PS vita: Success or failure.

General and high profile video game topics.
VideoGameCritic
Site Admin

Re: PS vita: Success or failure.

Postby VideoGameCritic » January 15th, 2017, 11:19 am

I think the Vita was a poor concept. Sony doesn't really understand video games anymore. The Vita has all the downsides of a full-blown console (install, slow loading, updates, expensive game, complicated controls) on a handheld. Sure it had great specs for a hand-held, but people aren't looking for cutting-edge on a portable.

I thought the purpose of a handheld system was something light and easy you could play "on the go". If I'm in a doctor's office with all sorts of distractions, the last thing I want to play is an epic Uncharted game with 15-minute cut-scenes.

Verdict: FAIL

eneuman96

Postby eneuman96 » January 15th, 2017, 2:02 pm

I think the Vita was a very promising concept before Sony decided to pretend it didn't exist. Tearaway (the original game) is a great example of the kind of creativity the Vita's hardware allowed. The system's controls were mostly improved from the PSP, and it got a surprising amount of support from indie companies. To this day, I still play a ton of quality indie titles on the Vita because it's the only way to play them on the go. I also always thought the interface for selecting games was a lot smoother than the 3DS (you can easily switch between previously selected apps like on a smartphone and you can take advantage of sleep mode as a sort of quicksave for your game). The biggest problem with the Vita is the ridiculously paltry amount of decent first-party titles and other exclusives.

Had Sony continued taking advantage of the system's hardware and, you know, ACTUALLY MAKING GAMES FOR IT, I think the Vita could have been a contender, even if it probably still would have ended up as second fiddle to the 3DS in the end.

BlasteroidAli

Postby BlasteroidAli » January 16th, 2017, 11:50 pm

Sony's version of the Sega game gear or Atari Lynx so much better than the competition but still got sunk...

Return to “Video Games General”