over it?" Sorta,
yeah but it wasn't as gory as it sounds. My IV connection came off and blood spurted across the room, landing on the table the DS was on....it was closed at the time so only a few drops got
on the case itself, which wiped clean.[/QUOTE]

Your stories don't agree.  I hope you're not trying to screw anyone.

Alienblue

Dead System (DS)

Postby Alienblue » June 25th, 2006, 1:52 pm

Dear Consumer Watchdog: I'm glad you are keeping track of these things but if you read the follow up to that post (in which someone on here helped me fix the system) you would understand: First, I was upset at the time, that my DS did not seem to function and may have made it sound worse then it was (in search of a WHY the system didn't seem to work)....my stories are both accurate. I was in the hospital, I needed to get up and my IV cord yanked out. Blood spurted all over the sheets, wall, etc, and a few drops landed on THE LEFT SIDE of the CLOSED system. When I cleaned it and tried to play it, it did not seem to work, so I assumed that was the reason. Not so: Someone here told me to "RECALIBRATE" the touch screen cursor...and hooray, it worked! Not sure to this day why it stopped then, but I'm not trying to screw anyone besides , possibly, KELLY CLARK ....everyone on here knows I have had multiple problems with this particular DS over time, but as of now: to repeat, TOP SCREEN WORKS PERFECTLY- BOTTOM SCREEN WORKS BUT FLICKERS LIKE MAD and is just barely playable (the TOUCH still works). Satisfied, Mr. Mulder? (:
Seriously, thank you for checking this out for people....

Return to “Video Games General”