Doom Revisited

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Doom Revisited

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 6th, 2011, 5:23 pm

As you all know, my latest review of Jaguar version of Doom drew some ire from the gaming community.

To be fair, I decided to take another look at all of my Doom console games and reevaluate them.  I had two friends over the other night who were die hard PC Doom players in the 90's.  They played all of my Doom games (six) and provided thoughtful feedback.  I will keep those in mind as I update my current Doom reviews and post a few new ones.

Will the VGC need to eat crow?  It could happen.  Stay tuned. 

I actually want to acquire a copy of Final Doom (PS1) to round out my collection.  There's also a good chance I will put together a "Doom Special".

Edward1

Doom Revisited

Postby Edward1 » December 6th, 2011, 11:46 pm

If you are doing a doom special, you might want to consider getting Doom 3: Resurrection of evil for Xbox.   That is a semi sequel to Doom 3, that is pretty good.   The best feature however is ports of Doom 1 and 2 that are very close to perfect.   Probably among the best on consoles.

Leo1

Doom Revisited

Postby Leo1 » December 7th, 2011, 3:41 am

[QUOTE=Edward]If you are doing a doom special, you might want to consider getting Doom 3: Resurrection of evil for Xbox.   That is a semi sequel to Doom 3, that is pretty good.   The best feature however is ports of Doom 1 and 2 that are very close to perfect.   Probably among the best on consoles.
[/QUOTE]

The Collector's Edition of Doom 3 on the Xbox has these bonuses as well.

Silver_Fox1

Doom Revisited

Postby Silver_Fox1 » December 7th, 2011, 11:42 am

How many console ports were there? SNES, 32X, Jaguar, 3DO, Psone, and Saturn. What about Doom64? I never played that version, it looks like a remixed version of Doom.

Final Doom felt like an expansion pack, they could've easily included that on the original ps1 port.

The graphics for Resurrection of Evil on Xbox seem a bit choppier than the Doom3 port. Maybe it's just me? The gravity gun was an obvious rip-off as well.

Verm1

Doom Revisited

Postby Verm1 » December 7th, 2011, 12:46 pm

Final Doom came out for PC, after Doom for the PS1. 1996 and 1995 respectively.

It's why the PS1 port was the first Doom port to include Doom2 and Ultimate Doom stuff; the older ports were released before either was released.

Doom64 is a completely new Doom game and not a port of one of the PC games.

Verm1

Doom Revisited

Postby Verm1 » December 7th, 2011, 12:48 pm

Abeit, some textures from Doom2 were used in the Jaguar/3DO/32X ports, as Doom2 was in development when said ports were made.

porypowerhour

Doom Revisited

Postby porypowerhour » December 7th, 2011, 3:05 pm

Doom and Doom II are both on GBA too

VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Doom Revisited

Postby VideoGameCritic » December 7th, 2011, 5:44 pm

Dag - I forgot about the Saturn version!  Guess I'll need to track that down too.

The Game Boy versions are a no-go, though.

wur1

Doom Revisited

Postby wur1 » December 7th, 2011, 5:51 pm

The GBA versions are actually pretty good (sans the green blood), in my view.  I thought they actually did a good job in making it all work.

Fingers dripping ink

Doom Revisited

Postby Fingers dripping ink » December 8th, 2011, 2:38 am

It's a shame the Doom RPG was never released to a console or handheld.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJBL_dclMcA

Return to “Video Games General”